• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ThotDoc's Brain Droppings on the Colorado Game

turnover ratio -1, L +1
2 good quarters in 8, 1-1
With Iowa and Wisconsin looking pretty good out of the gate, it looks to me contending for the B1G West title is a tall order at this point. I suspect turning this ship around will be a longer term project than I had hoped.
NU being the dark horse to with the West seems to get darker each week. We had better beat No. Illinois, because I don't want to think about what might happen if we don't.

Perfect write-up Doc. I agree with your synopsis that the blame needs to be spread around to coaching and performance by both the offense and defense.

Until these guys learn to play in the moment, and leave script-writing to Hollywood, I fear these kinds of loses are going to continue.

But we just got caught up thinking about what this game means. And the moment turned into an impossible burden to overcome.
I couldn't agree with you more. I also wondered what happened in the locker room at half. Not the halftime adjustments, although that is a mystery also, but what was happening in their heads. The team played tight in the second half. They weren't confident or loose. Whether they would admit it or not, they played like they had extra weight on their shoulders. Even Frost, with his comments about overtime, seemed to be playing "not to lose " versus "playing to win." When that happens, you are right, they are thinking more about what might happen instead of fully embracing the moment. This is a tough mindset to shift but it is absolutely necessary for us to not only get better, but to win more consistently.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with 'gift-wrapped'. We are easily diagnosed at this point. I believe Frost will rebuild the culture and the S&C and recruiting. I believe it will take several years. I think he will grow as a game day coach.

Tucker looked at what we were doing and had an answer. A quick and easy answer. And Frost kept trying things that highlighted and emphasized his schemes and football IQ, rather than get your playmakers the ball.

Tucker saw a weakness on the sidelines and how our safeties were positioned, thus the 2nd down big sidelines gains and the over the top one on one touchdown. Inside running came alive when we had to spread out. Exposed our ILB's.

But most of all Tucker changed his defensive emphasis to getting pressure and forcing us to take what they gave us, which we didn't. He saw how our scheme didn't utilize the TE and all short throws were slow developing 3rd and 4th reads. Easy to defend with a pass rush. Forces AM to quickly read and abort his 1st 2 options and take what space the LB or safety just gave you. That comes from being confident.

AM's 2 fumbles were the difference. I posted before the game that whoever has fumbleitis loses.

We are lacking a desire to take what the defense gives us. Forcing plays. We lack a commitment to a power run game when time of possession, momentum, defensive stamina etc are important.

Frost was successful at UCF for a lot of reasons. I'm friends with a former starting O-lineman and his best friend Blake Bortles I've gotten to meet on more than a few occasions. They have a lot to say about how Frost built UCF. A lot of inside stuff. What he did at UCF worked there. Mostly because the conference is awful and the defensive coordinators aren't usually NFL guys. You can out-coach them. You can out scheme them and have glorified scrimmages most weeks. You don't have to take what the defense gives you most games and can just be you.

Yes Frost beat Auburn. The same Auburn team that beat Alabama. His team had guys playing for their futures. He had something that was tough for Auburn to really want to deal with in a bowl game. But UCF doesn't win against Auburn or much of the SEC on a consistent basis if you have the grueling schedule. They beat you up and force you to change what you're doing every week.

Frost should have seen this last year. He just thought he needed another year like UCF. OK. Maybe. But Colorado was not a good team. They looked great for the time they needed to to beat an average team incapable of change.
I can meet you half way on this. We did not make good in game adjustments. That does not mean we are incapable. Just that we did not in this game. I was thinking the other day that we must script the early parts of games. When the script runs out we start to struggle with developing mid an late game tactics. That is why we are scoring easily early. When the script runos out we start to struggle.

Does anyone know for sure if Scott is calling the plays or whether he is allowing the OC to call them?

Jesus man...
Sometimes you bring some good stuff to the table, and then you turn into that seagull who comes and craps on your ham sandwich. You're better than that.

I don't like seeing repetitive failure.

I can meet you half way on this. We did not make good in game adjustments. That does not mean we are incapable. Just that we did not in this game. I was thinking the other day that we must script the early parts of games. When the script runs out we start to struggle with developing mid an late game tactics. That is why we are scoring easily early. When the script runos out we start to struggle.

