• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top Quality Assistant Coaches Who Got Away

Oh, forgot about him. I didn’t like Cotton and I never understood why Bo kept him so long.
Oh sorry forgot there. Cotton fits the bill of the TE coach role that he had late in his career. Someone that has other intangibles so you keep them on. With 9 assistants you needed to be more tactical. You aren't wrong. But his kids coming here was a great offset.

Joe Rudolph, Wisconsin OC and O-line coach was here for a year.

Joe Moglia, coached under Bo here for a year or two.

Funny thing about Steele. He came really close to getting canned, damn near lost the entire LB room, and but for TO being TO, he probably ain't remotely close to the top of the list of ''top quality assistants'.
He was a yeller, screamer, and a cusser at the kids (well I guess Mcbride might have had colorful language too.) T.O. would look the other way and let them do their own thing. But, again I may be foggy, but I think one thing that Steele did more then anything was introduce the zone blitz to Mcbride. Yes, after 95 Steele left, but I believe he had a connection to Dom Capers (the man who bought him to the NFL after the Fiesta). Capers was the architect of the zone blitz (I think) and Steele showed it to charlie. Also, again on long ago memories, when Steele announced his leaving-I think Charlie offered to step aside (switch places) to keep him there.
Yes, I remember of the LB room turmoil. think he had to eat some crow on that to his players.

I think Steele was wanting to come
In with pelini but pelini turned him down or didn’t even offer. I could be wrong though that’s been awhile ago
Steele has never been wanting to come to Nebraska since he left.

Last edited:

He was a yeller, screamer, and a cusser at the kids (well I guess Mcbride might have had colorful language too.) T.O. would look the other way and let them do their own thing. But, again I may be foggy, but I think one thing that Steele did more then anything was introduce the zone blitz to Mcbride. Yes, after 95 Steele left, but I believe he had a connection to Dom Capers (the man who bought him to the NFL after the Fiesta). Capers was the architect of the zone blitz (I think) and Steele showed it to charlie. Also, again on long ago memories, when Steele announced his leaving-I think Charlie offered to step aside (switch places) to keep him there.
Yes, I remember of the LB room turmoil. think he had to eat some crow on that to his players.

Steele was hell on the student-managers. I do know that much.

Interesting that removing Troy Walters was seen as essential, yet he was just promoted to a Receiver’s Coach for the Bengals. Although the Bengals, it’s still a valid NFL promotion, for someone Frost cut loose.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back