• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Rouge Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

peder

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
In the CFL, there's a concept of the rouge point. If you kickoff into the endzone and the runner does not leave the endzone (e.g. taking a touchback), the kicking team is award 1 point. The same applies to missed field goals that go out of bounds; the opposing team didn't return the ball out of the endzone, so it results in the kicking team getting a point. The points are common in the CFL, and though they make a mess of figuring out if you need to go for two or not, teams don't generally overthink the rouge point up there.

The following clip from 2010 shows a more wild rouge-point scenario:
[video=youtube;d5BFaykcxGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg[/video]

I kinda like the rule. I think it would benefit teams like Nebraska that place an emphasis on the kicking game, specifically touchbacks.

And, wouldn't you know it, if we had had the rouge point, we might have beaten Texas in the 2009 Big XII Championship Game

As you are all aware, Texas drove on us in the final two minutes to kick a field goal and win the game, 13-12.

Both teams kicked the ball well, as they were a combined 6-6 on field goals. If either team had missed a field goal, it could have meant rouge points. Since there weren't any, it makes this scenario a little simpler.

The difference comes in kickoffs. Texas must not have had a long kicker that year; they had no touchbacks all game. But Nebraska picked up 2. There was also a Zac Lee pass picked off in the endzone that Texas didn't return, for a total of 3 touchbacks in the game, or 3 rouge points against Texas.

Instead of trailing at halftime 7-6, the Huskers would have led 9-7. And most importantly, instead of leading 12-10 with a minute, we would have led 15-10. Texas would have been unable to simply kick a field goal to win; they'd have to drive the length of the field against Suh and the Blackshirts. I'm going to go ahead and give say that they don't make it all that far, and Colt McCoy and the Longhorns turn the ball over on downs, and Zac Lee takes a knee to clinch the win.

Nebraska 15, Texas 10

Q1Q2Q3Q4Final
Texas073010
Nebraska810615

<tbody>
</tbody>

Game box score:
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewContent.dbml?CONTENT_ID=101202&DB_OEM_ID=10410

(yeah, I'm over the game, I just really like the rule and wouldn't mind seeing it work its way south)

Huskers WIN, HUSKERs WIN.

(even after typing it I'm not excited.)

Interesting rules, news to me. Thanks.

Along those lines, I've always thought that a kickoff through the goalposts should be worth a point.

Along those lines, I've always thought that a kickoff through the goalposts should be worth a point.

Me too....one has no idea how hard it is to actually kick it through the posts...that definitely deserves some credit, since they're gonna either bring it out to the 20 or down it in the end zone, might as well try to get some points out of it (the way the rules are going in terms of kick off collisions and wedges and all).

Black uni's, Canadian football rules. Next we will let women play. What is this world coming too?

:Biggrin:

The Rouge Point would certainly make things interesting, however, most stadiums would have to be rebuilt to acommodate the extra room in the endzones.

Photo Deleted

I stand corrected. I hope it is a long count.:Biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, and if FG's or TD's were worth 4 points we would've won too! The NCAA rules committee has it in for Pelini, they stink!

Assuming the scores occurred the same, making FGs worth 4 points would have only resulted in a tie, since Texas had 3 FGs of their own.

But nonetheless, I'm not trying to change the past here. There's a change management approach called ADKAR:
- Awareness
- Desire
- Knowledge
- Ability
- Reinforcement

I provided everyone here with Awareness and Desire to implement the Rouge, so if we can just follow through on the remaining 3 letters of ADKAR, we'll get the NCAA to change the rule :)

Last edited:
Canadian football is highly entertaining and a great way to get your football fix in June July and August

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back