• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Throwing Martinez under the Bus

Wasn't that our Kordell Stewart strategy? Hit him until he couldn't focus on his passing and couldn't run as hard
I think that that was Item #1 every week for McBride's defenses for 20 years: "Okay, first, we're going to smack their QB around to find out how he responds." It's generally a good strategy. It definitely worked against both Kordell Stewart and Koy Detmer in the 90s.

I am begging to think that certain quirks with AM are not really changeable. The difference this year is people understand his tendencies and have scouted him well. I do not think it is sophomore slump as much as his lack of creativity is on film. Teams scout film and understand his weakness. I think AM needs to break the mold to make teams second guess what he is going to do. It is pretty hard to undo people throwing motion and cognitive decision skills. Maybe there are too many decisions for him too make so he looks for Spielman or Wan Dale. He trusts these targets when pressure or mental breakdowns happen.
Coach's job...

As both a Rams and a Huskers fan, it pains me to bring up this classic example, but I give you Jim Everett and the Phantom Sack....

The Rams and 49ers were neck and neck in the late 80s, but the 49ers always won in the playoffs when it mattered. Jim Everett was on a path to be a Hall of Fame QB,... and then that happened. He was never the same. The Rams O-line had been the best in the NFL for most of the 80s, and they didn't suddenly become awful, but they aged and wore down, and suddenly Jim Everett's sky-high passing numbers took a nosedive that gave the Hindenburg a challenge for the title of "Most Fiery Nosedive Crash."
Frazier was a better leader and true option quarterback, no question. I’m having a hard time thinking of another option quarterback is put in the same class. It is a really short list.
The only better option QB at Nebraska was the Senior version of Scott Frost. Gill (any year) was likely a near equal as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back