• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked thoughts on the staff and recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawkfanseth

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
1) Why two QBs?
After this year we will have 5 on the roster plus 2 from this class. That's 7 QBs. I don't see Jamal Turner switching positions. I'm guessing the main reason he committed was because the staff told him we'd give him a shot at QB. Now I've heard of being deep but c'mon....
2) It seems like this staff can't land a highly rated receiver. Taariq Allen looks ok, but judging by the quality of the company we're in (Uconn, Tulane, Wisconsin) he's not elite. Taylor could use someone to stretch the field and unload the box so to speak, and just a downfield threat is crucial in just about any offense. We lose Paul and McNeil this year...Will Cody Green switch to TE? Is Jean Baptiste any good? those offers aren't too impressive
3) Good job on the O line recruiting...throwin in some positive here
4) Finally, it seems like Pelini has a much easier time recruiting defense as opposed to offense. BC was criticized for the opposite

I'm thrilled we have a top ten recruiting class. I just saw these few things and thought I'd point them out and see what everyone's thoughts are....I think receiver could be a real problem for the huskers in coming years. Our receivers don't look all that good right now, and I'm concerned helps not on the way...

1) QB - There are 7 QB's on the roster right now. Not just next year. A peculiar question the after a week where the 3rd string QB just started a game. If two elite level HS QB's want to come to your program you take them. Both are fantastic athletes and the potential exists that one or both could end up at other positions after they get a shot at QB. Starling is likely a first round MLB draft pick, probably will never see the football field at NU, but I sure hope he does. Bottom line if can can grab them both, you don't hesitate to do it. With the QB running the ball more in this offense depth becomes crucial.
2) NU has a True Freshman seeing the field at WR this year in Enuwa, I believe the staff was very high on Allen so regardless of who was recruiting him, he must be what they are looking for. Cooper is just a Soph and could still emerge... still a very talented kid. Jean Baptiste looks good on paper... Kenny Bell was a nice pick up last year as well. I don't think the cupboard is bare at all at WR.
3) yup
4) For starters see your number three. Add in the two "Elite" QB's from this class that were criticized in number 1, A. Green at RB (one of the absolute best in the country) and I'm not to sure an argument can be made about troubles getting recruits for the offense. His recruits on offense seem to be working out well so far, Martinez, Rodriguez, Burkhead, Reed, Cotton, Qvale, Sirles, etc...

I think it is pretty tough to criticize the recruiting class being put together this year... and the last couple of years are working out pretty well too... you might have noticed NU is 8-1. The best recruiting tool will always remain winning. I think NU is gonna be just fine. :)

jamal turner is a difference maker, & might just be another percy harvin / jeremy maclin-esque "wingback" & will see the field next fall & perhaps help indirectly answer your question #2.

Bubba may never step foot on campus, but worth a shot on someone that talented.

not sure regarding your question #4. Martinez, Burkhead, the QB's listed above, +RB Aaron Green & some other offers still out there, make for some serious offensive talent & potential difference makers.

BP has focused on fixing the pipeline while adding difference makers to run through over and around it ..... order is being restored in the heartland on both sides of the ball. :cool:

Agree with coherbie, as I was watching the Steelers v. Bengals highlights this morning they showed a pass thrown by Randle El. maybe one of our QB's turns into a guy like that. In a lot of cases HS QB's are the best athlete on the field, sorta like a Little League SS.

I think he was joking with this post guys. Really none of the things he says make sense so that's the only logical explanation. The argument could be made that we have a better offensive class right now then defensive.

Wasn't joking. The offensive Vs defensive thing probably doesn't add up after crunching the numbers. I'd like to see us pulldown a decent receiver. The amount of QBs we have still kind of baffles me though.
Really none of the things he says make sense so that's the only logical explanation.

I think we have a great staff and they're putting together a great recruiting class. Two quarterbacks does not bother me at all. One of them may never play a down of football. You saw what we had on our hands last Saturday. The top 3 QBs were gimpy. Depth is required to compete. I trust the judgment of our staff.

OK, let's attack and not back it up....

1) Was no one watching when we were down to a RB at QB Saturday? Every, and I mean EVERY time the topic becomes "we are set at this position why are we recruiting here?", a year or two later it becomes "why are we so thin at this position, why can't we recruit here?" Starling is a toss up to even make it to campus and he could play about any position he wants. Turner wouldn't switch....based on what? The next time we have too many QBs will be the first

2) Do you have any idea what the coaches are telling kids during the recruiting process? I can say with 99% certainty they aren't hiding the fact that our WRs will be expected block and do the dirty work to break big plays in the running game. It's probably pretty obvious WRs aren't going to be putting up gawdy numbers in our offense, how many WRs rated at 4 or 5 stars want a piece of that? We do not, in any way shape or form, need 4 and 5 star WRs to when NCs at NU.

3) Whew, a positive

4) based on what exactly? No big star WRs? If you are going on ratings only how can you possibly have a problem with the RB and QB recruiting? You already stated the OL is a positive. We were able to move McNeill to WR because we have talent at TE. Have you noticed how many times Kyler Reed has gotten behind the D and stretched the field.......oh wait, we aren't able to do that.

