• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompsons thumb

388 yards passing, 5 TD, 0 picks in that game, and we're gonna a criticize his play? I can't even remember the last time an NU qb had a stat line like that against a good team.
Hey genius, read. I said, second half. He did most of that damage in the first half. Lots of 3 and outs in the second half. Also, I’m not bagging on him, just that nothing I’ve seen from him makes me go WOW.

It's also a little bit of hyperbole to say that he didn't do anything in the 2nd half. His production was largely tilted towards the first half and there were a few three and outs in the 2nd. But they still had two scores (FG and a TD pass by CT). They scored almost 50 points. The failure in that game was the defense.
They scored 38 of the 48 in the first half. Say what you want to, but Texas did NOT move the ball in the second half. First half, Texas was brilliant. 2nd half, they failed to answer the call. The QB has to respond and they didn’t. I don’t even remember them getting a first down in the 3rd qtr. it’s not hyperbole. BTW, I never said he sucked either, just that I don’t agree with him being the anointed starter. We’ll see what happens.

I've mentioned this a couple times before ....

Thompson is the only quarterback on our roster with significant playing time. BTW, none of our quarterbacks have played on teams that have "done squat."

The issue as to why experience matters is because Frost is on the hot seat, with a contract structured to release him during or following the season. It may be that Smothers, Purdy, or Haarberg have higher ceilings than Thompson -- but there's also a bunch more unknown with all of them. The staff doesn't have the luxury of looking for a QB to build/develop for the future. Their jobs are on the line. They must win now. So unless Purdy, Smothers, or Haarberg looks clearly better than Thompson, they can't chance it. Granted, if Thompson is still injured in a couple months, they may be forced to go another direction.
Frost should have thought about these things before he decided to ride with ‘sub par’ (have to be careful here with calling them HS coaches, it ruffles their feathers) coaches, and a QB for 4 years that was full of mistakes. He chose that route. He’s lucky he has a job. No where else would he have. I know how you feel about Thompson. Again, I never said he sucks, not once. He doesn’t.

They scored 38 of the 48 in the first half. Say what you want to, but Texas did NOT move the ball in the second half. First half, Texas was brilliant. 2nd half, they failed to answer the call. The QB has to respond and they didn’t. I don’t even remember them getting a first down in the 3rd qtr. it’s not hyperbole. BTW, I never said he sucked either, just that I don’t agree with him being the anointed starter. We’ll see what happens.
The first scoring drive of the 2nd half was in the 3rd quarter. There were three total three and outs in the 2nd half. Three long drives. One resulted in a FG. One faltered in Oklahoma territory and the staff made a decision to go for it on 4th and long and they turned it over on downs. The last resulted in a TD pass by Thompson. If the staff had taken the FG, they would have probably had three scoring drives in the 2nd half. Not great. Not nothing, as you previously stated.

Your initial point that it's premature to label him as the guy this year is correct. He's very likely game one starter but it's far from decided yet. I agree with that.

The battle at backup QB will be interesting Smothers, Haarberg and Purdy could all be worthy ... will be nice to see what they can do with some certified coaching!
Hold on now...are you suggesting an actual QB competition? Why that's crazy talk! Seriously though, they should all be competing with Thompson for the starting job. May the best man win. New offensive scheme, the line should be even.

The first scoring drive of the 2nd half was in the 3rd quarter. There were three total three and outs in the 2nd half. Three long drives. One resulted in a FG. One faltered in Oklahoma territory and the staff made a decision to go for it on 4th and long and they turned it over on downs. The last resulted in a TD pass by Thompson. If the staff had taken the FG, they would have probably had three scoring drives in the 2nd half. Not great. Not nothing, as you previously stated.

Your initial point that it's premature to label him as the guy this year is correct. He's very likely game one starter but it's far from decided yet. I agree with that.
80% of their output was in the first half. I suppose you can spin it however one wants to see it, but whatever. I’ll be shocked if it’s anyone but him come game one, baring injury, but we’ll see.

The media has certainly made it appear that way, but the coaching staff hasn't.
You are correct, as the staff hasn’t said much about anything, but it certainly feels as though it will be Thompson. Probably won’t have any official statement about who it is until the weekend before Northwestern.

Last edited:
Hey genius, read. I said, second half. He did most of that damage in the first half. Lots of 3 and outs in the second half. Also, I’m not bagging on him, just that nothing I’ve seen from him makes me go WOW.

Reread your entire post. You said he didn't anything in the 2nd half (wrong), they had nothing but 3 and outs (wrong), and he didn't step up to make a play. Sounds pretty critical to me.
Your name should be Hyperbole in Oklahoma.

Reread your entire post. You said he didn't anything in the 2nd half (wrong), they had nothing but 3 and outs (wrong), and he didn't step up to make a play. Sounds pretty critical to me.
Your name should be Hyperbole in Oklahoma.
3 of the first 4 times Texas had the ball in the second half, resulted in a 3 and out. 143 yards of offense out of the 588, came in the second half. To suggest he didn’t, or Texas didn’t struggle in the second half, would be incorrect. Like I said, spin it however you want. He was brilliant in the first half, but it’s a 60 minute game.

I think we’re all drinking the Koolaid, does anyone seriously think Casey Thompson won’t be the starter? Did Joe Ganz have a real chance in 2007? Did anyone besides Tanner Lee have a chance in 2017?
My contention is that it will be Casey Thompson; let’s hope he’s ready.

3 of the first 4 times Texas had the ball in the second half, resulted in a 3 and out. 143 yards of offense out of the 588, came in the second half. To suggest he didn’t, or Texas didn’t struggle in the second half, would be incorrect. Like I said, spin it however you want. He was brilliant in the first half, but it’s a 60 minute game.

I'm not spinning anything. I have no idea if he will be good or bad this year. But as usual, you exaggerated something. I don't care when it happened, if a Husker qb had those stats, they would have won a lot more games the last 5 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back