• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 8 Players Currently in the Transfer Portal

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
USA Today recently published an article ranking the top players in the transfer portal (as of March 26.)

9. Kaitlyn Davis, 6'1" F (Columbia) All Ivy League selection. Had the first triple double in school history in January.

8. Maria Gakdeng, 6'1" F (Boston College) Averaged 1.8 blocks per game, third in the ACC. Started 65 of 66 games for BC.

7. Destinee Wells, 5'6" G (Belmont). Has two years of eligibility remaining. Improved her 3-point shooting from 30% last season to 45% this season.

6. Kennedy Todd-Williams, 6'0" G (North Carolina)

Only UNC player to play in all 33 games this year. Second on her team in scoring (13.4 ppg) and third in rebounding (5.4 rpg.) Has two years of eligibility remaining.

5. Kennedy Fauntleroy, 5'7" G (Georgetown)

A top 75 recruit last season. Georgetown went 14-17 and didn't renew Head Coach James Howard's contract. Fauntleroy has three years of eligibility remaining.

4. Jayda Curry, 5'6" G (Cal)

Not related to Steph Curry. Led Cal in scoring (15.5 ppg), assists (3.5 apg) and 3-point shooting (33.5%) this season. Was PAC-12 Freshman of the Year last year and All PAC-12 this year. Scored at least 20 points in games against five NCAA tournament teams this season. Two years of eligibility remaining.

3. Frannie Hottinger, 6'1" F (Lehigh).

Patriot League Player of the Year. 20.4 ppg, 9.7 rpg. 43.8% shooter this year. One year of eligibility remaining. She's from Inner Grove Heights, Minnesota. Sam, Callin, Anni and Kendall Coley probably either played against or with Hottinger before college.

2. Taina Mair, 5'9" G (Boston College)

Selected to the ACC All Freshman team this year. 9th in the country in assists (6.6 apg). Also scored 11.1 ppg.
Three years of eligibility remaining.

1. Kiki Jefferson 6'1" G (James Madison)

Sun Belt Player of the Year. 18.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 2.9 apg. Shot 33.6% from three and 42.6 from the floor. Started in 109 games for JMU over four years. Graduate transfer with one year left.

IMO, the Huskers need to get a top transfer (or more) this offseason. If Issie and Jaz stay, IMO the coaches owe it to them to go "all in" on beating Iowa and winning the Big 10 in 23-24. If they leave and Nebraska doesn't get multiple top 10-20 players from the portal, next season may be ugly...because Clark can't leave for the WNBA and tOSU and Iowa's run in the tournament is going to help their recruiting immensely.

Last edited:

IMO, the Huskers need to get a top transfer (or more) this offseason. If Issie and Jaz stay, IMO the coaches owe it to them to go "all in" on beating Iowa and winning the Big 10 in 23-24. If they leave and Nebraska doesn't get multiple top 10-20 players from the portal, next season may be ugly...because Clark can't leave for the WNBA and tOSU and Iowa's run in the tournament is going to help their recruiting immensely.

I would be completely shocked if our roster gets upgraded to the level it would need to be to win the Big 10 next season. Let's set the realistic goal as an NCAA tournament bid and a bye in the conference tournament.

USA Today recently published an article ranking the top players in the transfer portal (as of March 26.)

Good Article :thumbsup: ..... While wonders may never cease, it is difficult to see any of those players having an interest in coming to Nebraska. None are close geographically, and there does not seem to be any connection apparent to the State that might be attractive. Come to Nebraska and help propel us to national prominence could be a calling card, but any number of teams could use that same card.

Nevertheless the point @SWVA makes we must tap the Transfer market to fill needs is well taken. Amy has had her successes in recruiting (particularly in-state i.e. keeping the two best players, and in Minnesota) and tapping the Portal. Jaz Shelly (Australia & Issie connection), Maddie Krull (coming home), Bella Cravens (Hawaii; half-way (well 1/3 maybe) to Australia ;)), Ashley Scoggin, and MiCole Cayton. Misses too: Nailah Dillard, Trinity Brady, (both injured and unlikely to see on the court).

So there is that: highly-rated or not, undoubtedly there are Quality players available, and interested in Nebraska, that could help the Huskers achieve their goals (nor is the State devoid of upcoming talented players).

