• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

TIME FOR THE NEW POLL! COLLEGE FOOTBALL THIS FALL?

What's your best guess?

• Season cancelled

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Condensed schedule, football as usual

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Condensed schedule, no fans

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Season as usual, fans allowed

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not very optimistic either. Just starting to get too political and people are ignoring the science and it feels like we've taken a turn for the worst on trying to figure things out.
I'm actually more optimistic this week than I was earlier. For one thing, some people are showing the antibody who hadn't had any symptoms. So maybe the "cure" / immunity is more widespread than anyone realizes.

I do think the key factor will be the availability of a quick, reliable test.

But think about it. Two months ago, who could have predicted what we are seeing today? The end may come just as abruptly.

I think we could play, but there might be a lot of open dates, depending on what knucklehead bureaucrats you are dealing with. According to the LA mayor, there won't be any games this year in LA. So I am glad we aren't scheduled to play USC or UCLA.

I have given up on college entirely for 2020. Still a faint pulse for NFL. But if we get that second surge as predicted, it will all be wiped.

Didn‘t Zuckerturd tell all employees today for FB no gatherings over 50 people until June 2021 today? My company just extended work from home until May 31. Not looking good.

I have given up on college entirely for 2020. Still a faint pulse for NFL. But if we get that second surge as predicted, it will all be wiped.

Didn‘t Zuckerturd tell all employees today for FB no gatherings over 50 people until June 2021 today? My company just extended work from home until May 31. Not looking good.
The gatherings of not over 50 people favors Northwestern for their home games. Not fair!

I voted season cancelled. As @EastOfEden said, if there are no students on campus there will likely be no games. You just can't justify the risk for athletes and coaches if you say in-person classes are too risky for other students, faculty and staff. And I think @wheat is right that it seems unlikely that most universities will have on-campus classes in the Fall. But I hope this is wrong as a Fall without football would just suck.

Part of the problem is that there are just too many unknowns right now that may or may not be resolved by mid-summer when decisions need to be made about reopening campuses and about the Fall sports.

Last edited:
Gonna suck if there's no football season at all. I feel like we've already lost our recruiting mojo, and if we don't get the chance for a good season on the field, we may end up losing more top recruits.

Not to be negative...

I voted season cancelled. As @EastOfEden said, if there are no students on campus there will likely be no games. You just can't justify the risk for athletes and coaches if you say in-person classes are too risky for other students, faculty and staff. And I think @wheat is right that it seems unlikely that most universities will have on-campus classes in the Fall. But I hope this is wrong as a Fall without football would just suck.

Part of the problem is that there are just too many unknowns right now that may or may not be resolved by mid-summer when decisions need to be made about reopening campuses and about the Fall sports.

We are hearing that the University of Kansas is considering announcing their decision on fall classes in the next couple of weeks and they are considering a hybrid approach starting the fall with no students on campus and bringing them in later.

There's a lot I don't like about that. It seems odd to make the decision so soon. Why not wait until you know more? Campus budget models are increasingly built on enrollment and I think anything that starts off with distance instruction will be a disaster for enrollment. In addition, depending on how many people have already had the virus, another wave is more likely to occur in colder weather so you're going to bring them back right when the risk elevates?

This was mostly lightly substantiated rumor so I'm hoping their administration reconsiders making the decision so soon but it might be driven by given faculty time to prepare for distance instruction. It certainly stunk to try to figure that out on the fly.

Last edited:

We are hearing that the University of Kansas is considering announcing their decision on fall classes in the next couple of weeks and they are considering a hybrid approach starting the fall with no students on campus and bringing them in later.

There's a lot I don't like about that. It seems odd to make the decision so soon. Why not wait until you know more? Campus budget models are increasingly built on enrollment and I think anything that starts off with distance instruction will be a disaster for enrollment. In addition, depending on how many people have already had the virus, another wave is more likely to occur in colder weather so you're going to bring them back right when the risk elevates?

This was mostly lightly substantiated rumor so I'm hoping their administration reconsiders making the decision so soon but it might be driven by given faculty time to prepare for distance instruction. It certainly stunk to try to figure that out on the fly.

Yea, it seems odd not to wait. There are lots of students that feel cheated by online classes, and understandably so as it's not what they signed up for. To start with an early announcement that classes are going to be online, at least initially, does seem like a recipe for an enrollment disaster. Though to be fair, I'd be pissed as a student if, after I paid my deposit and made plans, a school made that announcement. There's something to be said for being honest about what's likely to happen, even if it costs you. And as you said, the faculty will need time to prepare for online courses.

I recently retired from a faculty position at a midwestern research university, and I'm really glad I missed the sudden switch to online instruction. I taught using extensive small group discussions in classes of 120+ students, and it would have been a cluster **** to try to move that online with little time to figure out how to do it decently.

“If we’re looking at remote learning in the fall...I think it’s more likely students will take a gap year or semester..."

Yea, it seems odd not to wait. There are lots of students that feel cheated by online classes, and understandably so as it's not what they signed up for. To start with an early announcement that classes are going to be online, at least initially, does seem like a recipe for an enrollment disaster. Though to be fair, I'd be pissed as a student if, after I paid my deposit and made plans, a school made that announcement. There's something to be said for being honest about what's likely to happen, even if it costs you. And as you said, the faculty will need time to prepare for online courses.

I recently retired from a faculty position at a midwestern research university, and I'm really glad I missed the sudden switch to online instruction. I taught using extensive small group discussions in classes of 120+ students, and it would have been a cluster **** to try to move that online with little time to figure out how to do it decently.

“If we’re looking at remote learning in the fall...I think it’s more likely students will take a gap year or semester..."

I agree that a "bait and switch" won't go over well. It seems like all the options are lose-lose.

Sounds like your class would have been really hard to move on line. You missed out on all the fun!

I agree that many students will take a gap year. I think some will also look at cheaper online options. A much as we'd like to think school choice is based on academic goals, there are a lot of other factors. Many of those positives for recruitment, from campus environment to access to athletic events to opportunities for hands on research, are nullified by the online approach.

Last edited:
Gonna suck if there's no football season at all. I feel like we've already lost our recruiting mojo, and if we don't get the chance for a good season on the field, we may end up losing more top recruits.

Not to be negative...
Pal when you lose next years top in state recruit to Minnesota it does not get any more negative than that.

Pal when you lose next years top in state recruit to Minnesota it does not get any more negative than that.
If you mean by it being embarrassing, it would be worse if he went to Kansas or Wyoming, et al. If you mean it will hurt us in conference, it would have been worse if he had gone to Iowa or Wisconsin as they sometimes get that caliber of DB but rarely have more than 1 or 2. If you mean both, it would have been worse if he had gone to Northwestern or Purdue.

Losing him sucks, but his going to Minnesota is not as bad as a lot of other options ... unless Minnesota beats us in a close game due to his heroics.

If it helps, that kid was never coming to NU. A friend of mine is very close with that family. As of last summer, NU was not at the top of his list. Most recently it was Ohio St. They were stunned he picked Minn over OSU.

I pray there is football. I am not excited about an altered schedule playing Iowa and Wiscy twice. The non-conf games would help us get wins. If we have a bad year, we are set back AGAIN. Recruiting will suffer. Again. But I guess it’s better than nothing? If we have a player that tests positive do we forfeit games? How many?

My office just extended our wfh “at the earliest” until Sept—in a state where it will be 110 until then. If the pro sports are dragging their feet, is that a good omen? I just don’t know.

GET TICKETS

Back