• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 NU plays you've seen in person

1. Stuntz to Crouch
2. The entire 1994 Colorado game. Only time I have felt concrete move under my feet.
Can't think of any others that I was there in person.

Brook Berringer TD run with broken ribs against Wyoming
Crouch dodging the entire Missouri team for a 95 yard TD
Helu scoring a long TD run on the first play from scrimmage against Missouri... and then later in the game from long distance... and then again from long distance...

OK, that's more than 3, but that last grouping was just too much fun.

I've only been to two games, ever. 1996 Colorado State @ Nebraska and 2017 Nebraska @ Oregon.

I don't know anything remarkable about that CSU game, but the NU-Oregon game here in Eugene featured an incredible second-half rally (but alas, not a win) by the Huskers. I gained a lot of respect from local fans here who thought that the game was over by halftime. Watching Nebraska storm back from adversity and almost win the game after most Duck fans had written it off as a win was pretty cool to witness.

It's also one of the rare times I felt like I saw a lot of scrappiness and mental fight from a Mike Riley team.

THE HIT

1978 John Ruud on Kelly Phelps

THE RUN

1995 Fiesta Bowl. Tommie Frazier v Florida

"How many tackles can one man break?"

THE PICK 6 (BY A D-LINEMAN)

Big Suh's Interception v. Colorado to ice the game in Lincoln, 2008

Last edited:
THE HIT

1978 John Ruud on Kelly Phelps

THE RUN

1995 Fiesta Bowl. Tommie Frazier v Florida

"How many tackles can one man break?"

THE PICK 6 (BY A D-LINEMAN)

Big Suh's Interception v. Colorado to ice the game in Lincoln, 2008

Exactly!!! and in the correct order too :Biggrin:

1. Dave Walline hit on Joe Moore. 1970 Missouri game. Moore was carried off on a stretcher with dislocated shoulder.
2. Johnny Rogers punt return for TD vs. Iowa State. 1971.
3. Craig Johnson 94 yard run from scrimmage vs. Kansas 1979.

I'm sure I saw some more exciting plays, just can't think of them now. I remember a fantastic IM Hipp TD vs. Colorado. don't remember what year. I mostly saw home games. I can remember a few that went against us also. The 98 yard TD pass by Missouri in the mid 70s stands out. That ball was caught directly in front of where I was sitting.

Last edited:

I was in Mizzou for the Frost-Davison fleakicker. Terrible seats in upper corner, freezing cold night, and Mizzou fans berating my brother and I saying stuff like ‘Huskers are overrated”. We got the last laugh and it made the weather conditions more tolerable and the drive home (I lived in St Louis at the time) much nicer.

Since it was really hard to see on the field action on a play like that, I actually enjoyed watching the game on videotape when I got home though. Really tough to see what happened LIVE. And I still have the videotape of that game taken that night.

Last edited:
In person
Rozier run vs UCLA
Stuntz to Crouch
Ruud hit in OU game
Sims fumble
hail Mary vs Northwestern
Frazier run vs Florida
Henery kick vs Colorado

In college I lived 3 rooms down from Irving and Turner in Able hall. Didn't know anything about them at the time but they told a bunch of us one night to come watch the Freshman game against......it might have been Air Force. I watched a remarkable play that I still remember. Turner faked a handoff up the middle and stepped back in the pocket with the ball hidden behind his back. He could have drank a coke back there because nobody knew he still had the ball. Nobody was even needing to be blocked as every one on defense went after the running back. After what seemed like 5 minutes but was probably 3 seconds he just flicked a little 60 yarder down field to a wide open Irving Fryer. I think we won the shortened game by like 40-0.

I'll just do ones with anniversaries ending in zero.

!968 Guy Ingles' 62 yard punt return
1978 John Ruud The hit against OU
1988 With Nebraska leading 7-0, CU's JJ Flanagan breaks free and will score untouched from 43 yards out but fumbles for no apparent reason. CU recovered but NU held and won the game 7-0.
1998 I only saw the bowl game against Arizona that year and nothing was memorable about that game.
2008 Alex Henery's 57 yarder and the Suh Interception
2018 Kahlil Davis' sack of the CU QB Montez. It made feel like everything will be okay with the defense.

I haven't seen many of the big plays, but there was one memorable play I saw at Folsom Field years ago.

CU had a DB named Ben Kelly who went on to the NFL. He was really cocky before that game and was talking about being able to handle NU runners. And then big Dan Alexander rumbled down the field (seems like 50+ yards), leaving Kelly in the dust.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back