• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Top 5 Husker Heisman Snubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

I always thought that Nebraska was robbed of a Heisman (Eddie George over Tommie Frazier in 1995) and got one they should not have (Eric Crouch over Rex Grossman in 2001). Ndamukong Suh was clearly the best player in 2009, but like other great defensive lineman (Steve Emtman, Washington in 1991 and Warren Sapp, Miami in 1994) they get no consideration. Those three guys were clearly the best players in college football those years and should have walked away with the Heisman.

i always felt that the voters gave george the heisman in 95 as a token to the big 10 and penn state for being left out of the national title in 1994 after undefeated season. in return, after realizing their mistake following the 96 fiesta bowl, i believe crouch received many votes from men remembering that 1995 snub of frazier and certainly a better understanding of a good option QB.

Last edited:
None of these players were snubbed. In 1995, LP was our Heisman candidate and would have won easily but he blew it. Frazier was an after-thought for the Heisman and it is only because of the mess-up by LP that he was later considered. Had he thrown in a few performances like the one (Fiesta Bowl-Florida) he had AFTER the Heisman voting was over, he may have had a chance, but he didn't. As the years pass, the legend of TF getting screwed grows....but without merit. Gill was never really prominent for the Heisman as Rozier was the clear choice. Suh may have been the best player but everyone knew (or should have known) he had "0" chance to win an offensive award like the Heisman. Green would have given it a run had he not eliminated himself by grabbing the money as a junior--no snubs there except by AG. With LP, that ugly situation speks for itself. Bottom line: No snubs

Last edited:
I was telling a coworker about this article today. He is a Sooners fan and said, "Although Nebraska was snubbed with Frazier, Nebraska got a gift when Eric Crouch was awarded the Heisman." He might be right.

Tagge should have had more recognition than he did in '71. Great qb of the national championship team. That said, Greg Pruitt was really shafted that year.

Why everyone doggin on EC? Dude was a stud. The aftermath doesn't tell ya how he was holding the entire thing together? His highlight reel not good enough? MO road game end zone to end zone busting ankles the whole way. Or blowing up the Iowa DB? Stats? Sometimes the H is a career award.

You EC doggers suck!

Tagge should have had more recognition than he did in '71. Great qb of the national championship team. That said, Greg Pruitt was really shafted that year.

According to the author they didn't play football before the early 80s or something like that.

Not a bad list.

Personally, I swap Ahman Green for Dave Rimington.

And yes, Crouch deserved the Hype-sman.

I totally agree, post bowl game vote and T-Fraizer has the stiff arm dude.

Crouch deserved the Heisman™. He was pretty amazing that year and in his career. Plus he had two signature plays that made him stand out to voters...

(in a matchup of #1 vs. #2)
[video=youtube;gJtZYKIzzZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJtZYKIzzZE[/video]

(from a near-safety to a touchdown)
[video=youtube_share;OpKbCjd9Bns]http://youtu.be/OpKbCjd9Bns[/video]

Last edited:
Also, I thought Frazier became a major candidate for the Heisman™ pretty early in the 1995 season (Remember, LP was gone after two games). It wasn't just an afterthought. At the time it was the closest vote in the history of the award. But like Bilsker said, it's a stats trophy and Frazier's stats weren't impressive enough. But if they did the vote after the Fiesta Bowl, it would've been a landslide. I also agree to a certain extent that Crouch got extra favor because of Frazier's snub. No option quarterback had ever won the Heisman™ so some people wanted to see that kind of player get recognition. Since the GREATEST EVER didn't win it in 1995. But Crouch won it with his play on the field. Just watch those two videos above and tell me he wasn't the most outstanding player in football that year.

Last edited:
i always felt that the voters gave george the heisman in 95 as a token to the big 10 and penn state for being left out of the national title in 1994 after undefeated season. in return, after realizing their mistake following the 96 fiesta bowl, i believe crouch received many votes from men remembering that 1995 snub of frazier and certainly a better understanding of a good option QB.

So it's all like a poorly referee'd game? Lots of errors and make-up calls? LOL, I think it's silly to think anyone would vote for Eric in 2001 as a make up for not voting for Tommie 6 years earlier.

Why everyone doggin on EC? Dude was a stud. The aftermath doesn't tell ya how he was holding the entire thing together? His highlight reel not good enough? MO road game end zone to end zone busting ankles the whole way. Or blowing up the Iowa DB? Stats? Sometimes the H is a career award.

You EC doggers suck!

Agreed. Without EC that 2001 team was...well...2002.

Thank you O'Husker! You can check out my articles on B/R. I usually write an objective view of the Huskers 2-3 times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back