1) Was no one watching when we were down to a RB at QB Saturday? Every, and I mean EVERY time the topic becomes "we are set at this position why are we recruiting here?", a year or two later it becomes "why are we so thin at this position, why can't we recruit here?" Starling is a toss up to even make it to campus and he could play about any position he wants. Turner wouldn't switch....based on what? The next time we have too many QBs will be the first
We had two dinged up QBs...both of whom were in pads...meaning they could probably play if needed to. We used the wildcat...no so thin we had to resort to RBs taking snaps. We had more QBs ready to go as well. Having an excess of players at other positions makes more sense. LB, OL, DL, RB...injury prone positions. Teams don't typically go through 3 deep QB injuries...
2) Do you have any idea what the coaches are telling kids during the recruiting process? I can say with 99% certainty they aren't hiding the fact that our WRs will be expected block and do the dirty work to break big plays in the running game. It's probably pretty obvious WRs aren't going to be putting up gawdy numbers in our offense, how many WRs rated at 4 or 5 stars want a piece of that? We do not, in any way shape or form, need 4 and 5 star WRs to when NCs at NU.
We rush for a lot of yards...yet our QB throws for 323 and 5 TDs in a game and will only do that more in the future...If Tom Osborne can recruit Irving Fryar our staff can most certainly pull one decently rated receiver
4) based on what exactly? No big star WRs? If you are going on ratings only how can you possibly have a problem with the RB and QB recruiting? You already stated the OL is a positive. We were able to move McNeill to WR because we have talent at TE. Have you noticed how many times Kyler Reed has gotten behind the D and stretched the field.......oh wait, we aren't able to do that.
Already admitted this is probably wrong

We had two dinged up QBs...both of whom were in pads...meaning they could probably play if needed to. We used the wildcat...no so thin we had to resort to RBs taking snaps. We had more QBs ready to go as well. Having an excess of players at other positions makes more sense. LB, OL, DL, RB...injury prone positions. Teams don't typically go through 3 deep QB injuries...
We rush for a lot of yards...yet our QB throws for 323 and 5 TDs in a game and will only do that more in the future...If Tom Osborne can recruit Irving Fryar our staff can most certainly pull one decently rated receiver
Already admitted this is probably wrong

It takes a little more than a guy with pads on listed as QB on the roster.

Irving Fryar, one name in how many years? How many WRs can a non Husker fan, or even a Husker fan for that matter, name from the '94, '95 and '97 CC teams? It doesn't matter, we are recruiting the WRs we need to win in our system, they don't need to be top rated high school prospects. This staff already recruited the talent to throw for 323 and 5 TDs in a game with a RFr QB, I'll think we'll find a way.

1) Why two QBs?
After this year we will have 5 on the roster plus 2 from this class. That's 7 QBs. I don't see Jamal Turner switching positions. I'm guessing the main reason he committed was because the staff told him we'd give him a shot at QB. Now I've heard of being deep but c'mon....
2) It seems like this staff can't land a highly rated receiver. Taariq Allen looks ok, but judging by the quality of the company we're in (Uconn, Tulane, Wisconsin) he's not elite. Taylor could use someone to stretch the field and unload the box so to speak, and just a downfield threat is crucial in just about any offense. We lose Paul and McNeil this year...Will Cody Green switch to TE? Is Jean Baptiste any good? those offers aren't too impressive
3) Good job on the O line recruiting...throwin in some positive here
4) Finally, it seems like Pelini has a much easier time recruiting defense as opposed to offense. BC was criticized for the opposite

I'm thrilled we have a top ten recruiting class. I just saw these few things and thought I'd point them out and see what everyone's thoughts are....I think receiver could be a real problem for the huskers in coming years. Our receivers don't look all that good right now, and I'm concerned helps not on the way...

Okay, I'll play.

1) Why 2 QBs? This one is really simple . . . you don't ever turn down talent like Jamal Turner and Bubba Starling . . . ever. Not only do they have great talent, they are both great kids, understand Husker football, and have solid backgrounds. Both are capable of being stars not only at QB, but at other positions. Plus, there is a chance Starling will never be a Husker as there is going to be eye-popping money on the table for him next year. This one is really a no-brainer.
2) I'm not sure what you are asking . . . Why does NU not recruit highly-rated WRs? I don't care as long as they recruit good WRs.:Biggrin: But I think I get your drift. We have never been a sexy choice for high profile WRs. Even when Callahan was here and we were throwing the ball all over the yard, we still heard recruits say NU is a rushing team. I don't think we are as bad at the position as you might think. I think we have some talent there. We've had people who can stretch the field, but it really doesn't change the dynamics all that much if they can't run routes against quality DBs or hang onto the ball. As for young talent, Enunwa looks to be a good one, I like Kenny Bell and yes, I have been hearing pretty good things of Baptiste (he just needs more time). TE to me is the most critical recruiting need right now. We are going to get old at that position sooner than fans realize. If fans take into account that a team often needs more than one type of TE, the situation looks even more pressing in terms of recruiting.
3) Great job on the O-Line. Agreed.
4) Sure, Pelini will always find it easier to recruit defense than offense. I mean, what defensive player wouldn't want to play for Bo? But he has done a great job getting difference makers on the offense. QB, RB, & OL all look to be in great shape. That leaves WR and TE which we have already discussed. Honestly, the position I think he has done the least well is LB. Of course, Chris Williams was a huge setback as I think he was the one truly great all around LB Pelini has landed. Lavonte David is doing great and will get better but seems to lack the ability to turn ballcarriers East-West and even South when the ballcarrier is traveling North. Dillard had this ability. In fact, it amazes me that people talk how much we miss Suh when it is so obvious how much we miss Dillard. Think about it, our run D this year looks suspiciously like it did last year before Dillard was placed into the starting lineup (even with Suh).

EDIT: One other thing about the QB recruiting. Remember at the time they were recruiting QBs, they weren't sure they were going to end up with a QB in last years' class or not. Turner verballed about the same time as Carnes and Carnes was not a guarantee to qualify. So the coaches had somewhat committed to taking 2 QBs. By the time Carnes was in the bag, the recruiting for Turner and Starling was well under way. And like I said (and others too), you don't turn down that kind of talent.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back