• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thompson vs Purdy

nems

He Who Shall Not Be Named
20 Year Member
It will be very interesting to see how the QB battle plays out over the next 2 years. Given where we are at, one would expect there will be some struggles as the program tries to get on the right footing. QB is a high pressure position at any school, Nebraska is certainly no exception. Thompson has 2 years left and Purdy has 4. Everything you read seems to indicate Purdy is right on Thompson's heels.

While we would all love for Thompson to take the reins and never let go, doesn't it seem likely we see the two of them each getting some significant playing time this year?

It will be very interesting to see how the QB battle plays out over the next 2 years. Given where we are at, one would expect there will be some struggles as the program tries to get on the right footing. QB is a high pressure position at any school, Nebraska is certainly no exception. Thompson has 2 years left and Purdy has 4. Everything you read seems to indicate Purdy is right on Thompson's heels.

While we would all love for Thompson to take the reins and never let go, doesn't it seem likely we see the two of them each getting some significant playing time this year?
Eeh 2 QB system hardly ever works out. What makes you think CP is on the heels of Thompson. I really don care who is QB I just want to see an O that can get it done. Im also in the camp of I dont care how they get it done run or pass wise

Eeh 2 QB system hardly ever works out. What makes you think CP is on the heels of Thompson. I really don care who is QB I just want to see an O that can get it done. Im also in the camp of I dont care how they get it done run or pass wise

I've read the Purdy came to NU with an injury, which set him back for the Spring. However he worked with Frost over the Summer and based upon early practice reports Thompson is the clear #1, but Purdy is right there with him in terms of accuracy and arm strength.

I think so. The biggest concern I have about Thompson is his thumb injury and whether he is truly recovered. If Thompson is healthy, I expect him to start every game.

Purdy, I thought looked pretty good last spring. Thompson didn't look that much better, but the whole thumb issue wasn't acknowledged. So I truly think it is Thompson's job to lose, as he has far, far more experience, and I thought he was a pretty respectable QB and likely an upgrade from 2AM (not to dis 2AM - I think a new location served both schools well).

Long term I think it will be Haarburg & Torres. Although Purdy has a good shot at being a starter down the road. I really expect Haarburg to be the #3 QB this year.

Last edited:
I've read the Purdy came to NU with an injury, which set him back for the Spring. However he worked with Frost over the Summer and based upon early practice reports Thompson is the clear #1, but Purdy is right there with him in terms of accuracy and arm strength.
Like to see them both in games 2 and three

The clear number one should play NW

Also like to see if the QB is struggling then bring in number 2.

I think so. The biggest concern I have about Thompson is his thumb injury and whether he is truly recovered. If Thompson is healthy, I expect him to start every game.

Purdy, I thought looked pretty good last spring. Thompson didn't look that much better, but the whole thumb issue wasn't acknowledged. So I truly think it is Thompson's job to lose, as he has far, far more experience, and I thought he was a pretty respectable QB and likely an upgrade from 2AM (not to dis 2AM - I think a new location served both schools well).

Long term I think it will be Haarburg & Torres. Although Purdy has a good shot at being a starter down the road. I really expect Haarburg to be the #3 QB this year.

Agree on Haarburg. Definitely a redshirt year for Torres.

Nothing I have read seems to indicate Purdy is on his heels. Maybe some coachspeak that says he has a chance to compete. Have you seen anything different?

I have a sense we will need 2 or 3 QBs to play significant time. All teams will. In addition to current and future injuries, Covid will likely be rearing it’s head, requiring players to sit out. Do we know what the current B1G testing and sitting out rules are for this fall?

Nothing I have read seems to indicate Purdy is on his heels. Maybe some coachspeak that says he has a chance to compete. Have you seen anything different?

Most recently was the rivals practice report:

Subscription required I think.

Thumb injuries never go away. You just can’t fix/repair the ligaments back to 100%. The fact that he was limited almost one year to the initial injury is not a good sign.
And a reason he has happy feet

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back