• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

Some smoke around Lane Kiffin today. Any fire to it? I hadn't thought about him, But I don't think i would be against it at all.

But are you comparing Lincoln to Ames, Manhattan, or Lawrence?
As I'm sure you are aware, most of the buildings in the Haymarket were built in the early 1900s. The Lincoln City council designated the area an historic landmark district in 1982, which meant that when renovations took place in the 1990s, they had to be period correct.

IMO, it's the only part of the downtown area that has any character or interest. But putting aside our disagreement about aesthetics, when exactly was the opportunity to make it look like a basketball arena built 30 years after it became an historic landmark?
I'll take your word for it that the Haymarket is an historical landmark. But if so, it is surprising the number of historic buildings that were torn down over time. I would say that PBA certainly isn't consistent with the historic appearance of the Haymarket district nor are any of the newer structures: HUDL? The parking garages?

Name one building built in the last 10 years (PBA opened in 2013) that has any sort of historical reference in its architecture.

There isn't one new building that has any sort of character or interest. Whereas, those historical buildings you referenced generally do.

Last edited:

Well, then we’re in agreement on this. O’Brien wouldn’t work here because he excels at overseeing competition among ’the best of the best,’ but can’t coach up average players (which we have here). Just wouldn’t be a good fit or a good outcome…
Who said he can’t coach up average players? I was describing how Alabama works. And why would any good coach recruit “average players”? And why do you think that only “average” players can be recruited to Nebraska. TO certainly didn’t think that.

Who said he can’t coach up average players? I was describing how Alabama works. And why would any good coach recruit “average players”? And why do you think that only “average” players can be recruited to Nebraska. TO certainly didn’t think that.
you have to meet all the criteria for the circumstances. neb is never gonna get the recruiting that alabama gets, they didnt even when TO was coaching, but he made those lesser players better than the bama players when they did start in year 3/4. thats the development part that people forget about and why its so crucial. and thats the reason i dont like obrien as a good fit here, hes not proven he can do that specific requirement. Yes it is a requirement at nebraska, thats never been a question in the past and it wont be in the future.

you have to meet all the criteria for the circumstances. neb is never gonna get the recruiting that alabama gets, they didnt even when TO was coaching, but he made those lesser players better than the bama players when they did start in year 3/4. thats the development part that people forget about and why its so crucial. and thats the reason i dont like obrien as a good fit here, hes not proven he can do that specific requirement. Yes it is a requirement at nebraska, thats never been a question in the past and it wont be in the future.
I agree that development of players is key at Nebraska and everywhere else. It’s an error, though to think that just because Alabama gets great players that they don’t also develop them. They get the best players and they develop them as well as anyone. Players show up there with talent, and they improve and get better. Saban leaves nothing to chance.

Could O’Brien recruit top talent to Nebraska? Certainly not in the numbers that are recruited to Alabama. Can he develop talent…..I’m not entirely sure, so I do see your point. I think the guy can coach, but like you, I am worried about the recruiting and developing parts.

Some smoke around Lane Kiffin today.
usp_ncaa_football__north_texas_at_florida_atlantic_95742455-e1512238891629.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back