• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to panic?

I wouldn't use panic, but i'm watching pretty closely, and there are some things that have me worried.

1) The number of commits we have right now being less than everyone except teams like Rutgers.
2) The number of JUCO offers that started to roll out
3) The lack of commitments at positions of need
4) I believe the extension was due to what we were hearing on the recruiting trail, so right or wrong, perception is reality with regard to recruits
5) Our season for the most part is going to end 5-7 barring some miracle

Reasons for optimism IMO:

1) Guys like Jahkeem Green, Noa Pola-Gates, Ty Robinson, and Wan'Dale Robinson all committed later than this last year so maybe we have some high level guys just on the fence
2) While I think we needed results on the field, I do think Frost was given one more year by recruits to show his vision between the lines
3) There are some guys like Fisher, Held, and Tuioti still in on some high level guys

As @N2FL brought up, the coaching carousel is going to cause more harm than good for us even with Frost's extension. Whoever takes the Florida State job is going to be all over guys like Gray to join their vision and not Frost's.

Here's more reason for optimism:. Imagine if we didn't get commits from Hutmacher, Gunnerson, Gray, and Corcoran.

Here's more reason for optimism:. Imagine if we didn't get commits from Hutmacher, Gunnerson, Gray, and Corcoran.

I have had enough Koolaid for 2019.

It's not Dec 19th yet, so they are not Huskers until they sign, a lot can still happen, so I remain scared, sorry.

That two year extension means bad things are happening out there in recruiting land :(.

GBR

They went after linemen in the 2019 class for sure, but not in the 2018 class. The lack of them created such a need at the position in 2019 that we took 7 commits on the OL. And if true that we need 3 years to develop what we recruit at OL, we are in serious trouble.

WR and DB were our biggest of priorities in 2018, along with making sure we got our QB.

Failure to recruit a 2018 OL by this staff is not a major issue? Have you seen our OL play or our record the first 2 years under Frost? We are 83rd in scoring offense, 65th in total offense, and 85th in sacks allowed and are about to have our second losing season out of two for this staff.

I mean, we sit there and say we need more of our guys, but then we say it's not an issue we didn't go after any in the 2018 class and trot out 5 guys out of 5 starters that aren't "their guys" in season 2 and are more than likely going to do it again in 2020?
Yeah, I was disappointed by the lack of OL in 2018, and even more once our lone commit didn’t make it. It all starts up front. Just having 2 elite O lineman and one elite D lineman would go a long way. It concerned be because they’re less likely to be able to immediately contribute and need more S&C and grooming than skill positions. I liked last years O line signees and this years commits. But, like you said, its concerning if it takes significant time to get them ready. That 2018 class hurt missing a whole year of developing O lineman. I kind of cut em some slack due to having to piece a class together in short order.

I don’t think it’s that bleak, but I am a little worried some our current commits could bail, especially if we lose the next two games. I’m not sure the extension correlates directly to the recruiting, I’m guessing a mixture of things with recruiting being a part of the equation. Who knows...

If we whiff on 2020 after this weekend recruiting anxiety will ratchet up quite a few notches for me. Our big selling point is game day experience. We are running out of possible games very very quickly.

tumblr_oovgk4y8CT1qk6qs7o3_250.gifv

Yeah, I was disappointed by the lack of OL in 2018, and even more once our lone commit didn’t make it. It all starts up front. Just having 2 elite O lineman and one elite D lineman would go a long way. It concerned be because they’re less likely to be able to immediately contribute and need more S&C and grooming than skill positions. I liked last years O line signees and this years commits. But, like you said, its concerning if it takes significant time to get them ready. That 2018 class hurt missing a whole year of developing O lineman. I kind of cut em some slack due to having to piece a class together in short order.

I'm guessing part of it was that they didn't have the right connections to land the kind of kids they wanted for 2018 so held off a bit. Even in the Walk-on class we only had 2 kids (Forbes and Shefke). But, with the move for Jurgens to Center, we have 2 guys in the 2 deep already for that class, and beyond that Forbes is a guy who is close to the 2 deep as well. Other problem is that it's tough to depend on Redshirt Frosh to play already (as we saw with Jurgens), so even if we'd gotten kids in this class they would likely still be in development for the most part.

