• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tom Osborne Talks About The Current State Of Nebraska Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

TO was exactly on target in that MR had his mulligan last season. I think it was clear he wasn't accepting last years performance as very Nebraska like IMO.

Beyond that he's better off saying or offering very little. No matter what he says it will be spun the way different factions want to see it.

Last edited:
Tom would provide input if asked. Otherwise, he's going to stay out of the way. Do you remember during the Callahan era when Osborne was helping out Creighton athletics and didn't even have an office at Memorial Stadium? He simply pointed out that Creighton asked for his support, while Nebraska did not.

Mike Riley has no obligation to seek Tom Osborne's counsel, but it probably wouldn't be a horrible idea to reach out to him. Actually, it would be a great idea for Eichorst and Riley to get him on board (if he wants to). Doesn't need to be in a major role, but offer an office, a title (Athletic Director Emeritus?), and let him watch game film and offer up a weekly report.

Then again, he's busy during the season with the playoff, so maybe there's no interest.

Tom would provide input if asked. Otherwise, he's going to stay out of the way. Do you remember during the Callahan era when Osborne was helping out Creighton athletics and didn't even have an office at Memorial Stadium? He simply pointed out that Creighton asked for his support, while Nebraska did not.

Mike Riley has no obligation to seek Tom Osborne's counsel, but it probably wouldn't be a horrible idea to reach out to him. Actually, it would be a great idea for Eichorst and Riley to get him on board (if he wants to). Doesn't need to be in a major role, but offer an office, a title (Athletic Director Emeritus?), and let him watch game film and offer up a weekly report.

Then again, he's busy during the season with the playoff, so maybe there's no interest.

What's keeping him busy with the playoff? Watching other people do it? :)

TO left Nebraska football prematurely in 1997. His choice to succeed himself ultimately crashed and burned, but TO is the ultimate "9 win guy." He was angry that FS got fired and I think he is bitter that his second shot at filling the HC spot crashed and burned as well. I think he is finished with Nebraska football other than showing up to be idolized every now and then. I would not mind bringing him back in a few years if MR doesn't work out...he shouldn't have left.

Last edited:
In the interest of fairness I wouldn't say Frank exactly "crashed and burned"! Wasn't a huge Frank fan but nevertheless he was the last Nebraska coach to actually win a conference title. His over all record was also pretty darn good IMO. Yes things had trended down but his last season they still had 10 wins! Not exactly to shabby in relationship with most programs.

Frank made the needed changes with assistant coaches but NEVER got the chance to see how it would work out. I will always believe he deserved at least 1 more season to see how much impact those changes would make.

Last edited:
TO left Nebraska football prematurely in 1997. His choice to succeed himself ultimately crashed and burned, but TO is the ultimate "9 win guy." He was angry that FS got fired and I think he is bitter that his second shot at filling the HC spot crashed and burned as well. I think he is finished with Nebraska football other than showing up to be idolized every now and then. I would not mind bringing him back in a few years if MR doesn't work out...he shouldn't have left.
With all the manure you shovel just curious if you are a fertilizer salesman? There is so much in here that is purely speculation on your part. Some of it flat out false.

With all the manure you shovel just curious if you are a fertilizer salesman? There is so much in here that is purely speculation on your part. Some of it flat out false.
There really isn't anything that can be disputed in that post...that's why you didn't. Please make an effort to have some class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back