• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

TJ Pledger: Commits to OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is telling us we are focusing on the passing game? Where did we come up with this? We had a WR transfer out because he didn't think we are going to throw that much. We were in the top 2 for one of the best RBs in the nation, but the conclusion is that we won't attract top RBs? Quite honestly if you go look at who we are in the top schools for this year and last year for RBs, that screams we are attracting them. We can't close on them though, so is that really a style issue or is it something else?

I just find it odd in a thread where we were in the final 2 for the one of the best RBs in the nation the narrative is we won't be able to attract top RB talent. Just because we attract some of the best WRs in the nation based on who is recruiting them doesn't mean that's what we are focusing on. A kid that committed to USC a couple months ago is telling kids looking around to check out Nebraska because of our WRs coach. That's the difference, not offensive style.

Coach Davis can't close on them. You don't see kids raving about him like they do with coach Williams.

Last edited:

Coach Davis can't close on them. You don't see kids raving about him like they do with coach Williams.
I'm leaning that way... I guess I just don't see how the narrative "we won't attract high caliber RBs in this offense" gets any traction when the spring game had two 4 star RBs planning to attend on their own dime. Not to mention the 3 stars with Michigan, Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Louisville offers that are planning on coming. If they didn't want to play in this offense why would they waste their time or money? We attract them, we just can't close.

Last edited:
There is no narrative regarding attraction. Of course we can attract RBs.

The narrative is Davis' inability to recruit. And contrary to popular belief, he didn't lead the recruitment of Tre. He did lead the way for Miles, and from what I understand had some help. But that's a positive.

I'm on board with what *** is saying. I'll wait and see how this year plays out, but if he throws up another airball or only gets Roberts (who is basically ours to take) then we have a problem that needs fixed.

There is no narrative regarding attraction. Of course we can attract RBs.

The narrative is Davis' inability to recruit. And contrary to popular belief, he didn't lead the recruitment of Tre. He did lead the way for Miles, and from what I understand had some help. But that's a positive.

I'm on board with what *** is saying. I'll wait and see how this year plays out, but if he throws up another airball or only gets Roberts (who is basically ours to take) then we have a problem that needs fixed.
There has been a narrative exactly as *** stated it.

I guess when I think "pass heavy" that is what people refer to as throwing more than running. We weren't bottom half of the league both years, one year we were top half and one year bottom half per ESPN yards/game. That still isn't acceptable but when you think about us running the ball 523 times last year and throwing it 400 times, that means over half the time we were running the ball and doesn't scream "pass heavy" to me or "pass first." Tre Bryant was a 4 star on 247 sports but i'll agree every other service had him as a 3 star so no need to split hairs there.

What scares me to say is that we aren't pass heavy, but we are more efficient passing as it pertained to last year (looking at us throwing much less than running but being ranked higher in passing/game). That makes me almost want to vomit when thinking about our completion percentage and that our QB was more of a run threat. I think there's a lot of reasons for that. I think the first is when you go to practice, our DL is going hard at each other "live" and you look down at Cav and the OL and they are just working technique things. Now, that's not all the time, but it was something I earmarked to look back on. The other thing is we just don't go live all that much during the week, so things like 7 on 7 are more beneficial to us and then when we have to pick up that 3rd and short and want to run, we don't have as much practice doing it and less success.

I guess to circle it back to the original debate, I think Cav and Davis aren't getting the most out of the guys currently, and that is a place that is on watch for this season. But if an opposing coach tried negative recruiting saying "Nebraska is pass heavy" they could get put to shame with the simple numbers that make that statement inaccurate. The running game is going to have to set up the passing game for 2017 with play-action and a less mobile QB. It will be interesting to see if this year we finally pass more than we run, but in the first two years, that just simply hasn't been the case.

All true. Being an old curmudgeon, I look at 60/40 run to pass as balanced. And even under that standard we weren't overly pass heavy in 2016. But if I'm on the other side, I'd say "listen, the last 2 years these guys had a running back playing QB and they still threw it a lot. Given their history, once they get their guy in, how often do you think they'll run it? If history is any guide, not often."

All true. Being an old curmudgeon, I look at 60/40 run to pass as balanced. And even under that standard we weren't overly pass heavy in 2016. But if I'm on the other side, I'd say "listen, the last 2 years these guys had a running back playing QB and they still threw it a lot. Given their history, once they get their guy in, how often do you think they'll run it? If history is any guide, not often."
Understood... I will just say our inability to run the ball on 3rd and short for whatever reason was my biggest problem, whether we were run heavy, pass heavy, or balanced, we weren't able to do that against even the most remedial of teams. That simply has to change.

I can see that line of thinking, but over the last two years, if I were the OC, I'd have a hard time leaning on my OL to get me a 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3. Sad to say that for sure. Hopefully, IF the line is up to the task this year, DL will feel more at ease running the ball when situations dictate.

I can see that line of thinking, but over the last two years, if I were the OC, I'd have a hard time leaning on my OL to get me a 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3. Sad to say that for sure. Hopefully, IF the line is up to the task this year, DL will feel more at ease running the ball when situations dictate.
The OL has been weak no doubt. To ***'s point, if they aren't getting physical in practice, attempting to mirror game speed they'll never be ready in a game. For the life of me, I can't understand why none of the freshmen, redshirt freshman etc saw the field. If OSU and Wisky can do it and have go OL play as the year goes on, why can't we?

The OL has been weak no doubt. To ***'s point, if they aren't getting physical in practice, attempting to mirror game speed they'll never be ready in a game. For the life of me, I can't understand why none of the freshmen, redshirt freshman etc saw the field. If OSU and Wisky can do it and have go OL play as the year goes on, why can't we?

I can understand the true freshmen sitting. With coaches having to look ahead, I can see where they are planning to have the OL they recruited ready when their top QBs are ready. It's not like one of those guys was going to win us a game last year, so the argument is really about game experience. The coaches thought the extra year outweighed that, so they'll have to live with the outcome the next couple of years. Hopefully, the forest for the trees approach that many fail to see works out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back