• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This team has turned the corner

We also lost our best outside linebacker, our starting center and guard, an inside linebacker, and our top 3 safeties. And I'm not sure if any of the replacements are better than the ones we lost ( with the possible exception of D. Williams) You can't discount that.

With that said, I never proclaimed that we would only experience a one win improvement over last year. My post was addressing the 10-2 and even 12-0 predictions. I just think we need to pump the brakes a little bit . I don't think what I'm saying is unreasonable.
We also get a QB in year 2 who should be immensely better just based on the experience. We return 3 starters on the O-Line, starter at TE, 2 starters at WR, a very good and deep D-Line, maybe the best ILB in the conference and with more talent at CB then we've had since the days of Pelini.

This is college football. Roster turnover is inevitable and absolute.

This year has nothing to do with what we've lost or returned in talent and everything to do with getting on the same page and being a team and striving to be the best possible versions of themselves.

Once again come on man. That was before the season started. Texas A&M played Clemson, Alabama, and LSU. Tennessee played Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. After the season we did not have a top 20 schedule let alone number one. Don’t prop up an argument with preseason stuff that doesn’t pan out. With the exception of Northwestern, most of our opponents underperformed to expectations. Other than Ohio State and Michigan which of our opponents ended up ranked? Depending on the poll Northwestern and Iowa were outliers. That’s not a number one schedule in the country.
True. Reality always bubbles to the top.

no but it was reasonably a top ten schedule. Mich and OSU by themself made it fairly high ranked. Ofr the record Purdue outperformed their expectations so did northwestern
We will have to agree to disagree. It wasn’t the hardest in the country and as the season played out, it was nowhere near as tough as it looked this time last year. Northwestern MIGHT have played over expectations but they had 5 losses, 3 out of conference. Last we saw of Purdue they were getting slapped by 50 by Auburn. Michigan was getting drilled by Florida. Colorado was losing 7 straight, and Michigan State couldn’t move the ball on a high school team. After the season played out I believe I saw the strength of schedule around 24. I think we’re going to have a fine season this year but let’s not exaggerate the supposed gauntlet we ran through last year.

We also get a QB in year 2 who should be immensely better just based on the experience. We return 3 starters on the O-Line, starter at TE, 2 starters at WR, a very good and deep D-Line, maybe the best ILB in the conference and with more talent at CB then we've had since the days of Pelini.

This is college football. Roster turnover is inevitable and absolute.

This year has nothing to do with what we've lost or returned in talent and everything to do with getting on the same page and being a team and striving to be the best possible versions of themselves.
I'm guessing we are going to have at least another month of these discussions as some people are more comfortable arguing what we lost where others are more comfortable arguing what they think we have. I personally don't think losing a bunch of guys from a train wreck 4-8 season is all that bad. And I'm not saying they were bad kids but I think they had grown up in so many Nebraska systems and poor cultures that sometimes they just need purged.

To me everything is pretty crystal clear. Itt was clear to me under Mike Riley and right there in front of our eyes to see. MR didn't talk like SF and wasn't doing anything that appeared to be development. SF has told us exactly what we could all see. He came in and said the culture was bad, guys were out of shape, and they needed to learn how to win. He said it would be a struggle the first year but watch out in the second. From everything I am hearing and reading the culture is much improved, the S&C is greatly improved and so is the depth. SF knew turning over some of these players was the key. I still expect some growing pains this year trying to be a consistent top 10 team however it would surprise me if we didn't crack the top 15 at some point this year.

Beginning of last season we were right the with Michigan at #1 and #2.
I hate to keep beating a dead horse but so what? That schedule didn’t finish up top five in the nation and that’s all that matters. Our schedule was nothing near as hard as we thought it was at the beginning of the season.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse but so what? That schedule didn’t finish up top five in the nation and that’s all that matters. Our schedule was nothing near as hard as we thought it was at the beginning of the season.
You just aren't hearing me. I understand it didn't end up top 5. But what matters is that we aren't playing Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa all on the road. That instantly makes a world of difference

You just aren't hearing me. I understand it didn't end up top 5. But what matters is that we aren't playing Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa all on the road. That instantly makes a world of difference
That I agree with. I was arguing the point that a previous poster said it was the hardest schedule in the nation

As long as we only turn two corners we will be fine, more than that we slowly end up where we started.

Hey I like hearing your counter points to why you think we have questions and holes to fill. I'm not asking you to raise your predictions and I'm happy to debate. Just don't tell me I have to pump the brakes. We are all entitled to our opinions. Happy to let you argue away that opinion though.
Why are you following me around when I'm not even responding to you? It's kind of creepy. I made a general statement about pumping the brakes...which was my opinion, which happens to be something you said I'm entitled to. Is someone looking for attention today?? :nod:

People are getting fired up about my comments, which is comical to me because my general outlook for this team isn't much different than yours. Where we probably differ the most is I tend to use my eyes and not my ears when it comes to preseason hype. I simply feel this team is a year away from really making a move on the national stage as we still have to address some serious depth concerns on this team.

Last edited:
Why are you following me around when I'm not even responding to you? It's kind of creepy. I made a general statement about pumping the brakes...which was my opinion, which happens to be something you said I'm entitled to. Is someone looking for attention today?? :nod:

People are getting fired up about my comments, which is comical to me because my general outlook for this team isn't much different than yours. Where we probably differ the most is I tend to use my eyes and not my ears when it comes to preseason hype. I simply feel this team is a year away from really making a move on the national stage as we still have to address some serious depth concerns on this team.
For what its worth......I'm not following you around. Didn't know your comments and responses in an open forum were private for someone else. Nobody is making it personnel. They are simply discussing how their outlook might be different than someone else's. Nobody knows right now and nobody is insisting on being right. This is a discussion board though and the flavor of the week......or preseason seems to be centered around have we taken a big step forward or a small one or none at all. You delved into the conversation like the rest of us thus soliciting responses.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back