• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This guy "got it" about last season and the possible impact of Casey Thompson.

In the bigger picture yes.

I think AM is a great person and will go far in life, but with that being said he wasn't a clutch player 95% of the time. Sometimes a QB has to put the team on his back and will his team to victory. That may not be fair, but that is just the way it is. Adrian Martinez never did that. It wasn't for lack of effort. I just think the moment was too big for him.
At times, I believe he tried too hard.

That guy's intro was too much. I had to stop it at that point.

But I will say, last season has very little to translate to this season. The starters and coaching staff are much different. If we were carrying over most/all of the same coaches and starters, then I think you could possibly make that comparison. New offensive schemes, Frost in a different role, etc. The 2022 Huskers are as different from the year prior as we've ever seen in Lincoln. Might be better, might not. But a large percentage of those players and coaches involved in last season are gone.

Anyhow, if that's the point pretty boy is trying to make, I disagree. If we are better in 2022, it won't be because of what happened in 2021. We aren't building off last season -- we mostly blew it up.
I'd rather look at him, Jayson Tatum and Steph Curry any day than looking at SVP!

I didn’t say anything about wins or fumbles or interceptions. Give me one example of a running back providing more than Adrian Martinez did in the run game? Say what you want about Martinez he was our most explosive offensive weapon. Who would you nominate for that role? Maybe if he would’ve had some support surrounding him like an offensive line or a go to running back he would not have had to be responsible for whether this team lived or died. He had his flaws but to deny he was our biggest and almost only running threat is just being ignorant. If I’m not mistaken Nebraska generated 5300 yards or so last year and Martinez was responsible for 3300 of those yards or about 63% of every yard gained.
A lot of truth in what he says.

I ADMIRE A. Martinez as a man! I do, agree that many times, he tried too hard! How many of us would throw quickly, if we had 350 behemoth linemen 1 1/2 foot away from us. coming at us like a BN or UP train??????????

One of the big reasons he ran so often and racked up so many yards was that it took him forever to find a receiver; he ended up having to run. Whose fault that was I don't know (looking at replays receivers were coming open but not fully open when he held onto the ball), but an OL can only hold out defenses so long, and ours wasn't a particuarly good OL. He never had the knack of throwing receivers open which many or even most P5 teams have.

I thought the coaching he got from the QB coach was invisible to the ordinary fan, of whom I count myself one. Whatever it was didn't teach him to learn to throw the receivers open.

One of the big reasons he ran so often and racked up so many yards was that it took him forever to find a receiver; he ended up having to run. Whose fault that was I don't know (looking at replays receivers were coming open but not fully open when he held onto the ball), but an OL can only hold out defenses so long, and ours wasn't a particuarly good OL. He never had the knack of throwing receivers open which many or even most P5 teams have.

I thought the coaching he got from the QB coach was invisible to the ordinary fan, of whom I count myself one. Whatever it was didn't teach him to learn to throw the receivers open.

I'm still not convinced that any of our QBs improved dramatically under Verduzco. Development seemed to be minimal at best....Hoping that changes under Whipple.

I'm still not convinced that any of our QBs improved dramatically under Verduzco. Development seemed to be minimal at best....Hoping that changes under Whipple.
Agree 100%. Unfortunately also true with the O-line (other than 51), and the RB's. TE's have probably shown the most improvement of any offensive position group, IMO.

Last edited:
Martinez played his worst games last year against our most beatable conference opponents (outside of Northwestern who we could have likely trounced with anyone at QB):

Illinois - 16/32 - 50%,
Minnesota - 18/33 - 54.5% (after a god-awful first half)
Purdue - 14/29 - 48.3% 2TD's/4 INT's

3 winnable games, 3 awful games from our QB. And that isn't even going into critical mistakes in other close games.

Yes, we can all talk about Martinez's big play ability, etc., etc., but many of the problems he had he MADE for himself. Slow reads, wrong reads, not finding open receivers, running too soon, running too late.

He's a great kid and all of that, but Thompson will be a huge upgrade over him
Good post. AM is a good QB and a better person but he was atrocious in "crunch time." (If I am not mistaken, he was like 0fer on last second drives where the team could of took the lead late) in his 4 years. I am probably forgetting one or 2 that he did lead a comeback but the stat is pathetic is what I remember. So onto your post. Per bolded, Thompson isn't the runner that AM is/was which, in a funny way, could benefit him, as he will have to "throw 1st, run last". I.e., imo, this means he will go through multiple reads and only run if absolute last option, whereas AM ran if his 1st read was covered, as, again imo, he rarely went through multiple reads, though he did on rare occasion.

