• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tom Osborne Talks About The Current State Of Nebraska Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

The odd part seems the lack of communication between TO and MR. anyone have thoughts on why TO hasn't been more involved or supportive?

TO: I try not to comment when coaches are here.. Mike is a experienced coach, been over 30 years. Has a philosophy, had lunch with him but have not spent time with him. Whatever I’ve seen with Mike has been from a distance. I certainly hope he does well. This will be a important season for him. In year two, the transition time is now over, it all changes very quickly.

Last edited:
The odd part seems the lack of communication between TO and MR. anyone have thoughts on why TO hasn't been more involved or supportive?

I didn't get the vibe that TO wasn't supportive. Him and MR had lunch together, that's more than I thought they would have done together. I'm sure that Tom, at 79, would prefer to watch the program from a distance. (edit: just like he has done according to his quote from above)

Last edited:

They asked if he'd hire Bo again? :Cautious:
That's a loaded question.

If he says yes, people will say he's dumb for wanting to hire a lunatic.
If he says no, people will say he's dumb for having hired a lunatic.

Wow his answers sound a lot like what many of us have been saying. A few examples.
Osborne on looking back of the hiring and how Bo Pelini’s time ended.

At that time, we were a poor defensive team, Bo had been in Lincoln in ‘03, had done very well. Former players and co-workers were high on him. Was the best defensive mind I knew when I interviewed him. Bo was very volatile, I did not factor in some of the volatility. Do your homework and do the best you can. Very few schools have won as he did in the Big Ten, he did have a excellent athletic record and behaved well. He certainly at times abrasive with the fans and press. You can not do that & survive in a job like that.
That was the good and bad of Bo.

Osborne on comparing Mike Riley’s methods to TO’s:
I try not to comment when coaches are here.. Mike is a experienced coach, been over 30 years. Has a philosophy, had lunch with him but have not spent time with him. Whatever I’ve seen with Mike has been from a distance. I certainly hope he does well. This will be a important season for him. In year two, the transition time is now over, it all changes very quickly.
I think most can agree with that as well.

I didn't get the vibe that TO wasn't supportive. Him and MR had lunch together, that's more than I thought they would have done together. I'm sure that Tom, at 79, would prefer to watch the program from a distance. (edit: just like he has done according to his quote from above)

I don't really disagree but someone who put his heart and soul in husker football would seem a bit more inclined to offer a bit more help. that said maybe MR doesn't really want it or To doesn't want it to look like MR isn't capable.

I just want to win again and if TO could help MR get there that would be fantastic. Thats all

I don't really disagree but someone who put his heart and soul in husker football would seem a bit more inclined to offer a bit more help. that said maybe MR doesn't really want it or To doesn't want it to look like MR isn't capable.

I just want to win again and if TO could help MR get there that would be fantastic. Thats all

Given the reception former players and coaches get at NU I have to imagine that MR would talk with him at any time if he chose to walk through the door.

C

IMO, I think TO probably feels the best way to be supportive is to not interfere. But I am sure he would offer advice if he was asked.

Obviously TO is not all-in with MR. He is neutral. He knows that results will define MR's career just like they defined his own. He recognizes that MR has experience but that is as far as he would go. He said that he hopes MR does well but that's about it. IMO, TO is a classic realist.

But interestingly TO succinctly said that the transition year is over and that MR can have no excuses this year. To me, that is TO saying that if MR is actually a top FBS coach, it should become evident this year.

I suspect TO is not a big fan of the pro-style offense. He fired the last guy that tried it in Lincoln.

I the I-bone was great for Lincoln. It was a big part of the 42-year run of success that TO mentioned. But like TO said, nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:
IMO, I think TO probably feels the best way to be supportive is to not interfere. But I am sure he would offer advice if he was asked.

Obviously TO is not all-in with MR. He is neutral. He knows that results will define MR's career just like they defined his own. He recognizes that MR has experience but that is as far as he would go. He said that he hopes MR does well but that's about it.

But interestingly TO succinctly said that the transition year is over and that MR can have no excuses this year. To me, that is TO saying that if MR is actually a top FBS coach, it should become evident this year.

I suspect TO is not a big fan of the pro-style offense. He fired the last guy that tried it in Lincoln.

I the I-bone was great for Lincoln. It was a big part of the 42-year run of success that TO mentioned. But like TO said, nothing lasts forever.
I think both the pro and anti MR crowd could read it to mean whatever they wanted it to read. TO was intentionally vague so as not to be seen as interfering. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back