• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This team is flawed.

I go back and forth on this. This year is ugly and Hoiberg is a huge part of that. Nebraska has never been good at basketball, so I lean towards keeping Fred for a couple more seasons as at least he gets the talent in recruiting. Now it has to gel on the floor and we need more than one McGowens - 5 star player - to do that. I don't see any big name coach wanting to come here if we run Hoiberg off.
This is actually a really untalented team.

That Northwestern game was hard to watch. Earlier in the season, I was inclined to think he needed another year to build on the recruiting class and that we'd see some progress late in the year. But now I'm seeing a team that doesn't compete, and indications are that Bryce McGowens will leave. (Why would he stay?!)

Even trying to be sympathetic to Hoiberg, I can't point to anything that he can build on as a foundation from what the team is doing right now. Trev Alberts is in a tricky situation here, and Moos' mistakes with contracts are costing dearly.

The contrast with the football team is pretty stark. As frustrating as the season was, Frost had that team ready to compete and play hard every down, even with the team goals were no longer in reach. They showed up ready to take on top 10 teams and often looked like the better team. This basketball team looks like they don't know how to compete.

I appreciate the guys that are out there trying, but the only way I see this team winning any more games is if they get on a hot rush with shooting and simply overwhelm an opponent, hitting a percentage from 3 that no one can counter. But that's not a reproducible strategy. If you're the less talented team out there, you can give yourself a chance to win a game by outworking the opponent on the boards and on defense. The Husker squad takes the court and plays a style that would make more sense if THEY were the more talented team, but they never are.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back