• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

three year goal for Mens BB

Nebugeater

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
What should the realistic Goal of the Men’s program be in the next three year window?

Of course the goal should be to win the NCAA tourney but let’s talk realistically on what the goal should be for let’s say the next three years.

Here are some options
Win the NCAA Tourney
Make the NCAA Tourney and win a game or three
Make the NCAA and go one and done
Win the NIT
Win a few in the NIT
Make the NIT and one and done
Something less than this

Since the 2005/06 season we have only made it past #6 once. That was in 08 with a first round NIT win over Charlotte.

2006 NIT first round loss to Hofstra.
2007 Nothing.
2008 NIT first round win over Charlotte (noted above) and loss to Mississippi in second round.
2009 NIT first round loss to New Mexico
2010 Nothing
2011 NIT first round loss to Wichita St
2012 Home watching BB on TV most likely

So with all that behind us in the Doc era what gives us any hope that there are better things to come? I like Doc and supported him until this year. His time to turn it around has come and gone. What recruit in their right mind will look at facilities only, and say yep, that is where I want to go? If that is the reason why they choose to come will they help make things any better? It is time to reset everything and strike while the facilities and arena are hot, and add to that with the ability to recruit with a new staff and attitude in place. I wish Doc the best. Would thank him for everything. I truly believe he has tried, but the time has come.

Back to my original question on what I believe the realistic goal should be for the three year window. Make the NCAA tourney and win a few games at least once. And your belief of a three year goal is?

Last edited:

If there's a new head coach his first year is a near complete "pass". The roster is an unbelievable mess. I'd be looking at things like recruiting, effort, style, etc. that first year.

Year two I'd want to see progress...along the lines of what you are seeing Iowa do right now.

Year three he should be a "bubble" team maybe. NIT for sure.

By year 4 he should be in the NCAA.

Two, or even one, special players can make a diff. in Basketball, unlike football. I would hope with the the right person and the facilities we now can recruit to we can be in the NCAA in year three.

If there's a new head coach his first year is a near complete "pass". The roster is an unbelievable mess. I'd be looking at things like recruiting, effort, style, etc. that first year.

Year two I'd want to see progress...along the lines of what you are seeing Iowa do right now.

Year three he should be a "bubble" team maybe. NIT for sure.

By year 4 he should be in the NCAA.

Being competitive in conference play (.500?) would be a lofty goal at this point as well. I might rank that up there pretty high within the next three years given how things have gone and are going.

Being competitive in conference play (.500?) would be a lofty goal at this point as well. I might rank that up there pretty high within the next three years given how things have gone and are going.

Which is about all you have to do to get in the dance out of the Big 10

Not finish last in the BIG 3 consecutive years.

I like to dream big!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep. As I've mentioned, Doc is 1-2 in NIT games -- in six seasons (he's not going this year).

Collier was 2-2 in seven seasons.

Ugh.

The goals for the future were outlined quite well by bilsker.

Thread revival...

I started this in 2012 and for some reason remebered this thread just now. I would say, based on the expectations of the few that commented here, we are ahead of schedual.

Last edited:
Thread revival...

I started this in 2012 and for some reason remebered this thread just now. I would say, based on the expectations of the few that commented here, we are ahead of schedual.

We are ahead of my schedule.

Making it to the dance and actually winning a game would be rareifed air for the huskers.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back