• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Official HuskerMax Car Thread

Found some friends the other day.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2016-05-19 001 001.jpg
    2016-05-19 001 001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 149
Are you complete with everything yet or still tweaking here and there? I suppose you'll never stop tinkering, but she looks good man.

Are you complete with everything yet or still tweaking here and there? I suppose you'll never stop tinkering, but she looks good man.

Pretty much done. The replacement of a bad module in the distributor cap fixed the fuel injection problem. She has been running error free for almost a month now. New leaf springs have helped the handling quite a bit. Starting to upgrade the light bulbs to LED.
Replaced the broken door lock grommets and have a repo rearview mirror coming (the one with the day/night tab) My windshield leaks but that is only a problem if I get caught in the rain. I was going to wait until I had it repainted but might have that work done sooner to stop any hidden rust problems that might cause.

Next week we are going to put 500 miles on it in one day and if that goes okay Colorado here we come in late June. With the EFI running good it is almost like a new car. Starts right up, everything is powered now; windows, locks, brakes, steering, modern radio with USB and iPod. I have a Tom-Tom so navigation is taken care of.

So far so good.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2016-05-28 001 001.jpg
    2016-05-28 001 001.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 2016-05-28 001 003.jpg
    2016-05-28 001 003.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 130
Pretty much done. The replacement of a bad module in the distributor cap fixed the fuel injection problem. She has been running error free for almost a month now. New leaf springs have helped the handling quite a bit. Starting to upgrade the light bulbs to LED.
Replaced the broken door lock grommets and have a repo rearview mirror coming (the one with the day/night tab) My windshield leaks but that is only a problem if I get caught in the rain. I was going to wait until I had it repainted but might have that work done sooner to stop any hidden rust problems that might cause.

Next week we are going to put 500 miles on it in one day and if that goes okay Colorado here we come in late June. With the EFI running good it is almost like a new car. Starts right up, everything is powered now; windows, locks, brakes, steering, modern radio with USB and iPod. I have a Tom-Tom so navigation is taken care of.

So far so good.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Awesome. Sounds like you've got her really purring.

If/when I ever get the time, I'll be doing the same with a '65 or '66 Chevelle. As it is, I can't keep up with the house and the modern vehicles and machines I've got with all the hours I work. Your modernization is one of the considerations I've still be arguing with myself about. Part of me wants to stick to original or at least '60's era technology, the other part of me wants to make it a modern take on a mid '60's muscle car. With the limited availability of some of the OEM type parts, modern might be cheaper and quicker....not to mention the 'starts right up' component.

Enjoy the roadie out to Colorado.

Thanks Crab. I've tried to have a foot in both worlds. The car had air conditioning and we kept the original shell of the a/c and put the new a/c behind the glove box. The radio which is am/fm stereo/usb fits in the original holes and looks like the old radio. We kept the original window cranks in the doors and just added power to them. They don't crank; just lift up to raise the window and touch down to lower the window. Power door locks were available back in the day. Power steering and power brakes; front disc. The 289 came out of a '65 Ranchero and the engine could easily have been put in this car as it was assembled in Dec of 1965 in San Jose. The EFI is modern but a quick glance won't reveal it. The instruments are new but hide behind the original panel front.

Still having a hard time getting the lifters tuned. When running she is pumping oil at about 60lbs of pressure so the mechanic is trying to build a damn in an old valve cover to allow him to tune while the engine is running. Next week I will give it a 400 mile run and if all goes well we will be go for Colorado.

This has been a ball and I have learned a lot.

I have also decided to replace the rubber gasket around the windshield. I figure there is no way I can miss rain by being in Colorado for a week in June. I might even see snow.

Last edited:

Thanks Crab. I've tried to have a foot in both worlds. The car had air conditioning and we kept the original shell of the a/c and put the new a/c behind the glove box. The radio which is am/fm stereo/usb fits in the original holes and looks like the old radio. We kept the original window cranks in the doors and just added power to them. They don't crank; just lift up to raise the window and touch down to lower the window. Power door locks were available back in the day. Power steering and power brakes; front disc. The 289 came out of a '65 Ranchero and the engine could easily have been put in this car as it was assembled in Dec of 1965 in San Jose. The EFI is modern but a quick glance won't reveal it. The instruments are new but hide behind the original panel front.

Still having a hard time getting the lifters tuned. When running she is pumping oil at about 60lbs of pressure so the mechanic is trying to build a damn in an old valve cover to allow him to tune while the engine is running. Next week I will give it a 400 mile run and if all goes well we will be go for Colorado.

This has been a ball and I have learned a lot.

I have also decided to replace the rubber gasket around the windshield. I figure there is no way I can miss rain by being in Colorado for a week in June. I might even see snow.

I like that approach. I mean if you're going to spend the time and money to re-create, why not have the extras? I like the window crank idea as a power window operator. Nice touch. Hope you get the oil pressure issue figured out. Good luck on the first long distance run.

I think I'd enjoy it just as much and even though I've done the bulk of my mechanical work through the years, I'm sure I'd still learn as I went.

Good thinking. Yeah I lived there for 30 years and June is hit and miss. Might not get a drop all month or it might rain every afternoon (typical pattern). Snow.....maybe. It snowed in Parker (SE of Denver) on my youngest sons 4th or 5th birthday party on June 11th. Enjoy it either way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back