• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Took #9 Mich. to the Wire, w/Two Freshmen Tackles

N_trepid

Recruit
5 Year Member
Knowing the anguished shrieking this post will cause, I will still say it. And I'll say it because it is true. We started two freshmen offensive tackles against unbeaten, #9 Michigan, with a defense featuring a future 1st-round defensive end in Aiden Hutchison, and the #8 ranked defense in the nation, and we could have won the game.

Can you imagine what we could do with Prochazka and Corcoran as seasoned juniors, with quality depth backing them up?

And now, please feel free to assemble the circular firing squad, and commence with the unhinged shrieking.

The question is why are we starting 2 freshmen on the OL in year 4?
I'm guessing it's because they surpassed everyone else on the depth chart. Corcoran was a five-star prospect, IIRC, and Prochazka was very highly regarded. And they did a great job, didn't they? After all, projected 1st-round draft pick Aiden Hutchison wasn't exactly sacking Adrian Martinez all night, was he? For going up against the #8 defense in the nation, and the undefeated #9 team, I thought they looked pretty damned good!

I'm guessing it's because they surpassed everyone else on the depth chart. Corcoran was a five-star prospect, IIRC, and Prochazka was very highly regarded. And they did a great job, didn't they? After all, projected 1st-round draft pick Aiden Hutchison wasn't exactly sacking Adrian Martinez all night, was he? For going up against the #8 defense in the nation, and the undefeated #9 team, I thought they looked pretty damned good!

That's a bingo.

I’m all for looking at the positives!

I think we have to also ask “can you imagine” continued player development/performance in areas where we will lose great players to graduation/eligibility?

And “can you imagine” if we keep our best assistant coaches and make positive changes when/where necessary?

Lastly, “can you imagine” the “holy grail”… a team with the discipline and attention to detail that does not self destruct and overcomes factors that are out of their control?

I answer yes! I can imagine it… and I can also imagine seeing it in my lifetime!

GBR!!

Last edited:
This reads like a moral victory to me, and those don't count in year 4.

We need wins.

Yes, we need wins.

You don't think we should look at who's playing very important roles on the team right now as we're evaluating the team's performance? No moral victories in losing to three top ten teams by a combined 13 points, but it should paint a picture that this team is much improved. Last year's team never looked like this.

Yes, we need wins.

You don't think we should look at who's playing very important roles on the team right now as we're evaluating the team's performance? No moral victories in losing to three top ten teams by a combined 13 points, but it should paint a picture that this team is much improved. Last year's team never looked like this.
One of those top 10 teams has a coach in his 1st year, why does it take 4 seasons for us to just be close?

Did we hear how Prochazka is?

FWIW Benhart appeared to play OK when he came in … kudos to Cochran for being able to switch from LT to RT to LT.
Benhart gave up a sack his first play :)

He didn't false start,so that is an improvement!

Did we hear how Prochazka is?

FWIW Benhart appeared to play OK when he came in … kudos to Cochran for being able to switch from LT to RT to LT.
The one sack he gave up he got good position. Martinez chose to move up in the pocket and Bernhart wasn’t quick enough to slide over. If Martinez wouldn’t have stepped up he wouldn’t have got sacked.

One of those top 10 teams has a coach in his 1st year, why does it take 4 seasons for us to just be close?

I don't think any of them have a coach in his first year, but I understand the point.

Why has it taken four years? I'd say a combination of errors in player evaluation, roster management and refusal to change what wasn't working. Who did what and when is open for debate by others, but I'm past it. So is the team. We're here now and none of us can change what happened the last three years. I'm just going to enjoy better football.

I don't think any of them have a coach in his first year, but I understand the point.

Why has it taken four years? I'd say a combination of errors in player evaluation, roster management and refusal to change what wasn't working. Who did what and when is open for debate by others, but I'm past it. So is the team. We're here now and none of us can change what happened the last three years. I'm just going to enjoy better football.
Isn't Mel Tucker in his first season at MSU? He beat us in his 1st season at CU too. While the football may be better, we still have a losing record this year and are still doing the same things that caused a losing record the previous 3 seasons. Folks will make up their own minds about what they are seeing. I'm seeing a team that continues to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's frustrating as heck.

Isn't Mel Tucker in his first season at MSU? He beat us in his 1st season at CU too. While the football may be better, we still have a losing record this year and are still doing the same things that caused a losing record the previous 3 seasons. Folks will make up their own minds about what they are seeing. I'm seeing a team that continues to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's frustrating as heck.

Second and yes, he beat Nebraska in year one in Boulder.

I don't disagree on the frustration, but I don't see anything much but uniforms in common with his past Nebraska teams. Last years team would have looked like they did last night against Northwestern, not Michigan. Finding ways to keep lesser talented teams in games. I don't think the 2018, 2019 or 2020 versions of Nebraska played football that looks anything like the OU, Michigan State or Michigan games. The improved play makes me think the improvement I've seen small pieces of in the last year is real and is showing up on Saturdays.

Still have five games to play and five chances to improve and win football games. This is a gritty team to watch. Minus the Illinois game, this has been the best Nebraska football I've seen in years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back