• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The most unlikely staff member

Hard to imagine Raiola winning the coaching survivor pool unless he's going to bring his nephew to NU, which seems very unlikely.

He came into a difficult situation, but I can't say that the O Line improved this year.

I will be stupified if Raiola is the one Rhule keeps. The O-line was probably the worst unit on the field the entire year (and the years prior). Close second was the backup QBs.

Maybe Rhule knows something we don't. Just seems like the oddest of choices.

If the current trend continues I don’t think HCR keeps Raiola. Has Raiola ever recruited anyone? HCR is hiring experienced recruiter to date. It is strange that he is one of the last on the previous staff. The OL started to look a smidge better at the EOY but still was the weakest position group on the team.

While I would be very surprised if Raiola stays on as o-line coach, the o-lines problems have much more to do with the lack of player development long before he arrived verses what Raiola did or didn't do. Still...
They were young, and seemed not to grow under previous coach, like others.
Interesting if true

Yes, I'm sure someone as experienced as Matt Rhule would be fooled by thar.
Maybe Rhules sees something in Raiola.
The same experienced Matt Rhule that is brilliant enough to ask the dude that has the worst coaching record in NU history, including a loss to 6-6 FCS Georgia Southern and 1-11 Northwestern this year, which of his awesome staff is worth keeping? And out of all those possibilities he'd pick the coach of the worst unit on the team. Really?

Last edited:
Would love to see all the squirming among the “it’s all about the assistants” crowd when Raiola does well with a HC that turns up the temperature in practice and let’s the OL be coached to win.

The same experienced Matt Rhule that is brilliant enough to ask the dude that has the worst coaching record in NU history, including a loss to 6-6 FCS Georgia Southern and 1-11 Northwestern this year, which of his awesome staff is worth keeping? And out of all those possibilities he'd pick the coach of the worst unit on the team. Really?

Do you think it's possible that he was just being diplomatic when he said that? I think Matt Rhule had 90% of his staff planned before the press conference.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back