• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ThotDoc's Brain Droppings on the Northern Illinois Game

AM looked much better as the game wore on imo. I believe he regained some confidence that appeared to be lacking in the first 2 games. I don't believe there's anything wrong with AM except over thinking and letting the game come to him like he did much of last season. I'll let all the X and O men comment on that part but the play call that resulted in the safety was ill chosen imo. That shouldn't happen and could be a game changer against better opponents.

Over all this was a much needed performance and showed the team what they can do on both sides of the ball if they limit mistakes. We really needed a confidence booster and we got one.....
He's less of an aggressive runner this year. The one play where there was no one within 30 yards of him and he still wouldn't run. He waited and waited, then finally ran when the whole stadium reminded him he had 30 yards in front of him...
His individual runs on that 2nd and 1, then 3rd and short, then got the 4th down conversion. That could be on the o-line too, but AM doesn't look like he wants to do a lot of running for us. He will need to down the road. And he is definitely off on a lot of his throws and progressions. Hesitant. Last year he was just playing, hard to go wrong when you're losing I guess. Less pressure. Who knows.

He's less of an aggressive runner this year. The one play where there was no one within 30 yards of him and he still wouldn't run. He waited and waited, then finally ran when the whole stadium reminded him he had 30 yards in front of him...
His individual runs on that 2nd and 1, then 3rd and short, then got the 4th down conversion. That could be on the o-line too, but AM doesn't look like he wants to do a lot of running for us. He will need to down the road. And he is definitely off on a lot of his throws and progressions. Hesitant. Last year he was just playing, hard to go wrong when you're losing I guess. Less pressure. Who knows.
Perhaps he's simply doing what he's been told to do? We'll certainly find out over the next 9 games....

Perhaps he's simply doing what he's been told to do? We'll certainly find out over the next 9 games....

I think that's a big part of it too. They are all figuring things out. It's not a knock against him, just an observation. The offense is at it's best when A, Distribution is being made all over the field, see UCF and B) when the defense has great coverage and we can run the QB. There's nothing worse than getting a team in 3rd and long, covering all the receivers, and the QB takes off for 20 yards. Or there's nothing better when we do it.

AM is channeling his inner Zach Lee, or is it Zac? Save for a run or two, he looks nothing like last year. Someone that is unfamiliar with NU, could have watched last night and thought. “Why play your best QB at garbage time?”

Thot Doc
Thank you so much for your insight, right on the money!
One thing though, Scott's offense is by design, a "chunk play" offense. We will never win time of possession for a season, but we will win points scored with this offense. :)
So to expect it to "take time of the clock" like the old run heavy Osborne option game game is setting yourself up to be disappointed in my view.
All the best!

nice collection of game thoughts. will just add how chaotic the dl played. :Clap: what a bunch of trouble

Any indications on how Broc Bando performed? If he could hold his own at tackle, that could significantly improve the o line.

Our run game was simply too much for Northern Illinois. I was pretty comfortable with the outcome early on as the NIU defense was never in control.

I enjoyed the offense run by our backups. Would be nice if our starters figured it out like they did. That was more like what UCF used to run under Frost.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back