• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

TIE GOES TO THE RUNNER

Elwood von Kiowa

Major Fongbomb
10 Year Member
We all learned this rule since we were in preschool. Over the last few years though, I had occasionally heard the preposterous notion that "the runner has to beat the ball". I'm bringing this up now because I heard it again in a B1G broadcast again today (Iowa at MSU maybe?).

So I looked it up. Apparently the "new" interpretation came from MLB umpire Tim McClelland (who must be some kind of a schmoe, because he was also involved in the George Brett pine tar call) who wrote that the concept of a tie at a base does not exist, and that a runner either beats the ball or does not.

Well, that's wrong.

The rule is stated in the Official Baseball Rules, 5.09(a)(10), as follows: (The runner is out when) "After a third strike or after he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged before he touches first base". (emphasis added)

In other words, if it's a tie, the runner is safe.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

We all learned this rule since we were in preschool. Over the last few years though, I had occasionally heard the preposterous notion that "the runner has to beat the ball".
Well, its probably safer than saying, "the ball has to beat the runner"
tenor.gif

We all learned this rule since we were in preschool. Over the last few years though, I had occasionally heard the preposterous notion that "the runner has to beat the ball". I'm bringing this up now because I heard it again in a B1G broadcast again today (Iowa at MSU maybe?).

So I looked it up. Apparently the "new" interpretation came from MLB umpire Tim McClelland (who must be some kind of a schmoe, because he was also involved in the George Brett pine tar call) who wrote that the concept of a tie at a base does not exist, and that a runner either beats the ball or does not.

Well, that's wrong.

The rule is stated in the Official Baseball Rules, 5.09(a)(10), as follows: (The runner is out when) "After a third strike or after he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged before he touches first base". (emphasis added)

You're welcome.
I have been arguing this for decades! I am 83, and growing up, the tie always went to the runner. Well, that ceased to exist in my adulthood!! I never heard that it should be changed, or that it did change! It just creeped up and bit the runner in the ass!

I still bitch and moan, when I see thee runner is robbed, whether it is my team or the other!!

Why should the onus be on the shoulders of the runner? It's ludicrous, to say the least. Umps should be seen, but not heard!! Unfortunately, that will never happen!!

I am with you, Elwood!!

TIE GOES TO THE RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, hope the family is doing well. Take care, and have a wonderful Memorial Holiday. God bless all those who fought and died for us.

GO BIG RED!!!

In fact, I would take it even farther in favor of a “Tie” goes to the runner….

Umpires watch but also use their ears on a play at first. They hear the pop of the ball into the glove and also are watching the foot.

In that instance…. If it appears simultaneous…the pop in the glove and the foot.….

The runner has obviously beaten the throw because the fielder then has to demonstrate control of the ball in his glove.

micro split second to close the glove…but in truth it has happened AFTER the runners foot has touched the bag.

Of course this assumes a simultaneous ”pop“ in the glove and foot on the bag….

I had no idea that this has become a thing in college and pros because it’s certainly not the case in high school baseball…at least here in Virginia.

Tie always goes to the runner…

Unless it’s late in the game and the umpire is late for supper… :)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back