• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The narrowing path to six wins and a bowl game

I'm less and less optimistic. I never would have believed that a year-two Frost offense would struggle to score 7 points in a game against anyone. But here we are--they've struggled to score all year. The defense that was forced to save a couple games is also now regressing. The wheels seem to be falling off the 2019 team across multiple areas.

This o-line is maybe the worst we've ever had. Opposing defensive players and coaches must literally laugh at watching the film and gameplanning. It's embarrassing and unacceptable.

i don’t see it. We’d have to beat two teams that are much better than anybody we’ve beat so far. I honestly don’t think we win again.

Not sure we can hope for a bowl next year either unless we start to see signs of life mentally these last 5 games.

Next year is along ways away, but as of right now, we’d only win two games, central michigan and rutgers.

Last edited:

Indiana's O-coordinator is better than NU's. Not sure their talent, but he can coach. Indiana is a must win but their OC won't lose the game for them and he would love nothing more than to beat NU (a little inside knowledge here) :)

i don’t see it. We’d have to beat two teams that are much better than anybody we’ve beat so far. I honestly don’t think we win again.

Not sure we can hope for a bowl next year either unless we start to see signs of life mentally these last 5 games.

Next year is along ways away, but as of right now, we’d only win two games, central michigan and rutgers.
If you were right we go from a start of 2018 of 0-6 to a finish of 4-2. That would mean this year we start 4-2 and finish 0-6. How would that be for a slap in the face?

I don’t see one win left you can say definitively. There really isn’t. Right now, today, Indiana is better than NU. Maryland is the lone possible gimme, and they could put a knot on NU’s head also on the road. Unless this team does a 180, I don’t see another win. The team has played crap football all year except the first half against Colorado and the second half against Illinois. Somewhere mike Riley is smiling. Remember all the things Frost said when he got here?

There are no “definite” wins and there weren’t any when we started this season. This is 2019, not the 1990’s. All the games on the schedule are presumptive losses until we take the field and rip victory from the other team.

We do have potential to rip 2 more wins, maybe more from this schedule. But to do that, this team must take advantage of this bye week to refocus and increase its intensity and desire to win. It isn’t going to happen with 75% intensity.

Maybe HCSF should go more away from the offense he ran at UCF and more towards what T.O. ran [and what he did as QB for a NC]? Or a combination of both, at least until he gets to the point where all the players on the team are ones he recruited!

Massey still has us going 1-4 the rest of the way; we need to pick up a win somewhere that Massey does not predict us to get. We have a bye week to hopefully get some of the offensive key guys healthy. Not sure what we can do on defense, our guys take bad angles, don't stay in their assignments, and try to 'tackle' by bumping guys with a shoulder instead of wrapping up (sometimes a guy will do all of these bad things on the same play). Get guys like Garrett Nelson in there; he may be inexperienced and make mistakes...but, he'll make those mistakes flying around at 100% max effort.

I'm less and less optimistic. I never would have believed that a year-two Frost offense would struggle to score 7 points in a game against anyone. But here we are--they've struggled to score all year. The defense that was forced to save a couple games is also now regressing. The wheels seem to be falling off the 2019 team across multiple areas.

I don't know our defense has regressed so much as it was exposed for what it's always been.

As I said yesterday, our defense looked competent -- when playing garbage offenses. Northern Illinois 97th, Illinois 103rd, South Alabama 119th, Northwestern 126th -- total offense national rankings. That will make the vast majority of defenses look no less than adequate. Unfortunately, our defense won't face an offense as poor as these four the rest of the season.

Massey still has us going 1-4 the rest of the way; we need to pick up a win somewhere that Massey does not predict us to get. We have a bye week to hopefully get some of the offensive key guys healthy. Not sure what we can do on defense, our guys take bad angles, don't stay in their assignments, and try to 'tackle' by bumping guys with a shoulder instead of wrapping up (sometimes a guy will do all of these bad things on the same play). Get guys like Garrett Nelson in there; he may be inexperienced and make mistakes...but, he'll make those mistakes flying around at 100% max effort.

I was thinking that the Indiana game will dictate whether or not we get to six wins. And at 57% probability of winning, that's a very narrow margin. Indiana is fully capable of putting 30+ points up on Nebraska, so we may very well need an offense that is clicking better than it has all season to beat them.

IU, PU, and Maryland are probably better than any team we beat, and worse than OSU and Minnesota. If each of those three is 50-50, we have a chance. Sadly, Wisconsin and Iowa would be gigantic upsets, and MSU last year is the only recent upset.
To me, a bowl game is a huge need if the Huskers are going to be good again.

Indiana's O-coordinator is better than NU's. Not sure their talent, but he can coach. Indiana is a must win but their OC won't lose the game for them and he would love nothing more than to beat NU (a little inside knowledge here) :)

I’m assuming his desire to crush us stems from his South Dakota background?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back