• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Took a couple week break to reflect

FBsWithNoNecks

Recruit
5 Year Member
Things I think I know now(I haven't read any posts lately.

The combined record of Nebraska's losses is 17-4. A loss to the leader in each B1G division and an early season bad half on the road. If this was anyone besides "my team" the sky wouldn't be falling so it shouldn't for me.

The Oline I thought would be better. Its absolutely not. Its young, its not strong enough. This has caused AM to look indecisive and worse than expected. Also it has made it hard to run putting NU in obvious passing downs which makes the Oline look even worse. After watching a bunch of other games this weekend, I was amazed at the amount of times QBs had 3-7 seconds if protection. NU doesn't. If it wasnt "my team" I would know a suspect Oline means happy QB feet, bad reads, forcing the ball and minimal running game. So it's not the offensive scheme or the QB

I did some digging and reading into Clemson under Dabo. Located in a better recruiting area but they have 40 4 and 5 star recruits currently (Alabama and Ohio State have 60). Clemson is actually still building. It took time to get consistent. Then time to breakthrough. Clemsom also plays in an inferior league to the BIG Barring a scandal they now should be good for awhile. So if Nebraska wasnt my team it would be logical to think Nebraska wont be consistently good till year 4 or 5 and wont really break through until year 7 or 8.

WR size and depth is so important in today's game. The amount of 50/50 balls thrown is crazy. It opens everything else up. I know this, its football 101. If Nebraska wasn't my team I would realize Nebraska lacks in both. 2 great outside guys with Spielman and Wandale would be epic. It's not where Nebraska is.

Gotta run for a bit. I have a few more I'll post tonight.

Frost and staff. I'll start with Frost. Frost has been a QB and a safety. He has been around some of the best coaches from old school to new school. From offensive to defensive geniuses. Walsh, Belichick, Parcells, Osborne, Tomlin, Kelly etc etc etc. He should have a firm grasp on what he thinks works taking from each person. As long as he can motivate kids to play, there is no doubt he has the knowledge on both sides of the ball to be successful. Saying this, when Nebraska would have opened up the checkbook to pay for assistants. He really believes he has the guys. He trusts them. He obviously believes in them scheme wise. If it wasnt "my team"....I would say Scott Frost is very uniquely qualified to pick assistants and schemes because of the quality of coaches he has been around and the fact he played both sides of the ball. So if it wasn't my team I would tell someone to enjoy the ride to year 5

Living in Iowa I hear about how little Nebraska has done with its recruits. I'm not saying I believe Nebraska has it 100% figured out on the development and recruiting area but its trending up. Nebraska is already out "star" recruiting the West. Only 19-20 months in the development part though. As the seasons progress and wins pile up (yes, despite our feelings Nebraska has more wins now than last year) the recruiting will get easier and easier(see Clemson). So If Nebraska wasnt "my team" I could recognize the youth movement currently, the recruiting and the strength gains. I would tell someone to really watch out year 4 on. It might be bumpy until then.

The defense is better. Still lacks depth and explosion. 2 of the hardest things to get. Explosive pass rushers are highly recruited and depth means you have recruited and developed well for a 5 year cycle. If it wasn't "my team" I would know that this hasnt been the case. So if I believe this is true I think Chins is doing ok but he needs more and better bodies. So its year 2 of 5....improvement is a good sign.

Attack/Aggression these are two things that I think are better. Players are maybe taking some risks(Lamar getting beat on a double move for a TD) but overall its paying off. Except in order to teach attack as a culture that sometimes techniques might be overlooked. So Minnesota as an example. Dline was moving but fits from back 7 were wrong. The center making great blocks but not snapping the ball. Etc. If it "wasnt my team" I would tell someone that maybe the attack with no fear of failure is great. It's hard to get them there. The technique will come as people are in the program.longer. Cant fix everything at once. I may start with technique but Frost has preached attack since he got here.

The schedule. At first glance the schedule look manageable for a big jump. Two bye weeks late in the year. This would be a great schedule for year 4 or 5 on. However if this wasnt "my team" I would tell some as I sit here today. Nebraska's glaring issue of depth, could have used the first bye around game 4 or 5. Also would tell that person that the 2 division losses are against undefeated teams (14-0). They wont stay that way..but still. Also I'd remind them the Illinois team Nebraska barely beat but was able to gut out a win...well Wisconsin couldnt do the same and Nebraska wants to get where Wisconsin is as a step to where Nebraska wants to go.

In conclusion. 19-20 months of better S&C is not enough to compete in the trenches. The mass exodus of "Riley" players certainly didn't help depth. The schedule from the outside looked manageable but because of depth the first bye needed to be early. A good Oline make an average QB good. A bad Oline makes an above average QB below average. The defense is good enough to hang with all but 3 or 4 B1G teams but not when the offense is stagnant. The need for size and speed at WR is glaring. Players seem to be getting told the truth about where they stand and there isnt a mass exodus so there is reason for long term hope. Recruiting is going well for 1 1/2 classes. Loving that 3 star targets are getting bumped up to 4. Thinking that means we are in on some of the right guys. GO BIG RED

Last edited:
Nice posts, way too rational.

This is not what many Husker fans want to here though. They don't want to here about it taking time, they want to see the finished product. It is going to take time though.

I think it is interesting that you bring up Clemson and Dabo Sweeney. He was 6-7 in year 3, most thought he wouldn't survive. He still went 4 more years before he really became consistent. He was winning a lot of games in those 4 years, but was getting killed in a lot of the big games. He did survive and is now considered a top end coach.

I truly think we win at least 6 this year and get to a bowl game. This game against Indiana is pivotal in the season. Indiana is pretty good, not great though. They need to find a way to win this game.

Even if they finish as good as 8-5 which would mean 3 more wins in season and then a bowl win. That doesn't mean we don't see a couple more season's of 8-5 before they break through. It is going to take time. The problem is most Nebraska fans don't think a couple of years of 8-5 in a row would be except-able.

You brought up an excellent point about the coaches Frost has played or coached under. Taking it a step further, he's had success at a number of different locations and different schemes. And while I think he's probably still bought into his scheme "breaking" the Big Ten, he's also probably the best kind of analytical coach to diagnose problems and tinker with the offense as needed.

Osborne had to adapt, and famously said that we really only dug deep into the option game in order to beat Oklahoma. I want to stick a pin in this moment and reevaluate what a Frost offense looks like in 2 or 3 more years.

Of course it’s going to take some time to get to the mountain top. That’s a given. The problem is really regression. There is enough talent here to not get your ass kicked by Minnesota. I think most can handle some 7-5, 8-5’s. Most don’t want to handle 4-8’s. I’m hopeful this team turns the corner starting Saturday. Dig deep, get a win, then another. Confidence is a big deal. NU doesn’t have much of that right now. Time for that to change.

Of course it’s going to take some time to get to the mountain top. That’s a given. The problem is really regression. There is enough talent here to not get your ass kicked by Minnesota. I think most can handle some 7-5, 8-5’s. Most don’t want to handle 4-8’s. I’m hopeful this team turns the corner starting Saturday. Dig deep, get a win, then another. Confidence is a big deal. NU doesn’t have much of that right now. Time for that to change.

And if they go 4-8, then what? Besides being mad and disappointed, of course, because we all will be.

Great analysis. So right, that we hope it is wrong. Realistically we all know better. Enjoy the ride, cause it will be a bit bumpy.

Great point on Dabo. After year 2, would you say Frost Is headed in a equal or better direction? I would.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back