• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thinking of moving back

SemperHusker

Practice Squad
2 Year Member
To Nebraska after over 40 years due to a family tragedy. We're thinking of getting a couple of acres close to Lincoln and having a house built, but I don't know much about the area (other than property is extremely hard to find!). Any thoughts on "good" vs "bad" areas to consider?

To Nebraska after over 40 years due to a family tragedy. We're thinking of getting a couple of acres close to Lincoln and having a house built, but I don't know much about the area (other than property is extremely hard to find!). Any thoughts on "good" vs "bad" areas to consider?
Awesome, welcome back to God's country, sorry it has to be for a bad reason. I live in Fremont but if you look near Wahoo, there are a bunch of acre lots having houses built on them. That is north of Lincoln, if you go south of Lincoln I know a few people near Hickman and those small towns. Good luck.

If you need an agent the guy that owns the 'N' zone in the haymarket is also a real estate agent and a good guy, both he and his wife. I can get a contact number for them if you wish, just let me know.

If you don't mind being a little ways out from Lincoln, there is land available to purchase at an affordable price in a few areas. As you get closer to Lincoln, land prices soar, at least in comparison. There are several acreages Southwest of Lincoln in the corridor towards Denton, NE. I live in Palmyra, NE which is 15 minutes from the Southeast edge of Lincoln. there is a development of acreages being currently built south of Palmyra not too far off of Highway 66A.

I am sorry for your family situation but think its cool you are considering coming back. Where do you live now? Hope you can acclimate to the winter. That's the ONLY bad part of Nebraska. And property taxes. But good living and nice folks.

I am sorry for your family situation but think its cool you are considering coming back. Where do you live now? Hope you can acclimate to the winter. That's the ONLY bad part of Nebraska. And property taxes. But good living and nice folks.
Currently in NC but not a stranger to cold weather (except what you had this last winter). Finding land in NE is harder than I thought it'd be - stuff seems to disappear as soon as it hits the market.
We looked (over the internet anyway) at some land in both the Denton and Palmyra areas - it was gone quick!

Currently in NC but not a stranger to cold weather (except what you had this last winter). Finding land in NE is harder than I thought it'd be - stuff seems to disappear as soon as it hits the market.
We looked (over the internet anyway) at some land in both the Denton and Palmyra areas - it was gone quick!

Do it. I moved back a little over a year ago after my dad died to be here for my mom. We had been gone since 1984. My wife and I both grew up here and have lots of family here so we haven't regretted it for even a second.

My sister lives south of Council Bluffs in Iowa (basically Omaha) and I see tons of land out there getting developed with houses on acreages. It's a little farther out but maybe something of interest. As 84 said, one drawback to buying in Nebraska is property taxes. The unicameral is supposedly trying to address that but it remains to be seen if they will provide any relief.

I grew up in Nebraska, graduated college and then tested and was licensed as an engineer in the state. I moved out of state and design and develop large projects around the country and manage an engineering team. I work remote and considered moving back to Nebraska about 7 or 8 years ago. Unfortunately, Nebraska engineering board developed a bunch of protectionist practices that I would guess were aimed at keeping out of state engineers off of projects and would not renew my engineering license.

I couldn't take that chance of a job change leaving me without the ability to make a living, so I live in one of the 14 states I am licensed or would consider one of the other 25 or 30 that will grant me reciprocity.

My brother just moved back to Lincoln last June after moving away in 1974. He spent the last 30 years living in Houston as a mid level executive for different oil pipelines. They decided to move because they really didn't have any family in the area. They have 2 kids, one in Boulder and one in Philadelphia.

Anyway they built a house in south east Lincoln. It is just south of Hwy 2. Not an acreage just a lot in a newer housing development. They seem to like it.

Awesome, welcome back to God's country, sorry it has to be for a bad reason. I live in Fremont but if you look near Wahoo, there are a bunch of acre lots having houses built on them. That is north of Lincoln, if you go south of Lincoln I know a few people near Hickman and those small towns. Good luck.

If you need an agent the guy that owns the 'N' zone in the haymarket is also a real estate agent and a good guy, both he and his wife. I can get a contact number for them if you wish, just let me know.
Thanks! We have an agent we're working with who has sent us several properties, unfortunately the ones we were interested in were gone quick. Hopefully one will come up and stick around long enough for us to come take a look at.
Do it. I moved back a little over a year ago after my dad died to be here for my mom. We had been gone since 1984. My wife and I both grew up here and have lots of family here so we haven't regretted it for even a second.

My sister lives south of Council Bluffs in Iowa (basically Omaha) and I see tons of land out there getting developed with houses on acreages. It's a little farther out but maybe something of interest. As 84 said, one drawback to buying in Nebraska is property taxes. The unicameral is supposedly trying to address that but it remains to be seen if they will provide any relief.
Sorry to hear about you dad and I hope you and your family are doing as well as you can. I've heard the taxes are high. I don't like taking a financial hit but as I'm sure you can appreciate, bank accounts don't always get to be the center of attention. We really need to be relatively close to Lincoln.

I grew up in Iowa, I don't remember property taxes being substantially better in Iowa. Better, but not by much.

A lot of it depends on how close to Lincoln you want to be. Once you get about 40-45 minutes away form Lincoln, the prices drop substantially and the availability goes up. My wife and I started out in Lincoln (met at UNL) but then wanted to move to a smaller community after we started our family. We looked in towns all around Lincoln (Seward, HIckman, Milford, Ashland, etc.) and everything was still really expensive. It wasn't until we got at far as Beatrice that the price of housing dropped. We had a house we liked in Lincoln but couldn't quite afford it. We found the exact same house in Beatrice for literally half the price. We had no ties to Beatrice, but it has been a nice community for our family. Big enough to have most ammenities (restaurants, entertainment) but smaller community. We have family in Lincoln so we are there all the time and it is an easy drive (4-lane highway all the way).

Now if that is too far away for you, some of the other communities mentioned like Denton, HIckman, Syracuse, Wahoo are also nice towns. Land is just a little harder to come by in those areas as many people are looking to do the same thing and stay close to Lincoln but get slightly cheaper housing. I would suggest contacting a realtor in the county that you are interested in, most likely Lancaster, and they can point you to some available land as new developments keep popping up all over surrounding Lincoln.

We live on the Northwest side of Lincoln, the small town of Malcolm is doing well, there are acreages available but the acreage market is hot right now. PM me if you want to chat about Lincoln in general.

When working in Lincoln my roommate and I looked into moving to Valparaiso. It’s about a 30-minute drive away, so not sure if it’s close enough for you, but we really liked that little town.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back