• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The IMG Academy - Wow!

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
This is sort of football related because one of our players, Broc Brando from Lincoln, attended the IMG academy.

I am on vacation in Florida and I recently spent 5 days lodging at the IMG academy. The place is amazing. For junior athletes, it might be the best sports training academy in the world.

The campus is 600 acres! It provides world class training in football, soccer, track & field, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, and lacrosse...and I may have missed a couple more.

I looks like a typical college campus, however just like a military post, you must have authorization to gain access.

IMG has an East and a West Campus. The East campus is for tennis and basketball. The basketball facility has four full-size basketball courts in one building. They have 4 indoor tennis courts and about 50 outdoor tennis courts.

The West campus is where all of the students live...in modern 4-story dormitories. The 2 campuses are about 500 yards apart (separated by an ominous swamp) and trams run every 10 minutes to take folks to and from each campus. The swamp is crossed on a long wooden bridge.

The West campus is huge. It has the dorms, the schools, the cafeteria, and the large fields for all of the other sports.

Both campuses have facilities for weight training and sports medicine/rehab.

I am sure we all trained for our sports after school. That's not how it is done at IMG. On every school day, the tennis players were on the courts training from 8 to 11:30 AM...with one tennis pro on every court and not more than 4 students on a court. On a normal day, I'd say 30 to 40 courts were being used...and all of the kids were excellent players...world class junior players. I suppose that is true of all the athletes that attend IMG...you have to be a top notch athlete to get an invitation to attend IMG. To me it looked like none of the students had more than 4% body fat.

The student-athletes come from all over the world. I ate at the cafeteria a few times and one time I found myself standing in line behind a 7-footer from China.

The kids attend academic classes in the afternoon. Like a military academy, they all wore the same uniform every day, but it is an athletic uniform of one kind or another.

Anyway, the IMG academy was the brain child of tennis pro Nick Bollettieri. Many years ago it started out as the Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Florida (a year-round resident tennis academy with the students attending Bradenton high school). Nick hooked up with IMG and they expanded it to include other sports and now they have their own academic school. It's like a private small town.

I ran into Nick while I was there. He is 87 years old now and he still spends time on the courts teaching. I told him that his vision has had a positive impact on countless thousands of people and then I gave him a salute. He saluted me back and told me he was once an Army paratrooper.

Our HC Scott Frost and Nick Bolletterri have a couple things in common...they are both great visionaries who are having a positive impact on the lives many, many people.

Nick Bollettieri

nick-bollettieri-headshot-200x275.jpg

Last edited:

Anyway, the IMG academy was the brain child of tennis pro Nick Bollettieri. Many years ago it started out as the Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Florida (a year-round resident tennis academy with the students attending Bradenton high school). Nick hooked up with IMG and they expanded it to include other sports and now they have their own academic school. It's like a private small town.
I ran into Nick while I was there. He is 87 years old now and he still spends time on the courts teaching. I told him that his vision has had a positive impact on countless thousands of people and then I gave him a salute. He saluted me back and told me he was once an Army paratrooper.
Our HC Scott Frost and Nick Bolletterri are cut from the same cloth...they are both great visionaries who are having a positive impact on the lives many, many people.
Nick Bollettieri
There's a doc film out there called "Love Means Zero" that is largely about Nick B. I HIGHLY recommend watching it to get a fuller picture of the man. (Especially if you are going to compare him to SF.)

No, but I watched the 2019 Australian Open semi-finalist Danielle Collins training there with her coach Pat Harrison. I also saw a young player (I had never heard of before) who has the potential to become a world champion. Her name is Whitney Osuigwe. She won the 2017 French open Junior Championship (18 and under) at age 15. She will turn 17 this April, and to me she already looks as good or better than the 25-year old Danielle Collins.

Unlike most female tennis players, Whitney has great speed like a sprinter. Her footwork and balance are exceptional. She has a powerful forehand, backhand and serve...and she is very serious. She never smiles when she is training. She is coached by her dad who hails from Lagos, Nigeria and she has been training at IMG since she was 6 years old. They say she has a younger sister who could become even better than her.

It will be interesting to see how her career progresses.

Last edited:

I would beg to differ that this is Husker related. I have a friend who's son has had (9) career 300 games in bowling. He once bowled with me and his dad at Parkway Lanes so I guess that story is somewhat Husker Related.

HCSF and his staff will be in contact with football players from the IMG Academy for years to come. Their football team travels around the nation to find suitable competition. It is loaded with 4-stars. HCSF will always have a relationship with the IMG academy...or at least have an eye on what's going on there.

In fact, Husker coaches from many sports are probably in contact with IMG. It is a one stop shop for great athletes in many sports that the Huskers compete in.

Imagine they would have a hotel/motel like deal so parents could visit kids and monitor their kids progress like good helicopter parents would, so how much were the accomodations per night when you stayed there?

This is sort of football related because one of our players, Broc Brando from Lincoln, attended the IMG academy.

I am on vacation in Florida and I recently spent 5 days lodging at the IMG academy. The place is amazing. For junior athletes, it might be the best sports training academy in the world.

The campus is 600 acres! It provides world class training in football, soccer, track & field, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, and lacrosse...and I may have missed a couple more.

I looks like a typical college campus, however just like a military post, you must have authorization to gain access.

IMG has an East and a West Campus. The East campus is for tennis and basketball. The basketball facility has four full-size basketball courts in one building. They have 4 indoor tennis courts and about 50 outdoor tennis courts.

The West campus is where all of the students live...in modern 4-story dormitories. The 2 campuses are about 500 yards apart (separated by an ominous swamp) and trams run every 10 minutes to take folks to and from each campus. The swamp is crossed on a long wooden bridge.

The West campus is huge. It has the dorms, the schools, the cafeteria, and the large fields for all of the other sports.

Both campuses have facilities for weight training and sports medicine/rehab.

I am sure we all trained for our sports after school. That's not how it is done at IMG. On every school day, the tennis players were on the courts training from 8 to 11:30 AM...with one tennis pro on every court and not more than 4 students on a court. On a normal day, I'd say 30 to 40 courts were being used...and all of the kids were excellent players...world class junior players. I suppose that is true of all the athletes that attend IMG...you have to be a top notch athlete to get an invitation to attend IMG. To me it looked like none of the students had more than 4% body fat.

The student-athletes come from all over the world. I ate at the cafeteria a few of times and one time I found myself standing in line behind a 7-footer from China.

The kids attend academic classes in the afternoon. Like a military academy, they all wore the same uniform every day, but it is an athletic uniform of one kind or another.

Our HC Scott Frost and Nick Bolletterri are cut from the same cloth...they are both great visionaries who are having a positive impact on the lives many, many people.

Nick Bollettieri

I grew up in Northern MN and one of my best HS friends and his older sister attended the Tennis academy back in the early 80's. They both ended up getting scholarships to plan in college so the cost of attending paid off

I coach hugh school basketball at a school in a Wisconsin. Last year we had an athlete at the school - a 6’6” 250 pound freshman who played on the football team. This kid had the incredibly strongest hands I’ve ever seen - ever.

As a true high school freshman he dominated on the b-ball court. He was the #1 rated freshman football player in the state. As a freshman he had a dozen scholarship offers including Wisconsin and Iowa.

Played high school football this year. Won a state championship. Started the b-ball season then mysteriously dropped out of school in December. Showed up at IMG. Within a week had a dozen new scholarships from Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida and aTm.

Your average person can’t. My understanding is they don’t have scholarships but you can qualify for financial aid.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back