• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This team has turned the corner

Not only that but over four years we've been 6-7, 9-4, 4-8, and 4-8. The 9 win team was the outlier and was demolished by almost everyone with a pulse. I think some folks still see the 4-8 record as an outlier but until we can string together a couple of good seasons, that's actually the recent norm. IMO, folks should slow down on the 10 and 11 win talk. That's a heck of a jump from where we've been. An 8-4 type of season would be a tremendous improvement.

We could have easily been 8-4 last year if a fee more things fell into place. This years team appears to be much improved on both sides of the ball.

When Coach Frost says he has had to talk to the team two days in a row about throttling it back in practice, combined with his comments about being a joy to coach this team and everyone being happy to be there, the signs are all there that this team has gelled fully around this staff and scheme and they are all working in unison toward the same goal. They have learned how to strength train, they have learned how to properly fuel their bodies, they have embraced the culture, they have now learned how they need to practice consistently to be winners. If the team stays healthy, especially A.M, I would not be surprised to see them with zero to max of 2 losses for the regular season, which is amazing considering our past 2 seasons. The future is bright and I think the Big 10 is going to be put on notice that there is a new Sheriff in town, and he's a bit Frosty...
I do agree with your assessment that the team seems to have turned the corner in terms of culture. It seems that the team is on board with Frost's plan (with the possible exception of the recent "extracurricular activities"). However, they just don't have the physical experience or "muscle memory", if you will, of winning at a high level. I think the "want to" is there, but the actual results haven't been realized yet. We certainly don't have the depth of a championship level team.

On the other hand, this is certainly NOT a 4-8 team. The way they finished 2018, I imagine they were the best 4-8 team in history. Keep in mind that the teams that finished with losing records 3 out of the last 4 years, had basically the same talent levels as the teams that won 9 or more games under Pelini in 2011-2014.

So, to make a long post just a little bit longer, things are not as bad as the Debbie Downers are saying, but it's not as great as the Kool-aid drinkers are saying either.

We could have easily been 8-4 last year if a fee more things fell into place. This years team appears to be much improved on both sides of the ball.
Most fans of losing teams say the same thing. Sure, the Huskers could have, but they didn't. They also won a game against Bethune Cookman.The games the Huskers lost easily could have been worse defeats, too. Some of the coaching decisions, turnovers, etc...were maddening. But facts are facts. There is no evidence yet, in training camp, that leads me to believe the Huskers are "much improved". It's all speculation at this point. We would like to think that being a year into both offense and defensive schemes should be better. I'm going to reserve judgement until the huskers actually play some of the B1G teams. Let's see how we do against them first before proclaiming "much improvement",

As Bill Parcells always said, "You are what your record says you are."

And I'm a firm believer in that. There are REASONS they lost those games folks think they should have won. NU was a 4-8 team last year. Period.

"Appears" is a scary word. Before last season started, our team was lifting a billion pounds and were so much bigger, stronger and faster....and the kids were buying in, and they were so improved...etc. Then we lost the first six games of the season.

As I stated, get through the first 4 games. We will have a better feel for how improved they are.

There are a lot of reasons we were 4-8 last year and most of them are gone. We have had the talent over the last 4 years to be a .700 team but instead we were losers. That culture and development are gone. Some fans are looking past last 4 years and some are hanging on to it. Nobody is wrong......I'm just expressing where I'm at on it.

There are a lot of reasons we were 4-8 last year and most of them are gone. We have had the talent over the last 4 years to be a .700 team but instead we were losers. That culture and development are gone. Some fans are looking past last 4 years and some are hanging on to it. Nobody is wrong......I'm just expressing where I'm at on it.
Imo...development under Frost's staff is still something we dont really know about.

I think we will have a good season, certainly much better than the last two. We've been trying to turn the corner for 15+ years though. Hopefully it actually happens this season or soon thereafter.

We were 4-2 after the pre-season last year. I don't know what you guys are talking about.
:Koolaid2:

Imo...development under Frost's staff is still something we dont really know about.
I disagree that we don't really know anything. There are some key things that we do know.
1. He has a history of being able to develop talent. It is a short history but a very successful one at that.
2. He has publicly recognized the status of our past development so we KNOW what he is trying to do.
3. All reports from anyone close to the S&C situation have acknowledged the development that has taken place.
4. The overall confidence projected by the players is their comfort level has greatly increased.

Now I agree at this point much of some of this is subjective not withstanding 1 and 2. Those are proven. What we don't know is what the results of this development and the timetable for it will be in the short term.

I disagree that we don't really know anything. There are some key things that we do know.
1. He has a history of being able to develop talent. It is a short history but a very successful one at that.
2. He has publicly recognized the status of our past development so we KNOW what he is trying to do.
3. All reports from anyone close to the S&C situation have acknowledged the development that has taken place.
4. The overall confidence projected by the players is their comfort level has greatly increased.

Now I agree at this point much of some of this is subjective not withstanding 1 and 2. Those are proven. What we don't know is what the results of this development and the timetable for it will be in the short term.
I disagree, Scott's staff does not have a long history of developing an entire football feam. They had the talent in place (for that conference) at UCF when they took over. They simply needed the right quarterback for the job and a serious attitude adjustment. Coming to NU...and Scott has even admitted it, that this entire program needed an overhaul...and that starts with bringing in the right players. Next step is developing them for B1G play. In my honest opinion, that is a big TBD.

Not trying to be a downer...I'm just trying to look at this objectively, sans the rose colored glasses.

Last edited:

No longitudinal data for sure, but placing all those UCF guys in The League was no small thing at the end of the 2017 season. We also know that Scott develops QB's...his track record in that regard is well established.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back