• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ThotDoc's Brain Droppings on the Illinois Game

That "contract extension" seems hilarious now........
As the favored son, he will get every opportunity and a full six to seven years to try to get it right. It may take at least that long for Frost to learn what he needs to do different to be a better coach as well. Not to mention, figure out who he needs to jettison from the coaching staff.

HCSF will not get 5 years if keeps losing at this rate. Moos will not survive many performances like this. This is the worst coaching job of any Husker coach in a three year period in 60 years. Fans will stop watching and gear is not selling it all in the closeout racks. This is a huge economic problem. Nebraska looks like the old Kansas of Big 8 and we could not even beat the perennial bottom dweller. This is a train wreck and opens your eyes because the train has left the tracks.

As the favored son, he will get every opportunity and a full six to seven years to try to get it right. It may take at least that long for Frost to learn what he needs to do different to be a better coach as well. Not to mention, figure out who he needs to jettison from the coaching staff.

It's in your wheelhouse...can he?

It's in your wheelhouse...can he?
The jury is still out on that. He's a bright guy so intelligence isn't the issue. He's very creative offensively but his mind seems to get ahead of the talent around him. As I mentioned above, it's too complex at this point for the current QBs. Part of his problem is that he is too loyal to his current staff and he doesn't think enough like the CEO he needs to be. I agree with what I read in another thread that he has too many similar personalities to his own on the staff. It's too laid back from too many people. A good manager or CEO will find a better mix of personalities to get the job done, like Osborne had McBride, Kiffin, Darlington , Tenopir and others. Those were a unique collection of personalities. The key to success for Frost is when he is willing to break up the gang and get some other personalities that can teach as well as light a fire.

Last edited:
@ThotDoc, I am curious to know what you think about what seems to be Frosts, "light a fire" technique. Not being in the know and trying to read into what is being said, Frost recently said he was looking for someone who would bring a spark. He has also said things like the team needs to bring the energy and they should want it. In his last press conference he made the statement, about he would give anything to be on the field again. When NU was dominant in the 90's did the team leaders create the spark or was the coaches doing it back then. Given that Frost was under that leadership it would suggest to me that is what he wants to see from his leaders. During the press conference he said he did not see anything to hint this would happen today, but Luke and Austin both said they were not as focused as they should be in practice this week. So my question was did Osborne, McBride, Kiffin et al... lead the team in want to or was it instilled by the team leaders? And what do you think Frost can do at this point to get that back?

The jury is still out on that. He's a bright guy so intelligence isn't the issue. He's very creative offensively but his mind seems to get ahead of the talent around him. As I mentioned above, it's too complex at this point for the current QBs. Part of his problem is that he is too loyal to his current staff and he doesn't think enough like the CEO he needs to be. I agree with what I read in another thread that he has too many similar personalities to his own on the staff. It's too laid back from too many people. A good manager or CEO will find a better mix of personalities to get the job done, like Osborne had McBride, Kiffin, Darlington , Tenopir and others. Those were a unique collection of personalities. The key to success for Frost is when he is willing to break up the gang and get some other personalities that can teach as well as light a fire.

I hope that assessment is accurate and that he can figure it out. There’s part of me that’s beginning to think that his ‘intelligence’ is preventing him from doing that.

@ThotDoc, I am curious to know what you think about what seems to be Frosts, "light a fire" technique. Not being in the know and trying to read into what is being said, Frost recently said he was looking for someone who would bring a spark. He has also said things like the team needs to bring the energy and they should want it. In his last press conference he made the statement, about he would give anything to be on the field again. When NU was dominant in the 90's did the team leaders create the spark or was the coaches doing it back then. Given that Frost was under that leadership it would suggest to me that is what he wants to see from his leaders. During the press conference he said he did not see anything to hint this would happen today, but Luke and Austin both said they were not as focused as they should be in practice this week. So my question was did Osborne, McBride, Kiffin et al... lead the team in want to or was it instilled by the team leaders? And what do you think Frost can do at this point to get that back?
One thing for certain is that it isn't the 90s anymore. Social media and society in general has changed player reactions and public persona. This may be a grumpy old man talking but it seems that it has led to a more selfish entitled athlete as well. That being said, what worked in the 90s may not work anymore. I believe the coaches back then created an environment where the team leaders were able to keep the team in line. The Unity Council helped facilitate that attitude as well. We have to have coaches that can get in guys faces and guys that can handle it, to promote the team leadership that isn't afraid to get into a guys face as well, and call him out and set things straight. The team has been so fragile psychologically for so long that no one on this team knows what it is like to be a consistent winner. That's why the Illinois game was so important to build confidence and momentum. Frost has to hire the guys around him who will help to promote the process. Frost at least knows what it's like to win where Riley did not. But he needs to shake up the staff and get some different personalities on board.

Last edited:
We have to have coaches that can get in guys faces and guys that can handle it,

I remember Frost saying early on that yelling at players wasn't his (their?) style. If he doesn't want to fine, but I wouldn't mind if his assistants got after them. Remembering a story about McBride that he was hollering at a player to the point that his teeth slipped out, but he finished his rant anyways...lol. He had the "balance" ability of making his point but not deflating the kid.

Osborne and team had the knack to make the kids want to run thru walls for them.

The Unity Council really worked for them. I vaguely remember Frost saying he wanted to bring that back.

Thanks for letting me indulge in a bit of nostalgia, it's the only balm available right now.

I remember Frost saying early on that yelling at players wasn't his (their?) style. If he doesn't want to fine, but I wouldn't mind if his assistants got after them. Remembering a story about McBride that he was hollering at a player to the point that his teeth slipped out, but he finished his rant anyways...lol. He had the "balance" ability of making his point but not deflating the kid.

Osborne and team had the knack to make the kids want to run thru walls for them.

The Unity Council really worked for them. I vaguely remember Frost saying he wanted to bring that back.

Thanks for letting me indulge in a bit of nostalgia, it's the only balm available right now.

Yep, no fear of failure is failing. You need a couple of guys that will bark and still put his arm around the kid later.
I'd like to blame it on this generation of kids, but this generation is successful elsewhere.
They need a motivator after making undisciplined mistakes. Some coaches have a knack for knowing what each kid needs.
We used to have a sports psychologist that had the players envisioning being perfect on a play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back