• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This will be a successful season if......?

Majorhavoc

Recruit
2 Year Member
One of the very beginning signs of continued success will be if the entire teams develops an attitude like many of our former teams in the past....that being of.... They are down right OFFENDED at even the thought of losing!

I did a search through all the formerly posted threads and couldn't find one like mine, but my apologies if this duplicates another thread

...We win more than we lose. The sense I get is of a team that's getting ever so much closer to where it wants to be but (for whatever reason) isn't quite there yet.

I can see the possibility of the team taking that step towards greatness this year but I still think they're a year away.

All things considered I'd rather they take their time and get it right as opposed to trying to reach too far too fast.

Last edited:
A "successful" season:

8 wins
No embarrassing blowout losses
Visible improvement on offense AND defense AND special teams
Visible improvement on OLine and DLine
No crisis or scandal involving players or coaches
People start to talk about us being on the same level with Wisc, Iowa, NW
We're at least in the running for division championship
Good showing in a nice bowl

Less than all that would be disappointing
More than that would be GREAT!

I'll set the bar for successful season fairly low:

Bowl eligibility.

I can talk myself into a MUCH more successful season than that, but we have to consider we are rising from near rock bottom. SF knew this was a multiyear rebuilding process (7-yr contract).

Two 4-8 seasons. You could see the progress last year, but the players on this team still found a myriad of ways to lose. So 6 wins will make this a successful year. Anything less would be quite disappointing.

we need and above average year as far as healthy players go... especially at qb, if we get that, I think we see 8-9 wins.

I want a return to the Osborne standards of excellence:
  1. Win at least 9 games.
  2. Lose no more than 3 games.
  3. No losses to any team with a losing record.
  4. No blowout losses.
  5. Dominate those teams that are picked to lose by more than a TD.
  6. Excellent execution in all phases of the game.
  7. Dominate the 4th quarter.
  8. Establish a reputation for a program based on discipline, honesty, and hard work.
  9. Start to rebuild the O-line and D-line into the strengths of the team.
  10. Hit harder than your opponent, and never quit.
It doesn't all need to happen in one year, and some of it can't happen in one year, but I want to see us moving in that direction in all phases by the end of the season. Potential for injuries and lack of depth at crucial positions make everything a wildcard as far as predicting wins and losses.

Last edited:
I want a return to the Osborne standards of excellence:
  1. Win at least 9 games.
  2. Lose no more than 3 games.
  3. No losses to any team with a losing record.
  4. No blowout losses.
  5. Dominate those teams that are picked to lose by more than a TD.
  6. Excellent execution in all phases of the game.
  7. Dominate the 4th quarter.
  8. Establish a reputation for a program based on discipline, honesty, and hard work.
  9. Start to rebuild the O-line and D-line into the strengths of the team.
  10. Hit harder than your opponent, and never quit.
It doesn't all need to happen in one year, and some of it can't happen in one year, but I want to see us moving in that direction in all phases by the end of the season. Potential for injuries and lack of depth at crucial positions make everything a wildcard as far as predicting wins and losses.

I love all those things, but I'm not sure how physical a team is REALLY allowed to be in CFB anymore. If you're too violent, you'll get flagged.

Bowl eligibility to me. I am not sold on the O Line yet. Spring game left me with a bit of an uneasy feeling. Will only know when fall comes around but if the spring game is our RB crew that isn't good. I have high hopes but we will see.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back