• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompsons thumb

I think we’re all drinking the Koolaid, does anyone seriously think Casey Thompson won’t be the starter? Did Joe Ganz have a real chance in 2007? Did anyone besides Tanner Lee have a chance in 2017?
My contention is that it will be Casey Thompson; let’s hope he’s ready.
Yeah I think he's been anointed the starter like it or not. I hope we see a real competition for the job, but I am afraid this is Thompsons job to lose

His job to lose is different than him being anointed, I think. And I don't disagree with you, it is his job to lose right now. He has the most experience. But we'll find out in fall camp.
I hold no doubt that this staff isn't simply handing reins over to anyone whom ain't sitting atop the heap. And I fully believe that should whomever struggle with the position, the next whomever will be tapped for duty.
There is no time for Reindeer Games.

I hold no doubt that this staff isn't simply handing reins over to anyone whom ain't sitting atop the heap. And I fully believe that should whomever struggle with the position, the next whomever will be tapped for duty.
There is no time for Reindeer Games.
It’s like Frost was sleepy from the seven dwarfs and has awoken

Man, knocking a guy with those stats, compared to what we've seen over the past 6 or so years seems silly. As far as the OU game and second half production, at what point in the game did he injure his thumb?

He actually injured it in the first half. Of course, it's easier to play through it if you don't stop playing, keep it loose, and allow the adrenaline to keep you going. Halftime meant he'd be sitting around for an extended period. Likely getting it looked at further and treated.

I haven't posted in forever because most of my opinions have been shared by others, and I don't see the need to duplicate what has already been stated. However, I have had a lot of experience with thumb issues, and let me give you my take.

I am a little older than CT since I remember David Humm. That said, I am in decent shape. Because of my previous ball-playing days, mainly baseball, working on my family's farm, and just poor genetics, I had suffered for years with bone-on-bone arthritis in both thumbs. Last December, I had CMC Arthroplasty on my right hand. They took the trapezium bone out, installed some hardware, and sent me on my way. Well, not really. It was five weeks in 3 different casts and 12 weeks of PT twice a week.

I couldn't even touch my thumb and index finger together when I got out of the cast. On week 4, they tested my grip strength, which was a whopping 15 pounds of pressure compared to my left hand (non-dominant) at 130lbs. At four weeks, I could occasionally touch my little finger, although some days were better than others. At week 6, I could squeeze 35 pounds and pinch 8 pounds. At four weeks, I could pinch 4 lbs, just for reference.

Fast forward to week 12. The final exam got me to 70 pounds of grip strength and 14 pounds of pinch pressure, and I could touch the knuckle at my palm with my thumb.

So all of that to tell you this, his biggest uphill climb is going to be grip strength. He is half my age and has access to PT and trainers 24/7, but it is still an uphill climb when you have a traumatic injury. So, it doesn't surprise me that he threw so few passes in the spring game and is not throwing seven days a week. But I am now just shy of the 6-month mark, and every day my hand is getting stronger, but these things take time.

One final thing, my hand surgeon told me it would be a year before things returned to normal.

I will now return you to your regular broadcast.

I haven't posted in forever because most of my opinions have been shared by others, and I don't see the need to duplicate what has already been stated. However, I have had a lot of experience with thumb issues, and let me give you my take.

I am a little older than CT since I remember David Humm. That said, I am in decent shape. Because of my previous ball-playing days, mainly baseball, working on my family's farm, and just poor genetics, I had suffered for years with bone-on-bone arthritis in both thumbs. Last December, I had CMC Arthroplasty on my right hand. They took the trapezium bone out, installed some hardware, and sent me on my way. Well, not really. It was five weeks in 3 different casts and 12 weeks of PT twice a week.

I couldn't even touch my thumb and index finger together when I got out of the cast. On week 4, they tested my grip strength, which was a whopping 15 pounds of pressure compared to my left hand (non-dominant) at 130lbs. At four weeks, I could occasionally touch my little finger, although some days were better than others. At week 6, I could squeeze 35 pounds and pinch 8 pounds. At four weeks, I could pinch 4 lbs, just for reference.

Fast forward to week 12. The final exam got me to 70 pounds of grip strength and 14 pounds of pinch pressure, and I could touch the knuckle at my palm with my thumb.

So all of that to tell you this, his biggest uphill climb is going to be grip strength. He is half my age and has access to PT and trainers 24/7, but it is still an uphill climb when you have a traumatic injury. So, it doesn't surprise me that he threw so few passes in the spring game and is not throwing seven days a week. But I am now just shy of the 6-month mark, and every day my hand is getting stronger, but these things take time.

One final thing, my hand surgeon told me it would be a year before things returned to normal.

This is why I’m not getting my left thumb fixed. I play a serviceable guitar with it the way it is (bone on bone, a fair amount of pain) I’m afraid I won’t be able to play at all if I get it “fixed”. I

As you probably know, no part of your body has more bones than your hand. And there's nothing we use more than our hands. So if you screw something up, it's a big deal.

In 2015, I had a bicycle accident. Took the fall by putting my hand out to the ground. Big mistake (you should try to fall onto your shoulders, if possible). I displaced my thumb from my hand. Had pins inserted (had to be completely put under for it) to reattach the thumb to the rest of the hand. And then came the physical therapy, which included re-teaching my thumb how to work. The nerves were severed, so my brain and thumb didn't work together for a while and required lots of PT (even something as simple as picking up a utensil on the table). The PT was at a clinic that only worked on hands.

As you mentioned, a big part of PT is getting your grip strength back as close to it once as possible. It never quite got there, but enough to function with most activities and not notice it. However, that thumb is forever less flexible. Most people can touch their thumb to the middle part of the palm on the same hand. I can with my thumb that wasn't injured -- but can't with the injured thumb.

The hand is a very complex part of your body. Injure it bad enough, and you may never have that hand (or thumb) working as well as it once did.

Also -- don't hesitate to post more! :) Not many (including myself) come up with a fresh take. Don't let that stop you. You obviously write well, which already puts you ahead of many. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back