• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Key to Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, what do you define as winning? Because as it stands NU is winning nearly 10 games a year. Is it winning conference championships or national championships? I think thats important to note, because as far as winning goes, we are winning. If its conference championships, then I think that indeed would boost opening doors into kids regionally across the B1G. If its national championships, it helps open doors to kids across the country. But in both cases, if you say every single year you need to win the conference and win the national championship to get the recruits, that in itself is a pipe dream. Its not realistic. By winning, we are drawing in the Newbys, the Taylors, Natters etc out there. So its not something that needs to start happening, it is happening at the result of us winning. Saying we need to start winning comes off as we are squeaking by .500 every year. If its winning the conference or the national title, I agree that helps, but thats not something thats going to happen every year.

There are different levels of winning.

Programs that lose EVERY year are going to have a harder time with the big time recruits than programs that win 6-7 consistently. And programs that win 6-7 are going to have a harder time than those that win 9-10. And programs that win conf. titles fairly regularly and compete for national titles have it a little easier yet. How much easier? Depends obviously. Some years it might open up a lot more doors...others just a couple. But we also know that the RIGHT recruit can change everything (Tommie?).

And no, I'm not saying you have to win conf./national titles every year. But with some the perception that you are a player on the national scene...a real threat to play for a national title...might be the difference between that door opening and not.

Like I said before...it's one of the things that a program can control (to an extent). You can't change your georgraphy. You can't change your conference (not often anyway). The facilities advantage is more or less gone. The "tradition" thing is nice but really a lot of that they don't even know a lot about until the door is opened. Recruits these days have never seen NU thrive in the spotlight. The more you win...the bigger you win...the greater your profile and the better your are perceived.

Last edited:

There are different levels of winning.

Programs that lose EVERY year are going to have a harder time with the big time recruits than programs that win 6-7 consistently. And programs that win 6-7 are going to have a harder time than those that win 9-10. And programs that win conf. titles fairly regularly and compete for national titles have it a little easier yet. How much easier? Depends obviously. Some years it might open up a lot more doors...others just a couple. But we also know that the RIGHT recruit can change everything (Tommie?).

And no, I'm not saying you have to win conf./national titles every year. But with some the perception that you are a player on the national scene...a real threat to play for a national title...might be the difference between that door opening and not.

Like I said before...it's one of the things that a program can control (to an extent). You can't change your georgraphy. You can't change your conference (not often anyway). The facilities advantage is more or less gone. The "tradition" thing is nice but really a lot of that they don't even know a lot about until the door is opened. Recruits these days have never seen NU thrive in the spotlight. The more you win...the bigger you win...the greater your profile and the better your are perceived.

You're right, I definitely agree. I think we've seen many times what one player can do to increase the teams chance of winning. David is probably the most recent example. If we keep the 10 win seasons up, slap a couple of 11-12+ wins in there with a conference and BCS win that absolutely helps recruiting, at the very least helps open the doors.

Last edited:
I just had 7 five stars, 17 four stars, and 1 two star Nebraska kid in my dynasty.... bunch of no talent ass-clowns down in north stadium running our recruitiing, don't know why Bo doesn't just call me... i've got it figured out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back