• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompson vs Purdy

Thompson 24 TD passes with 9 Interceptions

Martinez 14 TD passes 10 Interceptions

Fumble turnovers is another stat to look at too
As dumb as this may sound, you need to look at "quality" of turnovers too. Some turnovers aren't the QBs fault (ball bounces off receiver or wrong route run). Other times the turnover is exclusively the QBs fault (wrong read, missed throw, staring down receivers). Other times it is a nature of the play call (50/50 ball, home run shot).

Martinez had a lot of turnovers that were a result of missed throws or trying to make something out of nothing. Instead of throwing the ball away and living for another day, he'd extend plays too long and would fumble or throw a pick (he also sometimes had good things happen). He was better about this decision making last season than in years prior, but still had a number of mistakes in this area.

I haven't watched enough of Thompson to know what his turnovers looked like.

Let the chips fall where they may. I do like Smothers and Haarberg a lot (and Torres) but am glad that Purdy has 4 years of eligibility.

With that being said, who transfers out 1st?
I think Smothers goes … if he falls to #3 or #4 on the depth chart he goes.

I have high hopes for Haarberg … with proper tutoring he could be pretty good IMO.

I see Thompson starting the entire season barring injury or a total meltdown. You may see Smothers thrown in every once in a while as a wrinkle, but very rarely.

IF Thompson does get pulled or hurt, then I think we see some sort of a 2 QB system between Purdy and Smothers.
I doubt you’ll see a lot of gadgetry type plays with Smothers on the field. Whipple has his hands full getting the base offense installed.

Eeh 2 QB system hardly ever works out. What makes you think CP is on the heels of Thompson. I really don care who is QB I just want to see an O that can get it done. Im also in the camp of I dont care how they get it done run or pass wise
We've seen how pass-first works out in the B1G. I'm hoping we don't see more of the same. I also have high hopes for the o-line giving whomever the QB is, time to pass and not having to run for his life.

Thompson will be QB1 and given numerous opportunities to succeed. With that said, Scott's future depends upon who's behind center. You could see panic if things go south early against beatable teams. But I'm convinced it'll take a lot for that to happen.
Just to play devils advocate why would Frost keep CT (not me.. lol) in the game if he's playing poorly? He has very little invested in him and if he fails Frost can call the moving vans. I would hope if CT's play is not really good with very very very few turnovers he gets a seat! I honestly do not believe CT has much leash nor is Frost going to be very patient if he's not getting it done.

I think we need to fix the O-line before we can expect our QB’a to not have happy feet. :thumbsup:
Would also be a big help to establish a robust running game imo. Also believe we need a QB with a quick Blinker to go through their reads and get the ball out of his hands. I always felt there was a lot of indecision on AM's and at times locked in on a receiver. Our QB is probably not going to have a lot of time to stand back there waiting for receivers to clear. Also our receivers need to get some separation from defenders. Watching some CT videos he's certainly not afraid to put passes into some very narrow windows.

Would also be a big help to establish a robust running game imo. Also believe we need a QB with a quick Blinker to go through their reads and get the ball out of his hands. I always felt there was a lot of indecision on AM's and at times locked in on a receiver. Our QB is probably not going to have a lot of time to stand back there waiting for receivers to clear. Also our receivers need to get some separation from defenders. Watching some CT videos he's certainly not afraid to put passes into some very narrow windows.
That’s something I thought when I watched some videos on CT. With AM, he seemed to pass only when someone was relatively wide open. CT threads some needles. That’s a double edged sword since it’s high risk high reward. But if he can pull it off, that could really help get this offense going.

Only way I see both getting significant playing time is if the starter gets hurt at some point during the year (which is something that happens). However, I think the coaching staff will pick a guy and try to ride with them, barring a train wreck.

The list of schools that a two-QB system has failed in is much longer than those where it has been successful. Michigan made it work last year, but most times it causes more issues than benefits. QB is really one of those positions where you need stability.
It surprises me how many fans keep talking about a “2 QB system”. If we learned one thing over the last 4 years it should be that we want one guy, and that’s it. Kids may not like sitting, but the coaches have to be able to show kids why they need to put their team first and not themselves. That will require a skilled head coach, it remains to be seen if Scott can master that tact.

That’s something I thought when I watched some videos on CT. With AM, he seemed to pass only when someone was relatively wide open. CT threads some needles. That’s a double edged sword since it’s high risk high reward. But if he can pull it off, that could really help get this offense going.
One element to a well-thrown pass can be timing as it relates to a defense's sense of release. Throw it before they are ready, and a tight window isnt the risk it appears (seeing the backs of defenders helmets is a QBs friend).
In AMs case, you are spot on with waiting too long, and counterintuitively, waiting until its safe usually isn't.

Last edited:

Thompson looks like he might be a piece of what we'll need if he can read the defenses and hit the open man. Will need the OL to improve and receivers to get open. So much is new it's a crapshoot how it works out, but on paper it looks like it might work.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back