• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

TIME FOR THE NEW POLL! COLLEGE FOOTBALL THIS FALL?

What's your best guess?

• Season cancelled

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Condensed schedule, football as usual

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Condensed schedule, no fans

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Season as usual, fans allowed

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Back to "almost" normal by August. Possibly a delayed season, due to lack of preseason practice time (safety and fitness concerns).

We will have kicked this Chinese commie virus in the Austin by then.

I guess I could see another possibility, not listed. Play a full schedule, maybe no fans for first game, phasing in as the season progresses.

But it all depends on getting students back to class first. After all, they are STUDENT athletes!

:p

Probably depends upon whether the university will be opened to students at that time. That is looking less and less likely because of the total failure to provide sufficient test kits for everyone. Don't know how you open the university without testing everyone. Our government prides itself on producing 3 million kits - We have over 330 million people living here. That is not a gap, that is a chasm.

If that hurdle is met, then the question becomes - why not all sports, and Title IX will still exist to be a stumbling block to singling out all-male football. In addition, I think that BBall is a net revenue producer (I could be wrong about that), so why not BBall too. Maybe women's volleyball is a net producer too, depending upon how the accountants allocate costs.

If get by that, then question of fans, since social distancing will be almost impossible at the stadium, particularly in the restrooms. Maybe no fans allowed so that will provide some dent to the revenues. Or fans will be allowed, thereby creating a real potential for starting another wave of virus infections and deaths.

If get by that, then question of just what the relationship to football is to the university will be front and center, and some might argue that it is time to recognize it as a professional sport far removed from athletic activities of the university. Now that's a far stretch I know, but what would we have if we permit a sport to call itself a college sport participating in its game while the students are not permitted to go to classes, that pays its athletes to play the game, that pays its head coach $5 million , that plays the game only for a TV audience, etc. That doesn't look like a bunch of the college kids getting together to play a game does it.

I doubt we get back to normal before we get a reliable vaccine, and I don't see that happening in the near future.

Probably depends upon whether the university will be opened to students at that time. That is looking less and less likely because of the total failure to provide sufficient test kits for everyone. Don't know how you open the university without testing everyone. Our government prides itself on producing 3 million kits - We have over 330 million people living here. That is not a gap, that is a chasm.

If that hurdle is met, then the question becomes - why not all sports, and Title IX will still exist to be a stumbling block to singling out all-male football. In addition, I think that BBall is a net revenue producer (I could be wrong about that), so why not BBall too. Maybe women's volleyball is a net producer too, depending upon how the accountants allocate costs.

If get by that, then question of fans, since social distancing will be almost impossible at the stadium, particularly in the restrooms. Maybe no fans allowed so that will provide some dent to the revenues. Or fans will be allowed, thereby creating a real potential for starting another wave of virus infections and deaths.

If get by that, then question of just what the relationship to football is to the university will be front and center, and some might argue that it is time to recognize it as a professional sport far removed from athletic activities of the university. Now that's a far stretch I know, but what would we have if we permit a sport to call itself a college sport participating in its game while the students are not permitted to go to classes, that pays its athletes to play the game, that pays its head coach $5 million , that plays the game only for a TV audience, etc. That doesn't look like a bunch of the college kids getting together to play a game does it.

I doubt we get back to normal before we get a reliable vaccine, and I don't see that happening in the near future.

Whoa. That’s intense. Don’t disagree, though.

I’m guessing condensed schedule with no fans, but everything is a shot in the dark right now.

I have a hard time seeing a season with fans. I know the ADs are saying they can't imagine playing without fans in the stands but a soccer game in Italy was critical event for their outbreak. No one is going to want to risk that. University administrators are proving themselves to be extremely risk averse. I increasingly expect the fall semester to be taught via distance. There will be no football if there are no students on campus.

I voted for condensed season with no fans but see no season at all as increasingly likely.

This really could alter the landscape significantly. I could see a significant number of small colleges closing and the athletic landscape might be altered dramatically. The facilities arms race of recent years could really bite some schools who have significant debt, especially those schools without big donor bases. I think UNL is positioned better than most but the budget squeeze is going to get serious if some of these measures persist in to the fall.

Last edited:
I have a hard time seeing a season with fans. I know the ADs are saying they can't imagine playing without fans in the stands but a soccer game in Italy was critical event for their outbreak. No one is going to want to risk that. University administrators are proving themselves to be extremely risk averse. I increasingly expect the fall semester to be taught via distance. There will be no football if there are no students on campus.

I voted for condensed season with no fans but see no season at all as increasingly likely.

This really could alter the landscape significantly. I could see a significant number of small colleges closing and the athletic landscape might be altered dramatically. The facilities arms race of recent years could really bite some schools who have significant debt, especially those schools without big donor bases. I think UNL is positioned better than most but the budget squeeze is going to get serious if some of these measures persist in to the fall.

It's all going to depend on the antibody testing. If we find out 40% of the population already has it this thing is a lot less scary and we don't shut games down for people having the flu.

It's all going to depend on the antibody testing. If we find out 40% of the population already has it this thing is a lot less scary and we don't shut games down for people having the flu.

I agree but decision makers seem to be erring on the side of abundant caution at this point. It's hard to predict the twists and turns, both scientific and political, that will take place between now and then that will affect the final decision. What I am seeing as a faculty member at an FBS university forces me to be less optimistic about a season occurring than I was earlier.

Last edited:

I agree but decision makers seem to be erring on the side of abundant caution at this point. It's hard to predict the twists and turns, both scientific and political, that will take place between now and then that will affect the final decision. What I am seeing as a faculty member at an FBS university forces me to be less optimistic about a season occurring than I was earlier.

I'm not very optimistic either. Just starting to get too political and people are ignoring the science and it feels like we've taken a turn for the worst on trying to figure things out.

GET TICKETS

Back