• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Todd Peat Jr. to visit for the Colorado game....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Nice to get him in for a visit....:) Ron Brown is his recruiter....only scheduled visit so far...would be a big pickup for Nebraska....

Defensive tackle
Tempe, Arizona
Corona Del Sol High School
Ht:6'3"
Wt:300 lbs
40:4.98 secs
GPA:3
Class:2011 (High School)

Rivals 4**** 5.8
Rivals.com Rivals250 2011 (158)
Rivals.com defensive tackles 2011 (14)
Rivals.com Arizona Preseason Top 15 2011 (4)

Peat is a fun kid to watch play. He has a high motor and a violent nature and at times can be a real handful. He is not unblockable, but you better be ready to put in a full days work when you face him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-.../college-football/recruiting/player?id=101301

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vtf97Pza5WY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vtf97Pza5WY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

August, 2009 article on Peat:

By Jeremy Crabtree, Rivals.com
For Todd Peat Jr., football is all in the family.
Peat is the son of former NFL offensive lineman Todd Peat, who was drafted in 1987 out of Northern Illinois University by the St. Louis Cardinals. Peat's father played with the Cardinals, relocating to Phoenix when the organization moved in 1988, until he was traded to the Los Angeles Raiders in 1990 and retired after the 1993 season.

Last season as a sophomore, Peat Jr. was named first-team all-Central Region and was an honorable mention all-state selection. The 6-foot-3, 280-pound defensive tackle had 40 assists, 24 solo tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, three pass breakups and one fumble recovery for Tempe (Ariz.) Corona del Sol High School.

Peat is now making waves as one of the top 2011 prospects in Arizona, and he surely will be a national recruit next season. He said he owes a lot of his development and success to his father.

"I learned a lot from my father," Peat said. "He taught me a lot about the fundamentals. He worked with me on staying low, taking the right steps, and how to be a good leader and teammate. He always stressed with me to listen to what the coach says and never give up."

Peat also said his father stressed to him about being a well-rounded teammate and a true student-athlete. Peat is proud of his football accomplishments, but he's also proud of his 3.0 grade-point average.

"My dad is my sports hero," Peat said. "He played [six] years in the NFL, and I learned how to be explosive, strong and a good pass rusher from him. I also learned how to be a great teammate and also that being a student-athlete is the most important part of the game."

Arizona State and Wake Forest have already offered Peat scholarships, and the Sun Devils are No. 1 on his early list. Other schools, however, like UCLA, Clemson, California, USC and Wake Forest are high on his list. He also is receiving mail from Arizona, Notre Dame, Florida State, Oregon State, Houston, Utah, North Carolina and others.

Peat won't be the only player in his family bound for college.

His younger brother, Andrus Peat, will be a sophomore lineman this season at Corona. Plus, local observers are already raving about 11-year-old Cassius Peat, who stars in both football and AAU basketball with the Arizona Premier. The youngest Peat was ranked as one of the top players in the nation in his age group by one basketball scouting service.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/recruiting/football/2009-08-11-arizona-dt_N.htm

As I've said before, I like Mickey Johnson better but Peat is a good looking prospect. I wonder if we land Peat if it would take Johnson's spot? I have heard that Johnson has some work to do in the classroom so I wonder if we would hold a spot even if we land Peat. Any thoughts RR or HIO or the other gurus?

Just my opinion but this is why Todd fits perfectly into a Bo Pelini team:

"I learned a lot from my father," Peat said. "He taught me a lot about the fundamentals. He worked with me on staying low, taking the right steps, and how to be a good leader and teammate. He always stressed with me to listen to what the coach says and never give up."

Peat also said his father stressed to him about being a well-rounded teammate and a true student-athlete. Peat is proud of his football accomplishments, but he's also proud of his 3.0 grade-point average.

"My dad is my sports hero," Peat said. "He played [six] years in the NFL, and I learned how to be explosive, strong and a good pass rusher from him. I also learned how to be a great teammate and also that being a student-athlete is the most important part of the game."

Just me but I'd take Peat in a tick-tock.....for all of these reasons....do we take Johnson too if Todd commits?...good question.....my opinion is no we wouldn't hold a slot for him if he waits too long or he appears to be an academic risk...if Peat commits I think Johnson might find himself on the outside...we only have so many slots....bottom line, Hobbi you save a slot for....Johnson I'm not so sure....

Both Peat and Johnson are rated 4**** 5.8 guys by Rivals....if I had to choose I'd take Peat...but's that me...

As I've said before, I like Mickey Johnson better but Peat is a good looking prospect. I wonder if we land Peat if it would take Johnson's spot? I have heard that Johnson has some work to do in the classroom so I wonder if we would hold a spot even if we land Peat. Any thoughts RR or HIO or the other gurus?

Would like his commit for sure...:)

this is definately a better passage than the one in the other thread. The other led me to have a flag of caution for the young man as he seemed like a "me first" type young man, ruling out schools that wouldn't let him come in and starting. He's a great talent but a lot of things to work on. Would be a great catch for NU.

when do you start to wonder about a guy's potential? i'm honestly asking here, not at all trying to bag on peat. would you rather have a recruit who has been coached by past professional players and has possibly gotten the most out of his potential, or would you rather have a recruit who is rated the same as the other guy, but is probably a lot more of a raw talent? which one has the most room for growth?

when do you start to wonder about a guy's potential? i'm honestly asking here, not at all trying to bag on peat. would you rather have a recruit who has been coached by past professional players and has possibly gotten the most out of his potential, or would you rather have a recruit who is rated the same as the other guy, but is probably a lot more of a raw talent? which one has the most room for growth?

Interesting and difficult question to answer. This is why I like Johnson at the DT spot. He has a ton of potential. The thing about Peat is that he is a low risk prospect. He already has the fundamentals and would seem to be extremely coachable. Some of the other prospects might have a higher ceiling but would be higher risk.

(per Red Reign's post above)

Peat won't be the only player in his family bound for college.

His younger brother, Andrus Peat, will be a sophomore lineman this season at Corona. Plus, local observers are already raving about 11-year-old Cassius Peat, who stars in both football and AAU basketball with the Arizona Premier. The youngest Peat was ranked as one of the top players in the nation in his age group by one basketball scouting service.

NU won NC's with the Peter Brothers on the D-Line .... perhaps similar success with the Peat Brothers ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back