• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thoughts on keeping existing assistant coaches

the fountainhead

Scout Team
10 Year Member
It might not be a bad thing for Coach Rhule to retain a coach or two from the previous staff. Here are the number of assistants retained by our previous coaches:

Devaney - 2 (George Kelly and Cletus Fischer)
Osborne - 8 (including DC Monte Kiffin, Warren Powers, and Cletus Fischer)
Solich - 7 (including DC Charlie McBride)
Callahan - 0
Pelini - 1 (OC Shawn Watson
RIley - 0
Frost - 0

I see a trend. At least it seems better to get some wins in year 1!

It might not be a bad thing for Coach Rhule to retain a coach or two from the previous staff. Here are the number of assistants retained by our previous coaches:

Devaney - 2 (George Kelly and Cletus Fischer)
Osborne - 8 (including DC Monte Kiffin, Warren Powers, and Cletus Fischer)
Solich - 7 (including DC Charlie McBride)
Callahan - 0
Pelini - 1 (OC Shawn Watson
RIley - 0
Frost - 0

I see a trend. At least it seems better to get some wins in year 1!
Well the successful ones who retire and pass onto a new coach has no reason to get rid of the current staff if you're winning titles

Well the successful ones who retire and pass onto a new coach has no reason to get rid of the current staff if you're winning titles
That is true, it was easier to transition from successful predecessors that retired. I think keeping Watson from Callahan's staff did help Bo in his first year with the offense and allowed him to focus on the defense. Also, I was surprised Devaney kept two coaches from Jennings' staff. It could have helped him have immediate success.

It was just an observation - that keeping a coach or two did seem to help the transition, even from failed regimes. Im not advocating in any way.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back