• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tim miles has been fired

I don't have a problem with what you are saying in principle. I think Nee was the coach that Byrne wanted to hire - but he didn't have crazy moneybags or a program to sell. He did have a team that just made the tournament and an opening because the coach quit. That's the last time that Nebraska got the coach the wanted.

In 2000, Nebraska tried to get Tulsa's coach to come to Lincoln, but he went to Champagne-Urbana instead. Bill Self. Barry Collier had done good work at Butler, but maybe his assistant would have been a better hire (Thad Matta).
In 2006, Collier quit in the summer to become Butler's AD. Nebraska had to scramble and found Doc Sadler, which was a pretty good get for a last second hire.
In 2012, Nebraska was rumored to be in on John Groce early - Groce went to a better program in Illinois. UNL ended up with a pretty decent hire in Tim Miles.

So you want a break from the past: if Moos hires Fred Hoiberg, UNL will be hiring their first choice, and not losing out to texassing Illinois for a head coach again. That's pretty much the best one can hope for. If it isn't Hoiberg, at least Illinois isn't hiring this season. Yet.
Good synopsis except Nee was hired by The Bobfather.

His pay was 1.5mil his first 4 years. How does that rate for opening contracts?
According to business insider, in 2014 Jim Boeheim made 1.9 million. Dana Altman made 1.8 at Oregon and was the 25th highest paid coach in the country. I’d say 1.5 was pretty solid. By contrast, Steve Alford made 2.6 million. If we’d only spent more, we could be like UCLA.

I don't have a problem with what you are saying in principle. I think Nee was the coach that Byrne wanted to hire - but he didn't have crazy moneybags or a program to sell. He did have a team that just made the tournament and an opening because the coach quit. That's the last time that Nebraska got the coach the wanted.

In 2000, Nebraska tried to get Tulsa's coach to come to Lincoln, but he went to Champagne-Urbana instead. Bill Self. Barry Collier had done good work at Butler, but maybe his assistant would have been a better hire (Thad Matta).
In 2006, Collier quit in the summer to become Butler's AD. Nebraska had to scramble and found Doc Sadler, which was a pretty good get for a last second hire.
In 2012, Nebraska was rumored to be in on John Groce early - Groce went to a better program in Illinois. UNL ended up with a pretty decent hire in Tim Miles.

So you want a break from the past: if Moos hires Fred Hoiberg, UNL will be hiring their first choice, and not losing out to texassing Illinois for a head coach again. That's pretty much the best one can hope for. If it isn't Hoiberg, at least Illinois isn't hiring this season. Yet.
Ok but pretty sure Nee was here before Byrne

So, all those examples of extremely successful coaches, all who came from the Assistant ranks, and most who took a turn in the Mid Majors means nothing? So your contention is we need to focus on someone's cast off, or try to outbid someone and convince them we are a step up? Just for grins, give me a couple of guys you think we can poach who are currently successful P5 guys?

Why are you always being so obtuse and putting words in my mouth ? Hoiberg isn’t any of those things. Of course a guy like TF could be an option too. Success at P5 but now at mid major. If you were so set on wanting to argue maybe we could have a worthwhile discussion

Your contention is he was some low ball guy at 1.5, and I'm telling you the salary was anything but low ball 7 years ago, and especially not for a guy coming from the mid majors, or if he'd been a high profile assistant. I'm really confused as to what you are wanting us to focus on? If your only thought is trying to steal a coach from say Texas Tech, or South Carolina, I'd give that up, that bidding war would get absurd. If you are saying Mike Anderson, or another coach cast off, I'm OK with looking at that, but he was only making 2.5, and I wouldn't see him meriting a hire salary since he was just fired for not meeting expectations. Or is that not paying enough?

I see you like the word “contention”

You are making way more difficult that needed. I have said what my point is now than once

I see you like the word “contention”

You are making way more difficult that needed. I have said what my point is now than once
How about assertion? You have made assertions. Will that help?

Since you seem set on avoiding any form of actual responses, I’ll have to assume you either realize your original thought was flawed, or you have no candidates to speak of that actually meet your requirements.

You made an inaccurate statement about our willingness to pay. I and others have shown you that was incorrect, as was belief hiring a mid major is wrong. You followed it up with an equally silly statement about assistant hires being Hail Marys, when all of the current top coaches were assistants at one time, so hiring assistant coaches is actually one of the best ways to fill vacancies.

Look, I get it, you kinda like to complain, and you think the notion of going out and getting a ‘proven winner’, is the answer to our program prayers. The problem I see is you don’t really have ideas on a list of names that meet all of your criteria. This isn’t about where the coach comes from, it’s about if he’s the right fit for our program.

How about assertion? You have made assertions. Will that help?

Since you seem set on avoiding any form of actual responses, I’ll have to assume you either realize your original thought was flawed, or you have no candidates to speak of that actually meet your requirements.

You made an inaccurate statement about our willingness to pay. I and others have shown you that was incorrect, as was belief hiring a mid major is wrong. You followed it up with an equally silly statement about assistant hires being Hail Marys, when all of the current top coaches were assistants at one time, so hiring assistant coaches is actually one of the best ways to fill vacancies.

Look, I get it, you kinda like to complain, and you think the notion of going out and getting a ‘proven winner’, is the answer to our program prayers. The problem I see is you don’t really have ideas on a list of names that meet all of your criteria. This isn’t about where the coach comes from, it’s about if he’s the right fit for our program.

You jsut wanted to railroad me into some weird place that you wanted the discussion to go. It was weird and my point still stands and now we broken our hiring pattern and got FH which I'm VERY excited about.

I was hoping Tim would get an extension but then I saw they got hoiberg and now I'm excited and that's cool.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back