All I know is I am feeling great about this year, in kind of the view that either we win a bunch to keep Frost & Co around or we implode again and he is gone. If nothing else, at least we will know the direction we are going after this year.

Fwiw, I am hoping that the team really gets it going and Frost & Co stick around for a while. I like the changes we have made, albeit only on paper and not actual results.........yet.

I have to disagree on AM versus CT on which has a higher ceiling. CT tossed 24 TDS with 9 INTS which is significantly better than any season by AM. We can argue receivers, scheme, OL and blah blah blah but the bottom line if CT has a season like that we're going to win a lot more games than 3 imo. I believe CT has a valid shot at the NFL at QB where baring a miracle season from AM that's not going to happen imo.

We'll get a good comparison of both when the seasons over for KSU and the Huskers.
Never going to happen for AM at QB.....maybe ala Frost and at another position but not at QB.

Martinez kept us in most of the games we played close. His ability to avoid pressure in the pocket is some of the best I've seen. The OL was atrocious and he still found ways to make plays. Sucks that he couldn't figure out the fumbling problem but all in all I was pleased with how he played last year compared to the rest of the offense. As for Thompson, he's just as fast as Martinez and has a quick first step, and has several highlights of avoiding pressure and making throws downfield so hopefully, there's no drop-off there. We shall see
Exactly but then, when it came down to crunch time and leading the team to a late W, he usually (85%?) of the time choked it away with an INT, fumble, bad passes on 4th down, scrambling and not getting the 1st/TD, etc.

I liked AM and his attitude and how he presented himself while at Nebraska but he is the worse "crunch-time" QB I have ever seen play at Nebraska. Yeah, there might be a 1 year starter out there that wasn't too good but, for 4 years, he never (or very, very seldom) lead a 4th quarter comeback, though, again, I am sure there are a couple times (out of 40 games, 39 as a starter) that he did, I just can't recall.

Good post. AM is a good QB and a better person but he was atrocious in "crunch time." (If I am not mistaken, he was like 0fer on last second drives where the team could of took the lead late) in his 4 years. I am probably forgetting one or 2 that he did lead a comeback but the stat is pathetic is what I remember. So onto your post. Per bolded, Thompson isn't the runner that AM is/was which, in a funny way, could benefit him, as he will have to "throw 1st, run last". I.e., imo, this means he will go through multiple reads and only run if absolute last option, whereas AM ran if his 1st read was covered, as, again imo, he rarely went through multiple reads, though he did on rare occasion.

All I know is I am feeling great about this year, in kind of the view that either we win a bunch to keep Frost & Co around or we implode again and he is gone. If nothing else, at least we will know the direction we are going after this year.

Fwiw, I am hoping that the team really gets it going and Frost & Co stick around for a while. I like the changes we have made, albeit only on paper and not actual results.........yet.

If we can put together a line to give him the time to make those reads! Our line may have "trained" AM to get a little anxious since they left him running for his life for most of his years here.

If we can put together a line to give him the time to make those reads! Our line may have "trained" AM to get a little anxious since they left him running for his life for most of his years here.
Per bolded, really good point.......As with all football teams at most levels, it starts with the line (O & D).

Exactly but then, when it came down to crunch time and leading the team to a late W, he usually (85%?) of the time choked it away with an INT, fumble, bad passes on 4th down, scrambling and not getting the 1st/TD, etc.

I liked AM and his attitude and how he presented himself while at Nebraska but he is the worse "crunch-time" QB I have ever seen play at Nebraska. Yeah, there might be a 1 year starter out there that wasn't too good but, for 4 years, he never (or very, very seldom) lead a 4th quarter comeback, though, again, I am sure there are a couple times (out of 40 games, 39 as a starter) that he did, I just can't recall.
That would be a good trivia question. What game or games did Martinez, with the game on the line, with the clock winding down in the waning minutes of the 4th quarter, put together a game winning drive?

In 2020, he did score the winning TD against Rutgers to win 28-21. But when he scored, there was still almost 10 minutes left in the game. i guess that kind of counts, maybe?

In 2019, we scored 15 in the 4th quarter to beat Illinois 42-38.

2019 Northwestern, we kicked a field goal in the closing seconds to win 13-10.

2018 Mich State we kick three field goals in the fourth quarter to win 9-6.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back