• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

I don’t want anyone who has “done well under difficult conditions.” “Think of what they could do here…” Etc. I want someone who has won big. Period. I don’t want 7-5 an 8-4 and we wonder what the ceiling is. I want someone who knows how to win conference championships at least, and national championships if possible.

They don’t necessarily have to have been an HC and done that, but at least been on a staff that has. I think you have to be able to point to skins on the wall for recruiting and fan support and team support.

That’s why I want Fickell and whoever else might fit that bill. I don’t want Aranda, O’Brien, Campbell.

We also need big recruiters. That doesn’t just mean getting, it means keeping. I know our classes have been “OK” but we have lacked all conference talent since 2010 on defense and many of those guys were recruited by John Blake.

We need an HC who can pull 1-2 big name assistants. We don’t need a top 5 class or anything right now. Not going to happen until we have some success. But we need somebody who can get players at each level of defense and offense who could at least *start* at the top 4-5 Big Ten programs. Right now, we don’t have that.

Then, get some all-conference level guys. Then some all-Americans.

Look at our roster and then look at the players on the wall in the complex. We aren’t going to get to the top with a bunch of guys who wouldn’t start at Oklahoma or Michigan State for that matter. Let alone Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

I’d take the equivalent of Frank and his .753 winning pct back any time. Frank himself is too old. Frank Solich, Craig Bohl and Turner Gill are representative of the Tom Osborne coaching tree. I don’t consider Scott Frost to be a part of that. Frost played for Osborne but did not coach under him.
Absolutely agreed. Matt Campbell at Iowa State is their winningest coach with a .570, as an example.

Better than Callahan, Riley, or Frost, but come on. We need someone with a track record. That said, we are in a cycle of rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
I don’t want anyone who has “done well under difficult conditions.” “Think of what they could do here…” Etc. I want someone who has won big. Period. I don’t want 7-5 an 8-4 and we wonder what the ceiling is. I want someone who knows how to win conference championships at least, and national championships if possible.

They don’t necessarily have to have been an HC and done that, but at least been on a staff that has. I think you have to be able to point to skins on the wall for recruiting and fan support and team support.

That’s why I want Fickell and whoever else might fit that bill. I don’t want Aranda, O’Brien, Campbell.
Not sure that makes sense. By your own standard, Aranda won a Natty as DC and AHC at LSU, and O’Brien is at Alabama. And Fickell’s P5 HC record is 6-6 regular season. Seems like O’Brien and Aranda better fit your bill.

Not sure that makes sense. By your own standard, Aranda won a Natty as DC and AHC at LSU, and O’Brien is at Alabama. And Fickell’s P5 HC record is 6-6 regular season. Seems like O’Brien and Aranda better fit your bill.
Aranda might, sorry, I wasn’t totally versed in his record as an assistant. As far as O’Brien, he hasn’t spent much time at Alabama and that is sort of a unique machine. A lot of coaches have come in and out of there. I would need to see more of a record of O’Brien at Alabama to know. But the rest of his record just doesn’t jump off the page. Yes, he did well as PSU “under the circumstances” but he does not have a proven record of major success.

Fickell was a long time assistant at an Ohio State team that is at the nationally elite level and has taken Cincinnati to the CFP. To me, that’s enough of a record.

one of the reasons that I really like the BO'B idea is the fact that he has a bunch of head coaching experience without currently being a head coach which means that he'll have tons of options and liberty when assembling a staff.

Coaches are extremely loyal to their assistants - oftentimes (as we have seen here) to their detriment. I think that Aranda would be an Awesome hire. but can you imagine him leaving his S&C guy or half of his assistants without jobs when he takes the NU job? - - probably not. it is more likely we see a fHCSF move where almost his whole entourage just changes shirts (maybe/hopefully not as extensively as frost did this)

BO'B would be perfectly set up to draw from the whole pool of available assistants and staff. he has connections all over football. I'm assuming trev is willing to open the checkbook for assistant coach payroll (seeing how he just dropped 8-mil for 3 weeks of frostlessness) BO'B is in the best position of anyone in this search to really take advantage of that and assemble something special

