• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The most unlikely staff member

If the current trend continues I don’t think HCR keeps Raiola. Has Raiola ever recruited anyone? HCR is hiring experienced recruiter to date. It is strange that he is one of the last on the previous staff. The OL started to look a smidge better at the EOY but still was the weakest position group on the team.
No doubt the O line was not good but got better to me the problem was not Raiola, but with the OC not in tune and lack of development prior to Raiola getting here. O line is one place that has no quick fixes

No doubt the O line was not good but got better to me the problem was not Raiola, but with the OC not in tune and lack of development prior to Raiola getting here. O line is one place that has no quick fixes

Time to hit the portal hard. Good starting talent in the portal.

Hope Rhule knows what he's doing. I don't think I can watch another year of abysmal line play . . . especially tackles that don't even move much less lay a hand on a defender as often as they have.

Rhule and OC better be pretty deep in the work themselves to straighten that group out.

I sure hope it's because Rhule thinks he's a great coach and not someone else giving incorrect advice in that keeping him on the staff gives us a chance to flip his nephew (not happening)

Edit: so this was already discussed in another thread(s). The link in home page sent me to page 8 of this thread.

Last edited:
Puzzling, but Raiola obviously escapes the taint of the previous staff and its record. All I can deduce is that Rhule (likely through other NFL contacts) received some good feedback on DR. Or, MR is satisfied with what DR told him about progress, future, etc. on the line. We forget that Teddy and Nouri were out all year - and we seem to have some lineman playing out of position. But there was "some" ever so slight improvement towards the end of the year.

Rhule has measurable for each position - so it will be interesting who moves where on the O-line next year. If someone is at tackle that means they measure up to the physical parameters Rhule requires out of tackles (or at least is closest to it if no one on the roster is there yet) - guard, center, etc...

We all knew Whipple was not going to stay - the others (except Busch) are to much a part of the previous regime. I think Mickey was going to get a long look before that couple hours of bad decisions put his immediate future in doubt. But I wouldn't have guessed Raiola would be the one retained (I didn't think any would be retained).

Last edited:

DR was only hired to land his five-star QB son but SF botched that on his visit. SF should’ve taken a left turn in Albuquerque not Margaritaville. So, it’s surprising to hear he’ll be retained.

well so much for the shocking news from last week, completely replaced by this news.

Couple of things maybe have something to do with this maybe not, Don"s roommate at Wiscy was a dude last name of Leonard they were co captains together. We already know who his brother and nephew is. No.2 Ruhle is an experienced OL Coach maybe he sees something in Raiola as Coach that he feels with some hands on mentoring would be much improved,or maybe he just wanted to give these message boards something to bitch about.

The Coaching fraternity in the NFL is pretty small. Coach Rhule undoubtedly knew DR before taking the job, if not personally at least by reputation. The decision to retain DR speaks to Donovan's acumen and potential. HCMR has coached both O and D lines, one can assume he knows what he is looking for.

Too bad the decision runs against the narrative.

And BTW it's nephews not nephew. There is Dylan's little brother Dayton, also a QB (2026), who holds an offer. Some may remember the Raiola family all visited last month.

Last edited:
Couple of things maybe have something to do with this maybe not, Don"s roommate at Wiscy was a dude last name of Leonard they were co captains together. We already know who his brother and nephew is. No.2 Ruhle is an experienced OL Coach maybe he sees something in Raiola as Coach that he feels with some hands on mentoring would be much improved,or maybe he just wanted to give these message boards something to bitch about.

YARN | That's a hell of a coincidence, isn't it? | Dallas Buyers Club  (2013) | Video gifs by quotes | eac2ab4f | 紗

C

This is reasonable. It's not necessarily Raiola's fault.

But Rhule had the money to go after any of dozens of proven producers at the position and good reason to wipe the slate clean for what has clearly been our program's greatest weakness of late. Choosing to keep Raiola is a huge statement.

Rhule obviously knows vastly more about football than I do, so I can't actually judge this. But I can judge results.

I'm normally one to want to give coaches time to get things going and also to avoid putting down markers, so I'm surprised to be saying this, but if Nebraska's O-line isn't among the top in the B1G in PERFORMANCE, not potential, during the 2024 season, I will be bitterly disappointed.

Yes that's fast, but with the portal it should be fast if he makes it a priority.

There's no part of our current diaster that makes me angrier than under-performance by the O-line. Even if it's partly due to scheme.

I'm sick of this crap.

I won't be listening to any excuses by then with respect to cupboard being bare, youth, unfortunate injuries, learn the system, quarterback's fault, scheme's fault, etc. Not with the portal.

That also means if the line takes 2 years to "gel", he better have all the talent and depth he's going to need on the field already at the start of NEXT season so they have time.

So Raiola better be a great coach who transforms the talent we have and also be LOOOVED by potential transfers and recruits.

Putting it another way, I won't ever support Rhule firing Raiola unless we're already solidly contending for our division (or something like 9 win seasons) consistently. If we're not winning like that and Rhule thinks Raiola is part of the problem I'll want Trev Alberts to fire Raiola instead, right after he fires Rhule.

And if that happens, Albert's next coach had better START with the O-line and fix it or I'll want Alberts gone next.

I'm sick of this crap. Did I say that already?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back