• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

What happened. PSU was given virtually no punishment
This is patently untrue. Penn State had Scholarship reductions of 10 scholarships per year starting in 2012, before O’Brien’s first season started. The scholarship limitations were lifted in 2014, so the scholarship reduction only lasted two seasons, 2012 and 2013. The bowl and post-season ban was lifted as well, so Penn State was ineligible for the post-season for two years. The NCAA also imposed a 60 million dollar fine, to be paid into programs that supported victims of child sexual abuse. Penn State sued to allow the funds to stay in the state of Pennsylvania and be used for programs there, but the fine was still paid.

Aranda. Keep MJ and Busch. Add in Orgeron. We will recruit at a level we haven't seen in decades and they already have a connection and national title together
I like this idea. Not sure orgeron would stoop to a coordinator position and not sure what roles the three of them together would hold. I’m assuming you are thinking MJ as offensive coordinator but would like to see how well this offense performs the next 7 weeks.

The next thing to consider is who does aranda want to bring. He might want his proven staff here.

Leipold is too old.

If the hope is to find a coach who could coach in Lincoln for 25 years, like Osborne, he's probably too old. But reality is, very few coaches will ever approach that in today's big business college football world.

12 years would put a coach in the top ten for longest tenured FBS coaches (David Shaw is in his 12th year at Stanford).

Leipold is 58. There's no obvious reason why he couldn't coach for another 10-15 years (Saban is 70, for reference). If we can get 10 or so years out of a head coach, it will have been a great success. And ideally, you've rebuilt the foundation and winning tradition to the point where the head coach can hand off the reins to an assistant.

This is patently untrue. Penn State had Scholarship reductions of 10 scholarships per year starting in 2012, before O’Brien’s first season started. The scholarship limitations were lifted in 2014, so the scholarship reduction only lasted two seasons, 2012 and 2013. The bowl and post-season ban was lifted as well, so Penn State was ineligible for the post-season for two years. The NCAA also imposed a 60 million dollar fine, to be paid into programs that supported victims of child sexual abuse. Penn State sued to allow the funds to stay in the state of Pennsylvania and be used for programs there, but the fine was still paid.
And that doesn’t even include the stigma that was then associated with PSU. Who the heck wanted to play there knowing all of the above?

O’Brien took over a VERY difficult situation and led that team to impressive results.

I don’t like seeing comments like “the new HC needs to keep Joseph on staff.” Whoever is hired as HC, we need to give him full and complete control over the staff he hires. And that likely could mean not retaining Joseph or Busch or whoever, and fans should be ready to accept that.

Now, we don’t have to necessarily like the hires, but we shouldn’t be expecting the new HC to hire people he may not be comfortable with.

Last edited:

Especially w.r.t. the Tom Osborne coaching tree, with its rotten branches of Scott Fraud and Stank Frolich.
I’d take the equivalent of Frank and his .753 winning pct back any time. Frank himself is too old. Frank Solich, Craig Bohl and Turner Gill are representative of the Tom Osborne coaching tree. I don’t consider Scott Frost to be a part of that. Frost played for Osborne but did not coach under him.

I don’t like seeing comments like “the new HC needs to keep Joseph on staff.” Whoever is hired as HC, we need to give him full and complete control over the staff he hires. And that likely could mean not retaining Joseph or Busch or whoever, and fans should be ready to accept that.

Now, we don’t have to necessarily like the hires, but we shouldn’t be expecting the new HC to hire people he may not be comfortable with.
Many think this was an issue with Solich; he was “encouraged” to keep many assistants who he likely would not have kept otherwise. A coach needs free reign with their staff.

Nailed it. I see little chance of Mickey…..and now Busch staying on next with the possible exception of hiring Arranda who has worked with them before. The main reason is that after having 8-9 games as a head coach or defensive coordinator can they accept stepping back to a position coach? How will that affect culture within the ranks of other coaches and players? At the first sign of trouble or disagreement how does it look to everyone if a coach makes a change in something one of the two had implemented.

Now you can say “well make Mickey the offensive coordinator and Busch the defensive coordinator.” Well I’d like to think that the new guy…..if it was someone established…..would bring some of his established and successful assistants.

Last edited:

Why do you keep comparing the NFL to college. It is barely even the same sport. Not only that but you look at his performance at Alabama like he achieved something. Alabama was ranked #1 before he took over. Now they are number 2. So what? If anything you can say he has failed to perform. I would say that dropping one spot does not necessarily indicate this but Alabama's clear weakness right now is on offense. Heck, it lost them the NC last year.
I gotta,ask. Was BOB involved with Alabamas offense last year?

Many think this was an issue with Solich; he was “encouraged” to keep many assistants who he likely would not have kept otherwise. A coach needs free reign with their staff.
As a frank supporter, in 97/98, I can't think of anyone on the staff deserving of replacement. By 02, things had obviously changed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back