• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This is a great article by Shatel

HuskerGene

A work in progress
10 Year Member

This is an impossible task he laid out but it certainly makes you think about the past history of Husker football. I really do agree with the one writer saying the 1978 Oklahoma game was the best ever played in Memorial Stadium. Comments?

1. 1971 Game of the century
2. 1994 orange bowl against Miami, (against all odds)
3. 1978 Oklahoma game (monkey off our back) and the absolute effort our boys displayed
4. Probably the gutsiest game I’ve ever seen Nebraska play: 1994 game against Kansas state (Matt Turman game)
5a. 1997 Tennessee bowl game. Against Peyton Manning (arguably the greatest qb in history
5b. 1995 game against Florida.

Last edited:

This is an impossible task he laid out but it certainly makes you think about the past history of Husker football. I really do agree with the one writer saying the 1978 Oklahoma game was the best ever played in Memorial Stadium. Comments?

Nice article. I will put down my 5 most important games I have seen in person.

TCU 1976 Nebraska won 64-10. It was the first game I ever saw live. I was 10 years old.
UCLA 1983 Nebraska won 42-10. I took my girlfriend at the time. This was significant because that was the game that Rozier ran 100 yards to score on a 3 yard play.
Oklahoma 2001 Nebraska wins 20-10. Black Flash 41 Reverse. That is the loudest I had ever heard the stadium.
Colorado 2008 Nebraska wins 40-31. I am at the game with my older brother. Alex Henery lines up and kicks a 57 yarder for the win.
BYU 2016 Nebraska loses 28-33 on a Hail Mary pass. I took my son in law to that game.

I could list out about 10 more games that I remember very vividly.

Last edited:
Where you there for the Michigan state game (coach Riley ....I’m not going to check the year). I have gone to over 200 husker games (easily) and that was the biggest party I have ever been a part of. The crowd danced and hugged each other For 20 minutes after the game ... it was unprecedented. There’s been louder games but this was the biggest party. “Since we are off track of the original premise.”

Last edited:

Where you there for the Michigan state game (coach Riley ....I’m not going to check the year). I have gone to over 200 husker games (easily) and that was the biggest party I have ever been a part of. The crowd danced and hugged each other For 20 minutes after the game ... it was unprecedented. There’s been louder games but this was the biggest party. “Since we are off track of the original premise.”
I was at that game; that was awesome!

I like a lot of the games on the lists that people have provided, but there are two that stand out that aren't being mentioned much.

1998 Orange Bowl vs Tennessee, Tom Osborne's last game. There probably wasn't another coach in the country that could have followed Devaney the way Osborne did. He took what the Bobfather created and elevated it to another level. His final game, for another national championship, capped a magnificent run that set a new standard for excellence in the sport.

2003 Colorado, Solich's final game. The Huskers had stumbled a bit under Solich, but he was following back-to-back legends. Nebraska had rebounded to have a pretty good season in 2003, but a decision was made to tear down 40+ years of tradition. Nebraska hasn't lost fewer than 4 games in a season since that ill-advised fateful decision.

Last edited:
I like a lot of the games on the lists that people have provided, but there are two that stand out that aren't being mentioned much.

1998 Orange Bowl vs Tennessee, Tom Osborne's last game. There probably wasn't another coach in the country that could have followed Devaney the way Osborne did. He took what the Bobfather created and elevated it to another level. His final game, for another national championship, capped a magnificent run that set a new standard for excellence in the sport.

2003 Colorado, Solich's final game. The Huskers had stumbled a bit under Solich, but he was following back-to-back legends. Nebraska had rebounded to have a pretty good season in 2003, but a decision was made to tear down 40+ years of tradition. Nebraska hasn't lost fewer than 4 games in a season since that ill-advised fateful decision.
I did I did. I got the year wrong but ......I mentioned the Tennessee ncg

Last edited:

I didn’t even watch the game live I was at a dodge ball tournament in town. My 7th grade son’s team won. I was dvring it. My older son text me that they won before we got home at about 10:30. I stayed up and watched the whole thing.

Following the premise of the article I'll take an uneducated shot at this:

1971 OU game...The game that announced our arrival to the big time.
1983 Orange Bowl...We are on the cusp, but we play to win, no ties!
1994 Orange Bowl...Many demons are laid to rest and a Dynasty begins.
2001 CU game...Either the end of greatness or the beginning of the great decline.
2011 PSU game...The prayer game. A very moving and telling story of what we are all about!

Nice article but just a sign of the times: filler for the 3 whole pages of sports in the OWH.

And the OWH has the nerve of increasing the subscription fee 50% for less coverage! And no MLB box scores!

Last edited:

All the games listed by the six (Tom Shatel, Kent Pavelka, Mike Babcock, Lee Barfknecht, Eric Olson & Chuck Sinclair ) are listed at the link below. Eighteen games in all.

I understand the premise is that the five games "tell the story" of Husker football. It's not the five top games. Still, I'm surprised the Game of the Century wasn't on everyone's list.

I did I did. I got the year wrong but ......I mentioned the Tennessee ncg
It was the 97 season but played in 98. I was living in Knoxville at the time and traveled to Miami for the game. It was awesome coming back home to Tennessee with the Nebraska win. One of my most satisfying ever for obvious reasons. That was a damn good Tennessee team that we dominated.

It was the 97 season but played in 98. I was living in Knoxville at the time and traveled to Miami for the game. It was awesome coming back home to Tennessee with the Nebraska win. One of my most satisfying ever for obvious reasons. That was a damn good Tennessee team that we dominated.

Good times indeed Nash!

We moved back to Tennessee in 97 & watched that game at my in-laws. Brother in law was a first cousin to Tennessee legend Pat Head Summit & I remember my wife’s oldest sister asking ‘why is Nebraska so darn good?’ :Biggrin:

Would be nice to see those days again ...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back