Also mentioned, we owe it to the players to go "all-in." Now that he has hired a coach who is getting the Football Program heading in a good direction, Trev should be free to devote more attention to the Basketball programs.

It will be a task for Trev to see what he can do to encourage the Women's Basketball program to 'step-it-up' a level in the off season. NCAA approving two more assistant coaches for WBB should be an opportunity to supplement skills already on the coaching staff; Skills like Recruiting (always needed) and player development.

I would be completely shocked if our roster gets upgraded to the level it would need to be to win the Big 10 next season. Let's set the realistic goal as an NCAA tournament bid and a bye in the conference tournament.

I'd settle for finally "getting over the hump" and beating Iowa.

Why would you be surprised if the roster isn't upgraded enough to win the B1G? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that only signing Krull from the portal was a decision the coaches made, not something that happened because nobody else in the portal wanted to come to Lincoln. I recall Amy Williams commenting that in getting players who "fit" in your team culture is really important. IMO they only signed Krull because she "fit" the culture and the coaches didn't want to screw up the team culture created in 21-22.

Depending on who stays, the Huskers will have multiple roster spots they need to fill next season. We know Sam's gone. There's an NCAA rule that allows an injured player to retain their scholarship but not count against the roster size/scholarship limit. IMO the coaches need to discuss that option with Brady and Dillard. Dillard hasn't played in two years. It's almost impossible to compete in the B1G with only 10 players unless you get really lucky and nobody gets injured. Counting on luck like that is a bad strategy. It worked in 21-22, not so much this year because Sam and Allison had major injuries.

UConn and other top 25 teams can only take so many players. UConn in particular is only losing two players, and Page Buekers is back next season. So they may not have room for more than 1 player from the portal.

This list is also heavy on players from the NE and South. It'll be interesting to see if KU, KSU or any B1G teams lose players to the portal after the tournament ends. It might be easier to get those kids to come to Lincoln.

Last edited:

I'd settle for finally "getting over the hump" and beating Iowa.

Why would you be surprised if the roster isn't upgraded enough to win the B1G? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that only signing Krull from the portal was a decision the coaches made, not something that happened because nobody else in the portal wanted to come to Lincoln. I recall Amy Williams commenting that in getting players who "fit" in your team culture is really important. IMO they only signed Krull because she "fit" the culture and the coaches didn't want to screw up the team culture created in 21-22.

Depending on who stays, the Huskers will have multiple roster spots they need to fill next season. We know Sam's gone. There's an NCAA rule that allows an injured player to retain their scholarship but not count against the roster size/scholarship limit. IMO the coaches need to discuss that option with Brady and Dillard. Dillard hasn't played in two years. It's almost impossible to compete in the B1G with only 10 players unless you get really lucky and nobody gets injured. Counting on luck like that is a bad strategy. It worked in 21-22, not so much this year because Sam and Allison had major injuries.

UConn and other top 25 teams can only take so many players. UConn in particular is only losing two players, and Page Buekers is back next season. So they may not have room for more than 1 player from the portal.

This list is also heavy on players from the NE and South. It'll be interesting to see if KU, KSU or any B1G teams lose players to the portal after the tournament ends. It might be easier to get those kids to come to Lincoln.

I don't think any player who gets a transfer offer from a U Conn, South Carolina, etc...picks Nebraska over them.

Could we get enough players to make a run in the Big Ten? Maybe. I just doubt will we able to catch the conference leaders, three of which just made the Elite 8 and another was a 1-seed.

Sorry @SWVAHusker :redface: but I didn't mean to overstate the case for players not coming to Nebraska.

Lincoln has a lot going for it! First off, (imho) I think Lincoln is a Great College town. In addition to being a very attractive city, it is large enough to offer municipal advantages and attractions. yet not so big as to be a distraction. Other attractions are team culture, camaraderie and unparalleled community support and involvement. All highlighted by Jaz in her announcement that she is returning next year, as well as coaching and player development.

We may not get any in the 'Top Eight' but there are a lot of other top talent players who may like what they see happening in Lincoln and could see themselves contributing their skills toward realizing a dream.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back