• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tim Miles reaching out to a DL recruit?

At 285? There's 6'4" basketball players that can't dunk. I think your story illustrates that dunking for a linemen isn't easy, and you are pretty special if you can do it and carry the weight.
Yes, at 285... if it is not huge percentage of body fat (many linemen need some body fat as it you lose muscle along with body fat).

That lineman was 6' 1" You take a few inches away from shoulder height, take a little off the reach (likely proportional to height) along with the 3" likely less shoulder height, he was giving up at least a hand length and then some.

Hey, I realize bodies are not all proportional. One of the funny points about Charles Barkley was he had no neck, and his shoulders were pretty high for his height and he a great reach... So his metrics were equal to those of many taller players.

Yes, not all basketball players who are 6' 4" can dunk, but not all 6' 4" basketball players get top tier D-1 linemen scholarships.

But what I really want to know, more than whether the guy can dunk, is how well does he move around the court. Can he box out? Does he run well.

Last edited:

Yes, at 285... if it is not huge percentage of body fat (many linemen need some body fat as it you lose muscle along with body fat).

That lineman was 6' 1" You take a few inches away from shoulder height, take a little off the reach (likely proportional to height) along with the 3" likely less shoulder height, he was giving up at least a hand length and then some.

Hey, I realize bodies are not all proportional. One of the funny points about Charles Barkley was he had no neck, and his shoulders were pretty high for his height and he a great reach... So his metrics were equal to those of many taller players.

Yes, not all basketball players who are 6' 4" can dunk, but not all 6' 4" basketball players get top tier D-1 linemen scholarships.

But what I really want to know, more than whether the guy can dunk, is how well does he move around the court. Can he box out? Does he run well.
Our 2 6’4” OL guys starting this year couldn’t dunk in high school. This isn’t a WR or S we are talking about. If we have a 6’4 skill position recruit that can’t dunk, he’s never playing.

Last edited:
At 285? There's 6'4" basketball players that can't dunk. I think your story illustrates that dunking for a linemen isn't easy, and you are pretty special if you can do it and carry the weight.
Not only does he dunk it. He does it off of a self pass off the backboard. Which takes quickness, agility, and good hand eye coordination.

Our 2 6’4” OL guys starting this year couldn’t dunk in high school. This isn’t a WR or S we are talking about. If we have a 6’4 skill position recruit that can’t dunk, he’s never playing.
I guess I will take your word for it; like I do on most other things.

I am as nonathletic as someone who worked out a bunch could be. At a shade under 6', I could touch the rim a fair percentage of the time with a mid/high-20's vertical. So I was thinking a 6' 4" with a mid/high 20's vertical should probably be able to dunk. Also, back in the day, there was a lot of bragging on people who could dunk and it didn't necessarily equate to much (so they can dunk, can they play basketball? Even better, can they dunk in a game? Playing in the paint?).

Of course IIRC, Boyd Epply put huge emphasis on the vertical as he saw it as a very strong measure of explosiveness. And I understand why from a physics measurement standpoint. So I understand the eyes being opened on a too short 300# prospect. A man bites dog story.

But, to your point, I decided to peruse the NFL combine results. Hey, if any of our recruits get invited, that should generally mean they had a great career.

Pretty interesting. Worst result 19.5" by a 6' 8" OL from OU (Orlando Brown 3rd round OT) I wonder if he can touch the rim just standing under the basket?:Biggrin: A lot of results in the 20's where you'd expect most of the 300+ guys. I looked more closely in the 30's and they were mostly DE types who were carrying much less than 300# (270 to 290).

Of course then there are the "didn't test" and they were mostly top draft picks.:Biggrin: Why give those turkeys something to ding you on when they should just watch the damn film.

So, the best of the best, I wonder how many of them can dunk a basketball... But then, I am the master of irrelevant trivia.

Last edited:
I guess I will take your word for it; like I do on most other things.

I am as nonathletic as someone who worked out a bunch could be. At a shade under 6', I could touch the rim a fair percentage of the time with a mid/high-20's vertical. So I was thinking a 6' 4" with a mid/high 20's vertical should probably be able to dunk. Also, back in the day, there was a lot of bragging on people who could dunk and it didn't necessarily equate to much (so they can dunk, can they play basketball? Even better, can they dunk in a game? Playing in the paint?).

Of course IIRC, Boyd Epply put huge emphasis on the vertical as he saw it as a very strong measure of explosiveness. And I understand why from a physics measurement standpoint. So I understand the eyes being opened on a too short 300# prospect. A man bites dog story.

But, to your point, I decided to peruse the NFL combine results. Hey, if any of our recruits get invited, that should generally mean they had a great career.

Pretty interesting. Worst result 19.5" by a 6' 8" OL from OU (Orlando Brown 3rd round OT) I wonder if he can touch the rim just standing under the basket?:Biggrin: A lot of results in the 20's where you'd expect most of the 300+ guys. I looked more closely in the 30's and they were mostly DE types who were carrying much less than 300# (270 to 290).

Of course then there are the "didn't test" and they were mostly top draft picks.:Biggrin: Why give those turkeys something to ding you on when they should just watch the damn film.

So, the best of the best, I wonder how many of them can dunk a basketball... But then, I am the master of irrelevant trivia.

Keep in mind he's dunking two handed here. To even dunk with one hand, you typically need to get to be able to get about 7-8 inches of your hand and arm above the rim. To dunk two handed you need to add another couple of inches of jumping ability.

Keep in mind he's dunking two handed here. To even dunk with one hand, you typically need to get to be able to get about 7-8 inches of your hand and arm above the rim. To dunk two handed you need to add another couple of inches of jumping ability.
He is also moving towards the basket which forward momentum converts to extra height. Let's just say his vertical is 30 inches. At the combine that puts him in the top 40% of tested linemen. But, of course not every lineman with a 30 in vertical makes that select group. And almost as many did not test as did better than 30 inches (presumably most would have done worse).

Was curious about his basketball playing. Did a quick search. One game 10 of 12; NC feeds the ball into him as a strategy. Another game 7 of 14. Averaging ~12 ppg. So, glad he is playing BB and is one of his team's better players.

Do you ever get the feeling you're sitting in the middle of a knitting circle in some of these threads?
585927-278314-14.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back