• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The most accurate passer in the big ten

Nobody will ever be as dominate as Saban. You need a reality check pal. Case closed
Merci beaucoup for the forthright manner in which you answered my inquiry as to the questionable nature of your first comment and its inherent potential for being the actions of one who would wish to pull up the piscine species lurking in the depths. I am satisfied that your follow-up response has once and for all put this matter to rest....

Last edited:

You left off "7 games a year" at the end of that sentence.

7 > 4.

With the occasional 9 or 10 win season, they’ve been better than Cally or Riley’s versions of Nebraska. I hate the ditch chickens like everyone else, but they’ve been better than NU has of late. Unfortunately.

If Iowa wins 8 games, Ferentz gets a bonus, so I assume that 8 wins is their threshold for a "successful season." Meanwhile, we have twice fired coaches who had just won 9 games, with a game yet to play. Neither time did that work out so well for us, but on the bright side, we're not 'Bama fans calling for Saban's head because he lost a game: https://thespun.com/sec/alabama-fans-fire-nick-saban-trending-loss-clemson

For God's sake, I AM A NEBRASKA FAN! You're preaching to the choir, but you also sound lost in the 90s when you think that that's still who we are. We're not that team anymore. You make me want to take bets with you against Nebraska because you're not seeing reality. Yes, we can get to be competitive at a national level again, but it doesn't just happen because ... "we're Nebraska." Again, we are 5-3 against Minnesota in this century/millenium, and I can add that the worst @$$-whipping administered by either side was what Minnesota did to us in 2017. I'd love to not have to worry about them anymore. We're not there yet. I'll be glad to be wrong.
How about we keep this civil... Not asking you to take bets against Nebraska which would be ridicilous. We normally get along pretty well at least I thought so? We simply have a difference of opinion regarding Minny. I believe they are simply a flash in the pan which remains to be seen over the next 3 or 4 years. I'm not even going to talk about 2017 with Mr Rogers coaching a completely deflated team! We certainly got some payback giving them a beatdown last season imo!

Yes the Huskers have to prove this season they are truly on the up swing which I firmly believe to be true. Folks seem pretty high on Minny so we'll just have to wait for our game with them. There are few if ANY gimmie games anymore on which we agree. Having said that lets review where Nebraska and Minny finishes their 2019 seasons respectively. Not trying to create a "donnybrook" simply have a different opinion regarding these programs.......... Have a great day............

Last edited:
Nobody will ever be as dominate as Saban. You need a reality check pal. Case closed
Never and Nobody 2 of the dumbest words in the English language. I am sure in the 50s no one thought anyone would be as good as Bud Wilkinson. After the 90s no one would be as good as TO. Never say never or nobody.

7 > 4.

With the occasional 9 or 10 win season, they’ve been better than Cally or Riley’s versions of Nebraska. I hate the ditch chickens like everyone else, but they’ve been better than NU has of late. Unfortunately.

That's not saying much. Iowa is the definition of slightly above mediocre. Ferentz does just enough to keep his job every year.

How about we keep this civil... Not asking you to take bets against Nebraska which would be ridicilous. We normally get along pretty well at least I thought so? We simply have a difference of opinion regarding Minny. I believe they are simply a flash in the pan which remains to be seen over the next 3 or 4 years. I'm not even going to talk about 2017 with Mr Rogers coaching a completely deflated team! We certainly got some payback giving them a beatdown last season imo!

Yes the Huskers have to prove this season they are truly on the up swing which I firmly believe to be true. Folks seem pretty high on Minny so we'll just have to wait for our game with them. There are few if ANY gimmie games anymore on which we agree. Having said that lets review where Nebraska and Minny finishes their 2019 seasons respectively. Not trying to create a "donnybrook" simply have a different opinion regarding these programs.......... Have a great day............

If I were being "uncivil" or trying to create a "donnybrook," you should report those posts. That didn't happen. I'm not upset or angry or whatever with you. To be honest, I didn't even remember who wrote the annoying post cherry-picking years so that we looked better.

What did happen is that we disagreed about the quality of Minnesota relative to Nebraska last year and going into this year. I think that Minnesota can beat Nebraska this year; you took exception to that. If that blows anyone's mind, I can't imagine what these statements will do:
  1. Colorado can beat Nebraska;
  2. Purdue can beat Nebraska;
  3. Northwestern can beat Nebraska
  4. Ohio State should beat Nebraska;
  5. Wisconsin should beat Nebraska;
  6. Iowa should beat Nebraska;
  7. Maryland can beat Nebraska;
  8. Indiana can beat Nebraska;
  9. Illinois can beat Nebraska;
  10. Northern Illinois can beat Nebraska.
(Fwiw, apart from a natural disaster or team tragedy, I do not think that South Alabama can beat Nebraska.)

There isn't a team on our schedule that we can't beat, and there isn't a team on our schedule besides South Alabama who can't beat us. I'm tired of hearing how we "should" dominate this or that team, and how such-and-such a team is a gimme. Like I said, I didn't even remember who said what because there was more than one person instantly willing to say that Minnesota is an automatic win.

