• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tim Beck

My older brother lived in the Raleigh area for 29 years and is a big NC ST. fan. Offered him up my condolences.

Being a NC State fan must be tough. They haven't excelled in a major sport in a long long time. Usually they are mediocre to decent. Sometimes bad. On top of that, Duke and UNC are within spitting distance and are usually great in basketball. Ironically it was Everret Case at NC State that really got Tobacco Road and ACC basketball rolling and drove Duke and UNC to develop great programs.

My older brother lived in the Raleigh area for 29 years and is a big NC ST. fan. Offered him up my condolences.
I know a lot of folks don't care for Beck, but his final season with Nebraska saw the Huskers score more points per game (37.8) than all but one season (2000, 41.5) this century.

And since the century didn't officially start until 2001, Beck's 2014 offense technically holds the honor of Nebraska's highest scoring offense of the 21st century.

Being a NC State fan must be tough. They haven't excelled in a major sport in a long long time. Usually they are mediocre to decent. Sometimes bad. On top of that, Duke and UNC are within spitting distance and are usually great in basketball. Ironically it was Everret Case at NC State that really got Tobacco Road and ACC basketball rolling and drove Duke and UNC to develop great programs.

Imagine a combination of A&M, Missouri, and Iowa fans. Delusional, arrogant, ridiculous, and rude. Ladies and gentlemen, that's the majority of NC State fans.

Imagine a combination of A&M, Missouri, and Iowa fans. Delusional, arrogant, ridiculous, and rude. Ladies and gentlemen, that's the majority of NC State fans.

Yep, but you get out of the Triangle and you don't run into many of them anymore except for alumni.

Having several Power Five programs in such close proximity there's some funny, or perhaps sad, fan dynamics in NC. So many of the Duke students and alumni are from other areas of the country. Many of the local fans hate UNC but it's adopted for most students and graduates so it's a little less serious and there's a little more perspective there. Plus they catch so much hate from everyone that they don't obsess over UNC as much as the other way around. UNC, despite being a blue blood among blue bloods in CBB and easily being the most popular school in the state, their fan base is really obsessed with Duke. A little too much for my taste and quite frankly, at a bit of an embarrassing level given their own status. They should be a little more focused on themselves IMO. But then there are State fans. It's like a jilted ex wife or crazy ex girlfriend on steroids. They can't see straight they are so obsessed with UNC. They hate Duke too, but nothing like their distaste for UNC. Then there is Wake Forest over in the corner with no one really paying attention to them unless they happen to be really good at the time.

Yep, but you get out of the Triangle and you don't run into many of them anymore except for alumni.

Having several Power Five programs in such close proximity there's some funny, or perhaps sad, fan dynamics in NC. So many of the Duke students and alumni are from other areas of the country. Many of the local fans hate UNC but it's adopted for most students and graduates so it's a little less serious and there's a little more perspective there. Plus they catch so much hate from everyone that they don't obsess over UNC as much as the other way around. UNC, despite being a blue blood among blue bloods in CBB and easily being the most popular school in the state, their fan base is really obsessed with Duke. A little too much for my taste and quite frankly, at a bit of an embarrassing level given their own status. They should be a little more focused on themselves IMO. But then there are State fans. It's like a jilted ex wife or crazy ex girlfriend on steroids. They can't see straight they are so obsessed with UNC. They hate Duke too, but nothing like their distaste for UNC. Then there is Wake Forest over in the corner with no one really paying attention to them unless they happen to be really good at the time.

Older UNC fans acknowledge that their one and only rival is and always will be State. Older UNC fans are also what I call the only UNC football fans. All the younger fans only care about bball.
You nailed with State fans and their obsession. During the NCAA investigation of UNC, they would have their own investigations on their fan site, including a dude who hacked the UNC system to get Julius Peppers college transcript.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back