• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top 3 coaches leading in NU search 9/20/22

Can I ask why?
Nothing more than personal opinion and a gut feeling I get watching him talk to media. Billy C wasn't a cultural fit for us and I put B'OB in that category as well. Doesn't mean they're not good coaches or good at Xs and Os, I just don't see B'OB taking the job and embracing the culture of the program, fan base, etc. Seems more like he'd be holding his nose and sucking it up for as little time as it would take him to parlay the job in somewhere else.

I take it that you don’t think his success at Alabama last year counts, even though Alabama finished 4th in total offense for the year and his QB finished 2nd in passing yards.

And which of his college teams played “below their talent level” and how in heck did you measure that anyway?
Alabama has a heisman trophy winning QB and has the best recruiting every year. A 4 rating is a minimum. They should be ranked anywhere from 1 to 10. So how could I glean anything from his success at Alabama. However he has tried to make a mobile QB into a drop back passer which as hurt Alabama. This I blame him for.

1) He has no cultural times to Nebraska
2) His offenses do well in the pros but not in college
3) His recruiting was significantly below average and expecatations.
4) Franklin took over his mediocre team and had almost immadiate success.
5) He is married to his offense.
6) His teams do not play nearly as tough as they should.
7) Bo beat him twice. Bo could not stop the run. PSU struggled to run on Nebraska.

Really? O’Brien was 8-4 (6-2) and 7-5 (4-4) under very difficult conditions. Franklin came in and was 7-6 (4-4) and 7-6 (2-6). One might say Franklin took O’Brien’s good teams and had mediocre results. But to be fair, all four years post Joe Pa are pretty impressive given what had happened.

Nothing more than personal opinion and a gut feeling I get watching him talk to media. Billy C wasn't a cultural fit for us and I put B'OB in that category as well. Doesn't mean they're not good coaches or good at Xs and Os, I just don't see B'OB taking the job and embracing the culture of the program, fan base, etc. Seems more like he'd be holding his nose and sucking it up for as little time as it would take him to parlay the job in somewhere else.
I would hope BOB wouldn't embrace the current culture of the program.

Wait, is dumpster fire a culture?

Really? O’Brien was 8-4 (6-2) and 7-5 (4-4) under very difficult conditions. Franklin came in and was 7-6 (4-4) and 7-6 (2-6). One might say Franklin took O’Brien’s good teams and had mediocre results. But to be fair, all four years post Joe Pa are pretty impressive given what had happened.
What happened. PSU was given virtually no punishment

Alabama has a heisman trophy winning QB and has the best recruiting every year. A 4 rating is a minimum. They should be ranked anywhere from 1 to 10. So how could I glean anything from his success at Alabama. However he has tried to make a mobile QB into a drop back passer which as hurt Alabama. This I blame him for.

7) Bo beat him twice. Bo could not stop the run. PSU struggled to run on Nebraska.
all that 4/5 star talent and all he can manage is the 27th ranked offense? thats a red flag....

You’ve seen first hand that recruiting doesn’t automatically generate success. It takes coaching and development. Alabama doesn’t just get the best players and roll them out there and win. They recruit them and develop them. I think the jury is still out on how his offense fares this year. I think it will trend more toward what they accomplished last year, which was 4th in the country in total offense. Guess we’ll see.

1) Cultural ties to Nebraska are no indicator of success. Bob Devany had no cultural ties to Nebraska. Scott Frost did.
2) Offenses in college are trending more toward NFL offenses, and NFL offenses are running more college concepts. The difference between the two is decreasing.
3) At Penn State he was recruiting to a scandal-laden university with severe (40% decrease) in scholarships. Pretty much impossible to get good recruiting rankings when you only can take 15 and everyone else can take 25.
4) O’Brien went 8-4 and 7-5 in his two years at Penn State. Franklin came in and went 7-6 followed by 7-6. Not immediate success. More BS from you.
5) What good offensive coach is not “married to his offense”?
6) The toughness part is subjective, and I’m not sure I’m qualified to comment. I don’t remember whether or not I thought his Penn State teams were lacking in toughness and I don’t watch much NFL. So I’ll give you this one.
7) Bo was a good coach, but you are correct, he was not good at stopping the run in 2011 and 2012.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back