If you really like the idea of keeping Mickey / Busch / and or Ruud then BO'B should be your target - he will be able to assemble a 'super-staff' in a way that the candidates who are currently head coaches would likely not be

Why do you keep comparing the NFL to college. It is barely even the same sport. Not only that but you look at his performance at Alabama like he achieved something. Alabama was ranked #1 before he took over. Now they are number 2. So what? If anything you can say he has failed to perform. I would say that dropping one spot does not necessarily indicate this but Alabama's clear weakness right now is on offense. Heck, it lost them the NC last year.
He single handedly is responsible for Alabama temporarily dropping from #1 to #2? He definitely needs to be taken off the list.

Trev talked at length about defining the culture and hiring someone who fits and not about winning the press conference. I don't see BO'B as a cultural fit.
What is the culture and how do you think he doesn’t fit it? Based on what I’ve seen, a coach is a fit for the culture if he wins games. The more he wins, the better he fits.

If he peaks at 9-10 wins per year, some fans will take out their microscope and try to figure out why he doesn’t fit. But otherwise, wins is pretty much the only real cultural requirement.

BOB -
Assistant OC and QB coach for B Belichek and Tom brady.
OC 2 years under nick saban.
Has been an assistant coach as an OC in both a super bowl and N title game in college.
Did a very good job in 2 years at PSU under odd circumstances. We can argue how difficult the PSU job was or wasnt but he was awared both the national coach of the year and big 10 coach of the year.
7 years HC in the NFL with years in the playoffs

So from a recruiting stand point he can sell that hes learned football from the best at BOTH levels. He can sell that he knows how the NFL works to get you to the highest level (BB and TB). He can sell that knows what it takes. His years with saban will sell itself

From a program standpoint, he has connections (I would think) to some of the best assitants out there through 2 years at alabama, in the NFL, etc. He knows how the Big 10 works to an extent. He has a good relationship already with his AD if hired.
Has enough experience over the last 15 years to lead one to believe that hes learned a lot and has probably grown some in the in recent years (trev would want to find that out)

Ok now, I get that some may not like him. Some may thinks hes not the right fit, not the guy they want etc, etc. But the guys got a heck of a resume, and a heck of potential. Just cuz warzone hates him means nothing

Im not really for or against the guy but if Trev decides hes the man, I dont see how we cant see a lot to be excited about

And i would trust trevs vetting and decsions over warzones but thats just me

one of the reasons that I really like the BO'B idea is the fact that he has a bunch of head coaching experience without currently being a head coach which means that he'll have tons of options and liberty when assembling a staff.

Coaches are extremely loyal to their assistants - oftentimes (as we have seen here) to their detriment. I think that Aranda would be an Awesome hire. but can you imagine him leaving his S&C guy or half of his assistants without jobs when he takes the NU job? - - probably not. it is more likely we see a fHCSF move where almost his whole entourage just changes shirts (maybe/hopefully not as extensively as frost did this)

BO'B would be perfectly set up to draw from the whole pool of available assistants and staff. he has connections all over football. I'm assuming trev is willing to open the checkbook for assistant coach payroll (seeing how he just dropped 8-mil for 3 weeks of frostlessness) BO'B is in the best position of anyone in this search to really take advantage of that and assemble something special

If you really like the idea of keeping Mickey / Busch / and or Ruud then BO'B should be your target - he will be able to assemble a 'super-staff' in a way that the candidates who are currently head coaches would likely not be
The theory sounds good but the results won’t be what you think. I don’t see Mickey and Busch accepting positions that they previously had. Making them offensive and defensive coordinators going forward is counter productive to what you just mentioned. Hard to assemble great staffs if you are going to hire inexperienced and unproven coordinators

Last edited:

Any chance the new HC is not from this Top 10?

Meyer
Aranda
Fickell
O’Brien
Campbell
Leipold
Leonard
Kleiman
Chadwell
Joseph

You don't want the guy who won a P5 conference championship as a HC last year, finishing 12-2 and won the Sugar bowl?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back