I am genuinely curious, though: Have you watched the Minnesota games from the end of last year? Specifically, did you see either the Purdue or Wisconsin games? That's what their defense looked like after they switched their DC. They pounded Wisconsin even with their best defender (Cashman) kicked out of the game for targeting. If anyone in this thread keeps talking about Minnesota without answering that one simple question--did you watch their games at the end of the year--I'm not going to take what they say seriously enough to respond. That's not meant as an insult. It's just not worth the time to type up a response if the other guy is just going to keep saying the same stuff without being willing to look at the evidence that goes against their opinions.

Didn't see the Purdue game but did watch the Wisky(W) and Northwestern (L) and their bowl game W. I also watched the Husker game take them to the woodshed. We out gained them by over 200 yds which is significant considering we had a turnover and they didn't. I realize you're not big on stats but I believe they are a good indicator of how teams usually perform over a season. Their most impressive win was Wisky and they played an excellent game.

Minny finished 9th total offense in conference while Nebraska finished 2nd! That's a HUGE difference considering only OSU had a more productive offense then Nebraska. If you want to discount that's fine but on defense Minny finished 6th while we finished 12th. However there was only 35 yds difference in total yds allowed. That's hardly "cherry picking" stats.. they are what the are. Again if you don't feel stats are indicative of anything so be it. Lets also remember that was PJ's 2nd year in the BIG while SF's first! Does it matter? Well considering PJ went 2-7 in conference his first season I'd say he did a good job last year. Lets see how he does this coming season.

I agreed there are very very few gimmies anymore and I AM NOT saying Minny is a sure win! I'm talking more about their over all trajectory of their program versus Nebraska. I believe Minny will not be in the conversation about division winners after next season. Only time will tell which program will excel over the next 5 to 10 years. It's going to play out regardless of anyone's opinion on the forum so we'll see what happens.

I agreed there are very very few gimmies anymore and I AM NOT saying Minny is a sure win! I'm talking more about their over all trajectory of their program versus Nebraska. I believe Minny will not be in the conversation about division winners after next season. Only time will tell which program will excel over the next 5 to 10 years. It's going to play out regardless of anyone's opinion on the forum so we'll see what happens.
This is what I am saying. It is going to get old after a bit. Then they will start to fade.

I agreed there are very very few gimmies anymore and I AM NOT saying Minny is a sure win!
Here we can agree.
I believe Minny will not be in the conversation about division winners after next season.
Here we do not. Fleck's roster was overloaded last year with freshmen, and it'll be similar this year. There were a lot of underclassmen on the field whipping Wisconsin last year. They're not going to be worse this year.

When it comes to the stats that you're quoting, yeah, I pretty much think that they're just slightly above meaningless. Going by stats, we should be celebrating the 32nd anniversary of our '87 National Championship or the 36th anniversary of our '83 National Championship. The Rams and Chiefs should be celebrating the fireworks of their Super Bowl rematch. BYU would be neck and neck with 'Bama for most NCs after their decades of offensive excellence under LaVell Edwards. It doesn't work like that. Yes, it's better to score a lot of points than not, and it's better to give up fewer points than not, but when and against whom matter a whole heck of a lot more than the season totals.

Finally, you keep referencing how Nebraska destroyed Minnesota last year.... Did you watch the whole game? I didn't. My wife and I were at some friends' home, they didn't have the game on their TV, and I didn't think it would be close, so we had agreed before we went that I'd check the score; if it was close, I'd take my buddy out somewhere to watch it, but if not, we'd spend the day there. It seemed like a smart plan at first. I kept checking the scores, and for the first half it looked like that was a brilliant plan. But then there was that second half.... If Eric Lee didn't stop that kick returner from scoring, not only are you NOT sitting here now talking about how bad Minnesota was, we might not have won that game. After we stopped them and scored again, I was breathing easier.... I was also at a sports bar to which I had dragged my friend to come with me to watch the end of the game because I couldn't believe the scores that I was seeing on my phone. If you weren't a little nervous, you might have stopped paying attention after halftime. Minnesota had no problem scoring a ton of points on us in the 3rd quarter, and their best RBs weren't playing. Throughout the game, Minnesota uncharacteristically had a lot of penalties, plus turnovers. They didn't play very well, and their DC was fired shortly afterwards. It seems like you're in love with the statistics, which don't really tell you that much about that team or that game.

This is what I am saying. It is going to get old after a bit. Then they will start to fade.
I wouldn't be surprised by that, but I think that Fleck has ambitions for something bigger, so if he can get a big year or two and get a promotion, he'll take it. Make no mistake, though, he really is building a solid program. They're getting walk-ons now that they didn't get before. Their facilities are being upgraded. He's recruited very well. Their roster is loaded with underclassmen. A lot of Minnesota's football future depends heavily on what happens in the next few years, namely, who replaces Fleck if he's successful, and how do they build consistency there. They've got the money now to do it. I don't know if they will, but there isn't a team in the B1G West right now that is projecting to be worse 5 years from now, and almost all have high ceilings.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back