• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Top 50 OC of 2021!

MiniDisk

Run game... Whats that?
2 Year Member
I’d go by this…2021- #5 good!!!

40’s, 70’s and 100’s not so good???

Whipple lead offense scoring rank:
2021 pitt - #5
2020 pitt - #78
2019 pitt - #106

2018 UM - #41
2017 UM - #48
2016 UM - #108
2015 UM - #104
2014 UM - #70
i think i will continue to go by wins and losses

70county

Red Shirt
15 Year Member
Ask yourself how good was AM?
The question is not how good the QB is…you have some good ones, some maybe not so good. The question has to be how good is your offense if your QB is not/not yet (underclassmen, poor supportering cast, poor protection…) a heisman candidate. Because unless your Alabama, OSU, Georgia…. Your not gonna have one every year… Ask mark whipple how good his other QB’s have been aside from a seasoned Pickett. Can you still score? The numbers for over a decade have said not really.

Last edited:

70county

Red Shirt
15 Year Member
Ask yourself how good was AM?

A lot better than most fans give him credit for

And not as good as others claim. It’s definitely somewhere in the middle. He’s not in the top ten quarterbacks of his class but he’s not hot garbage either. He’s a ver above average quarterback and a excellent athlete.

Yup, I think he balls out at K-State, and I'm the biggest K-State disliker I know lol

For him I hope you’re right. I’ve never disliked the person just the player. Sometimes I think there is a group of people on here that don’t understand that. I’m not including you in that group. I think he deserved a lot of the criticism but I also think the whole offense deserves it with him.

We are going to find out. If he kills it at Kansas State, we’ll know there were problems here all along.

He should put up monster numbers. Less pressure off the field, less pressure on it, and weaker defenses. I'd love to see him have a spectacular year and he should.

It is going to look downright bizarre seeing him in that ugly frickin uniform.

I happen to think KSU will challenge for the Big 12. I think this will be Kleiman’s best team yet.

And still not as good as most fans say he was

Yep lots to do with the new OC…:Banghead:

NorthwoodHusker

All Legend
The question is not how good the QB is…you have some good ones, some maybe not so good. The question has to be how good is your offense if your QB is not/not yet (underclassmen, poor supportering cast, poor protection…) a heisman candidate. Because unless your Alabama, OSU, Georgia…. Your not gonna have one every year… Ask mark whipple how good his other QB’s have been aside from a seasoned Pickett. Can you still score? The numbers for over a decade have said not really.
So, you're saying it was the QB?
It sure sounds that way.
Again, if you have a talent such as AM is, the question is, can Whipple coach him up and or around his weaknesses?
Did Pickett have weaknesses? Did they avoid them or strengthen them?

There's a good chance we will have another talented QB such as AM, so will Whipple put him in the best position to win?
Asking if he will score is a blend of talent around him, how well that talent is coached to perform the plays etc, but the plays start with QB success.
I think a Heisman candidate isn't a self creation, like you said, the surrounding talent etc all plays a part, but the coaches job is to meld that talent into a consistently successful game, and thats when a Pickett can shine, because he's been put in a position to win.

I'm not so certain AM was able to grow into that consistency, and going to KSU, and I trust their staff to put its players in positions to win, I think we see a better AM.

I think we see a better Smothers too.

Last edited:

Hotlanta Husker

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
I do hope that you guys realize what an accomplishment it was for UMASS to be in the 40s... UMASS is BOTTOM 5 in athletes in FBS football. That means Whipple was able to schematically create offense there. If you don' think that is a good offensive mind... not sure what to tell you.

When he arrived at Pitt... their offense was PEDESTRIAN in all phases... he made them into damn near unstoppable this year.

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
I do hope that you guys realize what an accomplishment it was for UMASS to be in the 40s... UMASS is BOTTOM 5 in athletes in FBS football. That means Whipple was able to schematically create offense there. If you don' think that is a good offensive mind... not sure what to tell you.

When he arrived at Pitt... their offense was PEDESTRIAN in all phases... he made them into damn near unstoppable this year.

FWIW, when Whipple coached at UMass, they were FCS.

I think most believe Whipple is a capable OC. My question is can he turn our offense around quick enough? Pitt's offense was mediocre to poor for Whipple's first two seasons, then they exploded in year three.

70county

Red Shirt
15 Year Member
So, you're saying it was the QB?
It sure sounds that way.
Again, if you have a talent such as AM is, the question is, can Whipple coach him up and or around his weaknesses?
Did Pickett have weaknesses? Did they avoid them or strengthen them?

There's a good chance we will have another talented QB such as AM, so will Whipple put him in the best position to win?
Asking if he will score is a blend of talent around him, how well that talent is coached to perform the plays etc, but the plays start with QB success.
I think a Heisman candidate isn't a self creation, like you said, the surrounding talent etc all plays a part, but the coaches job is to meld that talent into a consistently successful game, and thats when a Pickett can shine, because he's been put in a position to win.

I'm not so certain AM was able to grow into that consistency, and going to KSU, and I trust their staff to put its players in positions to win, I think we see a better AM.

I think we see a better Smothers too.
i agree with several points you make....but, are we in the market of developing QB for the NFL or winning college football games? my goal is not to see how well we can develop a QB, but to win games. in regards to the misinformation above, the play starts with the success of the offensive line, this is not 7 on 7 summer league.

mark whipple has been involved with (ONE) 10 win season in college football. that was last year with pickett putting up big numbers. the 2 prior years with pickett at the helm, the panthers were 1 & 2 games above .500. and this is with the best QB whipple has ever had in college. contrary to the common thought around here, nebraska was ranked HIGHER in points per game by a wide margin in 2019 NU-63 Pitt-106 and while pitt outranked NU in 2020, they still were a dismal 78 nationally. the third year in the system with pickett, the jumped to last seasons ranking of 5 (?)

my last point, i don't want to throw away 2 season or more of developing a QB and have virtually what we have now to reach 10 wins...(remember nebraska's offense was better by a wide margin in 2019 in a better conference top to bottom) perhaps we can get 1 great QB after another in lincoln and have a chance that everything falls into place for a 10+ win season every 3 years, but zac taylor or maybe joe ganz was the last time we had a generally agreed upon QB. they don't come easy. wisconsin, iowa, minnesota, michigan, ohio state, alabama, georgia... youy name it, the consistently good teams run the ball first regardless if they are big good or sec good, formula is the same. run the ball, be good year to year and be great when things fall into place with great QB. if Whipple can do that, im all in...