• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Rich Get Richer - Martinez Gets Deodorant Endorsement - Alabama QB gets $1 Million in Endorsements

The argument about coaches is not a strawman. You are conflating experience with value. In the entertainment business, it doesn't matter if you have 30 years of experience or 1 year. The relevant question is do you draw eyeballs? And star players, especially QBs, draw eyeballs.

I see it said over and over again that a star QB is nothing without the Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St. or Nebraska. People follow the school not the player. No, people follow programs that win and winning takes elite players.

For the most part, the NCAA operates much like a cartel. The cost of labor has been fixed at the cost of attendance, when it's clear the market clearing price is much higher. The 'Bama QB getting 7 figures in endorsement deals tells you everything you need to know about the market for elite QBs.

This was all inevitable the minute college football starting signing TV contracts, which shifted the sport from amateur athletic contest to show business.
We'll just have to disagree on the coaches versus athletes as a strawman. Arguing that players are mistreated because coaches are paid high salaries is to dismiss the value that the coach creates for the athlete. It is not conflating value and experience. I'm also not arguing athletes shouldn't profit off NIL. I'm mostly pointing out there is a huge opportunity for exploitation and a college athlete might end up with a big payday before ever playing a down because it assuages the ego of a big money booster rather than anything to do with the actual NIL value of the athlete. That's what separates it from the NIL opportunities in professional sports.

Last edited:

We'll just have to disagree on the coaches versus athletes as a strawman. Arguing that players are mistreated because coaches are paid high salaries is to dismiss the value that the coach creates for the athlete. It is not conflating value and experience. I'm also not arguing athletes shouldn't profit off NIL. I'm mostly pointing out there is a huge opportunity for exploitation and a college athlete might end up with a big payday before ever playing a down because it assuages the ego of a big money booster rather than anything to do with the actual NIL value of the athlete. That's what separates it from the NIL opportunities in professional sports.
I’m pretty certain most businesses operate with certain people in charge making way more than the employees. Of course someone will argue that the players are more valuable than a regular employee. I don’t think they are. I think you could replace them all and people would still watch. We already do replace them every three to four years.

I’m pretty certain most businesses operate with certain people in charge making way more than the employees. Of course someone will argue that the players are more valuable than a regular employee. I don’t think they are. I think you could replace them all and people would still watch. We already do replace them every three to four years.
Yeah, Alabama without the newest hot shot QB will keep chugging along. Alabama with the hot shot QB but no Saban is far less certain to maintain their success. Saban's value far exceeds any player. Same for any reasonably successful coach.

Jealous much? Who cares what these kids get. Stop acting like you wouldn’t cash the check.
Most of these kids are going to college and playing football trying to keep their dreams alive of getting to the NFL. Most wont. They were given a education just in case they needed it. Now with million dollar deals unless its part of the deal that they stay in class..,then a kid with that kind of money has to wonder why he needs the education at all

I'm gettin paid already$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A "business" is a horrible analogue. Most businesses function in a free market (with some regulation and friction) and a profit motive.

NCAA football teams have no owners or shareholders and for a vast majority of programs, the goal is to finance non-revenue sports without having to charge student fees or otherwise take money from the academic side of the ledger.

If you insist on making the comparison, then imagine if all e-commerce companies banded together and agreed that everyone in the C-suite gets 7 figures plus and the salary of all the rank-and-file is capped at room, board and some night classes at the local community college. It wouldn't fly.

A better comparison is the NFL in which the players get ~ 50% of revenues.

Yeah, Alabama without the newest hot shot QB will keep chugging along. Alabama with the hot shot QB but no Saban is far less certain to maintain their success. Saban's value far exceeds any player. Same for any reasonably successful coach.
If the hot-shot QB consistently goes to Florida and whoops Alabama, the Alabama coach isn't going to last long.

Fortunately for the Crimson Tide, Saban is the best recruiter in the history of the game, so that doesn't happen. And yes, status quo, Saban is worth more than the players.

I think you could replace them all and people would still watch. We already do replace them every three to four years.

Either you are playing devil's advocate or you haven't thought about it much. We replace them because there are eligibility rules, and the replacements are also elite players.

The nature of the college football (and sport in general) is competition. If your school isn't competing at the level fans expect, heads roll. Nebraska is practically a case study.

The supply of elite players is also very limited. A school that "replaces" its current roster with a bunch of good (but not elite) players has a place in this world. It's called Division 3 and very few people watch.

Either you are playing devil's advocate or you haven't thought about it much. We replace them because there are eligibility rules, and the replacements are also elite players.

The nature of the college football (and sport in general) is competition. If your school isn't competing at the level fans expect, heads roll. Nebraska is practically a case study.

The supply of elite players is also very limited. A school that "replaces" its current roster with a bunch of good (but not elite) players has a place in this world. It's called Division 3 and very few people watch.
I don’t disagree with any of that. I’m playing devil’s advocate a little bit. Trying to get conversations going. I have always believed the players deserve a piece of the pie. I do believe college football has become a business. Unfortunately that business seems to make only a small group of people more money, coaches/athletic directors. The NFL is a good comparison thst I agree with. Maybe college players will get their own union. I really was trying to get people to ask themselves if they watch for the players or the universities. I think it’s a bit of both. I wonder though could these players get people to watch if the universities already didn’t have the built in interest. Good conversation all the way around. I don’t think you or I can solve it but hopefully it all works out.

A high school b ball player has signed and agent says he will make "millions in endorsements." See Other Teams thread

If the hot-shot QB consistently goes to Florida and whoops Alabama, the Alabama coach isn't going to last long.

Fortunately for the Crimson Tide, Saban is the best recruiter in the history of the game, so that doesn't happen. And yes, status quo, Saban is worth more than the players.
And he’s signed through what, 2028?

Whether Martinez has a fantastic year or not he will be back next year because the NIL will be an even greater bonus If he doesn’t get drafted by the NFL

Whether Martinez has a fantastic year or not he will be back next year because the NIL will be an even greater bonus If he doesn’t get drafted by the NFL

Depends on how he does this season on the field. He definitely could be back but they might also “mutually” part ways. You never know in this crazy world of college football.

Depends on how he does this season on the field. He definitely could be back but they might also “mutually” part ways. You never know in this crazy world of college football.
If he's not drafted and HCSF wants him back my take is he will return.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back