• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This guy "got it" about last season and the possible impact of Casey Thompson.

Martinez played his worst games last year against our most beatable conference opponents (outside of Northwestern who we could have likely trounced with anyone at QB):

Illinois - 16/32 - 50%,
Minnesota - 18/33 - 54.5% (after a god-awful first half)
Purdue - 14/29 - 48.3% 2TD's/4 INT's

3 winnable games, 3 awful games from our QB. And that isn't even going into critical mistakes in other close games.

Yes, we can all talk about Martinez's big play ability, etc., etc., but many of the problems he had he MADE for himself. Slow reads, wrong reads, not finding open receivers, running too soon, running too late.

He's a great kid and all of that, but Thompson will be a huge upgrade over him

This, this is very true and very telling.

Playing down to your competition could mean pulling games out isnt a strong point

AM was not the the only problem on this team over the last 4 years, but he was the most visible one. He did have some pretty bad games against teams that he should not have struggled against. That is not to take away anything from Minnesota or Purdue last year they were solid teams, but they weren't to be feared. Illinois was not good. AM and the team as a whole played poorly.

AM was not the the only problem on this team over the last 4 years, but he was the most visible one. He did have some pretty bad games against teams that he should not have struggled against. That is not to take away anything from Minnesota or Purdue last year they were solid teams, but they weren't to be feared. Illinois was not good. AM and the team as a whole played poorly.
Definitely seemed to let up for Illinois

The inability to establish a LOS, a running back run game, and QB protection were all bigger issues than AM's play.

I didn’t say anything about wins or fumbles or interceptions. Give me one example of a running back providing more than Adrian Martinez did in the run game? Say what you want about Martinez he was our most explosive offensive weapon. Who would you nominate for that role? Maybe if he would’ve had some support surrounding him like an offensive line or a go to running back he would not have had to be responsible for whether this team lived or died. He had his flaws but to deny he was our biggest and almost only running threat is just being ignorant. If I’m not mistaken Nebraska generated 5300 yards or so last year and Martinez was responsible for 3300 of those yards or about 63% of every yard gained.

Martinez kept us in most of the games we played close. His ability to avoid pressure in the pocket is some of the best I've seen. The OL was atrocious and he still found ways to make plays. Sucks that he couldn't figure out the fumbling problem but all in all I was pleased with how he played last year compared to the rest of the offense. As for Thompson, he's just as fast as Martinez and has a quick first step, and has several highlights of avoiding pressure and making throws downfield so hopefully, there's no drop-off there. We shall see

He had a reluctance to “take” the easy read (check down pass) and a preference to try to make things happen on his own, and he had some success at it. Whipple’s pupils will more often take the check down.
And likely better preparedness at wide out and RB as well, with scheme taking advantage to slow/change the D

The inability to establish a LOS, a running back run game, and QB protection were all bigger issues than AM's play.

In the bigger picture yes.

I think AM is a great person and will go far in life, but with that being said he wasn't a clutch player 95% of the time. Sometimes a QB has to put the team on his back and will his team to victory. That may not be fair, but that is just the way it is. Adrian Martinez never did that. It wasn't for lack of effort. I just think the moment was too big for him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back