Does anyone know for sure if Scott is calling the plays or whether he is allowing the OC to call them?
Fair enough. Our offense goes as AM goes. He and Frost need to get on the same page with how to run this thing. This whole fast fast fast thing isn’t up to speed yet. Those excruciating slow developing plays are being well defended, poorly executed or not part of a good chess match.
Colorado taught us a few lessons Saturday. Hope Frost took lots of notes.

I couldn't agree with you more. I also wondered what happened in the locker room at half. Not the halftime adjustments, although that is a mystery also, but what was happening in their heads. The team played tight in the second half. They weren't confident or loose. Whether they would admit it or not, they played like they had extra weight on their shoulders. Even Frost, with his comments about overtime, seemed to be playing "not to lose " versus "playing to win." When that happens, you are right, they are thinking more about what might happen instead of fully embracing the moment. This is a tough mindset to shift but it is absolutely necessary for us to not only get better, but to win more consistently.
Not seeing the don’t be afraid to fail in action.
Even AM’s running is a little strange. Sort of like I really don’t want to be doing this instead of ha ha you guys want to give me space I’ll make you pay attitude.

I don't like seeing repetitive failure.
I don't like error repeaters either, but what's worse is calling a kid a bonehead when he's literally learning a new position on the fly as a RS freshman. That's pretty classless IMO.

Last edited:

I don't like error repeaters either, but what's worse is calling a kid a bonehead when he's literally learning a new position on the fly as a RS freshman. That's pretty classless IMO.
I give about 0% chance you played organized football without your coach calling you a bonehead at least once. Nobody is perfect and gets corrected if the coach is even mildly adept. And coaches say all sorts of colorful things without it being taken harmful or intentional in such a way to prove malice. And I doubt you've ever coached anyone without saying what's on your mind, good or bad. This is football and playing it involves growing thick skin. And I think it's classless to call someone classless in this case, because it's not exactly calling them a sinister derogatory name. Seriously, if you're going to criticize me at least point out a bigger fallacy.

I give about 0% chance you played organized football without your coach calling you a bonehead at least once. Nobody is perfect and gets corrected if the coach is even mildly adept. And coaches say all sorts of colorful things without it being taken harmful or intentional in such a way to prove malice. And I doubt you've ever coached anyone without saying what's on your mind, good or bad. This is football and playing it involves growing thick skin. And I think it's classless to call someone classless in this case, because it's not exactly calling them a sinister derogatory name. Seriously, if you're going to criticize me at least point out a bigger fallacy.
You are not his coach, and you know nothing about him as a person. Playing a tough guy on the internet calling a teenage kid a bonehead because he had one bad snap is classless and not representative of this fanbase. There's nothing fallacious about that.

="MadRat, post: 4057766, member: 4779"] I give about 0% chance you played organized football without your coach calling you a bonehead at least once. Nobody is perfect and gets corrected if the coach is even mildly adept. And coaches say all sorts of colorful things without it being taken harmful or intentional in such a way to prove malice. And I doubt you've ever coached anyone without saying what's on your mind, good or bad. This is football and playing it involves growing thick skin. And I think it's classless to call someone classless in this case, because it's not exactly calling them a sinister derogatory name. Seriously, if you're going to criticize me at least point out a bigger fallacy.

You are not his coach, and you know nothing about him as a person. Playing a tough guy on the internet calling a teenage kid a bonehead because he had one bad snap is classless and not representative of this fanbase. There's nothing fallacious about that.
Hey guys, let's dial it back and take a breath. I appreciate both of your takes for different reasons, but you are turning the thread into a pissing contest and we are getting further away from the point of this thread. I want and appreciate your input as we discuss the weekly Droppings. I don't even expect you to always agree with me on my take and that's okay too. Put each other on ignore if you wish as I don't think you are going to come to agreement on this topic. Oh, and Go Big Red!!

Last edited:

And oh by the way, I've played and coached High School football for nearly twenty-five years and have been quite successful at it. I just don't go on the internet calling kids names when I don't even know who they are, or how they've been coached.

Hey guys, let's dial it back and take a breath. I appreciate both of your takes for different reasons, but you are turning the thread into a pissing contest and we are getting further away from the point of this thread. I want and appreciate your input as we discuss the weekly Droppings. I don't even expect you to always agree with me on my take and that's okay too. Put each other on ignore if you wish as I don't think you are going to come to agreement on this topic. Oh, and Go Big Red!!
My apologies, Doc. I'm done.

Last edited:

1st half ..... Huskers oxygen mask aid
5-250x250.jpg

2nd half .....
R6RN.gif

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back