Goes back more to how good you think the 2016 and 2017 classes were. Jaimes, Farniok, and Wilson are starting along with Hixson who came in through the walk-on class. Bando's our best backup, Sichterman and Raridan are on the depth chart at least.

While I don't think Jaimes and Farniok are a good fit for what we want out OT's to do, the last few games have been better for the OL in general, and with everyone back and with the youngsters competing, we should move things ahead next year.

Longer term - Benhart, Jurgens and the other youngsters' development will be the key. Austin's been killing it with his recruiting, so I think better OL play is ahead

I have had enough Koolaid for 2019.

It's not Dec 19th yet, so they are not Huskers until they sign, a lot can still happen, so I remain scared, sorry.

That two year extension means bad things are happening out there in recruiting land :(.

GBR
The lack of tangible progress on the field the last two seasons makes negative recruiting against NU and their staff too easy. I agree the extension smacks of a little desperation, not to mention the lack of committed recruits (13) for this next class. Sad.

No panic but apprehensive is the word.

I disagree with Crab, this 2020 class really needs to be special in that it needs at least 4 more Wan'dale like playmakers on both offense and defense.

I hope that the RB's we have committed are that kind of player that can be game breakers and fill the room next to Mills, moving Wan'dale to his Duck R position.

Need a big body WR, DE and ILB which I don't see on the list yet and hopefully will come from the JUCO ranks meaning they can walk in and start (more mature body).

2020 is a critical rebuild year IMHO.

GBR

I'm on a Nebraska fan sight, right? I had to check my URL to make sure it wasn't Clemson, Ohio State or Alabama. I mean, even those teams don't get 8+ players in a class that blow up in year 1 like Wan'Dale has. You're going to be disappointed if that's your barometer for this class, or any. Ever.

I'm on a Nebraska fan sight, right? I had to check my URL to make sure it wasn't Clemson, Ohio State or Alabama. I mean, even those teams don't get 8+ players in a class that blow up in year 1 like Wan'Dale has. You're going to be disappointed if that's your barometer for this class, or any. Ever.

I did not express my self very well did I.

I meant four players in total, spread amongst offense and defense.

In other threads I have detailed how four such players could flip this team from sub .500 to winning record, that's how close DONU is and how impactful such players can be.

Sorry about my poor verbiage.

I am not completely out of my mind (yet :) ).

GBR

Last edited:

No panic but apprehensive is the word.

I disagree with Crab, this 2020 class really needs to be special in that it needs at least 4 more Wan'dale like playmakers on both offense and defense.

I hope that the RB's we have committed are that kind of player that can be game breakers and fill the room next to Mills, moving Wan'dale to his Duck R position.

Need a big body WR, DE and ILB which I don't see on the list yet and hopefully will come from the JUCO ranks meaning they can walk in and start (more mature body).

2020 is a critical rebuild year IMHO.

GBR

I don't disagree that 2020 is a critical year, but let's be honest. Until this team starts calling it's shots on recruits, every year is critical.

If Nebraska signs 20-25 kids, you'll have what we've typically had in non coaching staff turnover years. Five kids will play major roles in the future. Five more will contribute significantly. Another five will make the team and might see the field during meaningful action and the rest will transfer, get hurt or never see the campus. Expecting 4 kids to make the kind of immediate impact Robinson did this year is setting yourself up to be greatly disappointed, IMO.

I don't disagree that 2020 is a critical year, but let's be honest. Until this team starts calling it's shots on recruits, every year is critical.

If Nebraska signs 20-25 kids, you'll have what we've typically had in non coaching staff turnover years. Five kids will play major roles in the future. Five more will contribute significantly. Another five will make the team and might see the field during meaningful action and the rest will transfer, get hurt or never see the campus. Expecting 4 kids to make the kind of immediate impact Robinson did this year is setting yourself up to be greatly disappointed, IMO.
Those are my five (or four) play makers.
To get to the next level of winning seasons and competing for the Big Ten West (which would only mean beating Purdue, Indiana, Colorado and Wisky, games we could have won) we need difference makers on both sides of the ball. We have AM, Wan'dale, Mills, and Spielman on offense and none on defense.
Give me two Big body WR, another RB and then Grant Wistrom and LaVonte David and this team is easily at 8-9 wins this year. That's all just 4 guys to turn this thing around. :)

GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back